Modest Suggestions for Galactus 2: Galactric Boogaloo

Stax the Foyer
Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
First, please consider a Galactric Boogaloo event card. I think we can all agree that would be an excellent use of the art department's time and energy.

On to the real suggestions, which I tried to keep reasonable and practical, given the short timeframe for revisions before the next run:

1) Please reset the Galactus boss pin along with the 8-hour refresh of the minion pins. This change would mean that everyone would get the full six attempts every refresh, no matter when they do their clear during that 8 hour period. These boss fights give us an opportunity to get away from needing optimal spacing between clears, and would let us clear at our leisure over the entire 8 hour period. That's a big quality of life change.

One of the Galactus features that I liked was that the boss pin didn't reset when a stage was completed. That meant that server problems during the first 8 hours didn't put some people behind the curve right from the beginning of the event. This would do something similar for every round, and let us plan around PvP and real life without negatively impacting our alliance. Target points can be adjusted to compensate, but most of our clears were timed to get the full six attempts anyway. It shouldn't affect the total possible score too much, it just makes it less painful to achieve that.

2) Please consider some way of letting us know who the enemies are in a wave pin, or remove wave pins from the minion fights, at least once the scaling gets cranked up to 11. Losing three healthpacks because of a surprise team composition doesn't play well with a boss node where you're supposed to lose repeatedly. It's one thing to have a surprise wave composition in a regular pve where you're likely to complete it at least three other times. It's another to have a surprise and possible wipe on a node you're only going to be playing once.

I like wave nodes, and don't normally mind their surprise nature (it's half the fun), but with the scaling we were seeing on the minion pins in the latter rounds, the health pack requirements on the main mode, and the pressure not to let down your alliance, it's not a good combination, and certainly not a fun one.

3) Generally, please tune the fight on the easier side. A lot can go wrong when you're coordinating an alliance full of players and a multi-day event. Just getting people working together over a multi-day event should count for something. Look at all the stories of alliances who don't normally get concerted engagement, who ended up disappointed by the first run.

Even if you want to keep a Round 8 clear blisteringly tough, making Round 6 easier to clear, or dropping the first cover down to Round 5, would give coordinated alliances something to shoot for (and would sell some roster slots), even if their rosters aren't to a level where they'd be able to get results like that in an ordinary PvE. It'll feel special, and earned. Which seems perfect for an event like this.

You've still got a chance to end this on a high note. Please, loosen things up a bit, have a little fun, and don't worry too much if, just this once, a couple too many people get a cover (that they'll have to buy a roster slot to use). It's a party.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    OMG.. this wins for best thread title ever... we were just talking about Breakin 2 at work yesterday...

That aside. this needs to be read!
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    All I got out of this thread was Galactric Boogaloo needs to be the name of the event. Other things sound good, but Galactric Boogaloo is a must have.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    3a) reduce the per-turn AP yield of Great Machines and Devourer of Worlds significantly, but greatly increase Galactus' life. Make the fight a marathon, not a mad dash.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have it on very good authority that run 2 of Galactus will be a much better experience for all.
  • Koorogi_859
    Koorogi_859 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    I'd be all aboard for Galactic Boogaloo, so long as this plays in the menu screen throughout the whole event:
    https://youtu.be/SvPZo52X5vo
  • You mean you didn't like the surprise slasher in the waves?

icon_e_ugeek.gif
  • Always found it a little strange that the "rich get richer" in these free to play games. The only alliances who can get to the toughest rounds are the ones who already have solid rosters. I think it would go a long way if the red hulk was given out much earlier, say rounds 3-5, and the last 3 rounds are legendary tokens.

Then more alliances can get them and more people will have them for essentials. Also, it could lead to an increase in revenue with more people buying covers.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    so i'm assuming at this point we still don't have an update from demiurge on what the planned modifications are? and we start round 2 tomorrow?

come on guys, this was one of the biggest complaints of round 1. please give us something so that we know how to approach this. if things are the same, then we know. but we have been told there are changes. WHAT ARE THOSE CHANGES icon_question.gif
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    so i'm assuming at this point we still don't have an update from demiurge on what the planned modifications are? and we start round 2 tomorrow?

come on guys, this was one of the biggest complaints of round 1. please give us something so that we know how to approach this. if things are the same, then we know. but we have been told there are changes. WHAT ARE THOSE CHANGES icon_question.gif
    I'm torn on that.

If they tell us, we strategize and they change it. If they don't tell us, they have to keep it as is, but we find out as it happens, and we're both stuck with it (player and dev alike).
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    i'd be happy if they told us:

when will it start?
    who is featured?
    are we suppose to lose?
    if so, will health packs and boost be unlimited?
    will they tone down cosmic tile generation, color generation conversion?
    will minion battle be easier or be punishment nodes?
    will they remove "true healing"?

okay, i know the answer to last one, but one can wish.