Best 3* team to reach 1300 progression in PVP?

Arctic_One
Arctic_One Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Disregard anyone's roster. You have one of every 3* cover there is and an unlimited amount of iso and HP. Now you can build a trio of characters to use in PvP that you are extremely confident will reach 1300 progression.

Please list the 3 characters as well as their build.
Feel free to explain any subtle strategies for that teams success.
Remember though, this is a team that will be facing 4* lineups as well and will need to hold its own in that realm too.

My go to now is Cyclops[5/5/3] + GSBW[5/3/5] + Doom[4/5/4]

Doom at 5 blue turns every blue tile to black, with good timing this creates a match 5 or 2, about 10 black ap & a very nice cascade. Black & pink help very little.
Cyclops at 5 yellow creates a match 5 and/or 8+ red ap as well as eliminates team up tiles before using GSBW pink. Red attacks almost every other turn or better. Black is used only when red and yellow are depleted and more than 9 red exist.
GSBW pink to gain Green ap to do damage, massive destruction and ap gain.

Comments

• CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Best to ask which is best for PVP Simulator.
    For regular PVP, you generally need to pick from the weekly buffed list.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cyc, fist, switch. Witch generates purple, purple generates black, profit. Biggest hurdle would be Jean since she'd blow me up every crit.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    arctic - to me you have to be faster than that team or the 4*s will cut your match short for you. my team starts with fist:

fist/Cyclops/witch - I think I'd go this route. all about speed - however, not good against fully covered jean (too many crits produced with them).

fist/Cyclops/hood - playing against 4* teams hood helps a ton because what will kill you is their abilities and if you can delay their abilities, all the better. hood is so squishy defensively, he only lasts a few turns on defense, so much less effective.

I also like fist/cage/mags, but each user has 2 primary colors used and most pvp has a featured and fist/cage is key. unless your featured has red and/or blue, this team can struggle.

that said, I did make it to 1300 with cage and fist unboosted (i.e. played at 166 in the event) in the last quicksilver pvp. but it cost an arm, leg, and my pet dog in hp for hopping, so not sure how reasonable that is. made it much cheaper (new puppy survived) when Cyclops was boosted. but it still cost a ton. i won't be chasing 1300 again unless 1) I'm in great shape with hp and 2) i have a studly team boosted. otherwise its cost prohibitive for me. I'm back to targeting 1K with 1 or 2 shields and that is much more sane.
  • Hayek
    Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    You really can't rely on one team. It will depend heavily on who's boosted that week and who your featured character is. I talk about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33283
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    arctic - to me you have to be faster than that team or the 4*s will cut your match short for you. my team starts with fist:

fist/Cyclops/witch - I think I'd go this route. all about speed - however, not good against fully covered jean (too many crits produced with them).

fist/Cyclops/hood - playing against 4* teams hood helps a ton because what will kill you is their abilities and if you can delay their abilities, all the better. hood is so squishy defensively, he only lasts a few turns on defense, so much less effective.

I also like fist/cage/mags, but each user has 2 primary colors used and most pvp has a featured and fist/cage is key. unless your featured has red and/or blue, this team can struggle.

that said, I did make it to 1300 with cage and fist unboosted (i.e. played at 166 in the event) in the last quicksilver pvp. but it cost an arm, leg, and my pet dog in hp for hopping, so not sure how reasonable that is. made it much cheaper (new puppy survived) when Cyclops was boosted. but it still cost a ton. i won't be chasing 1300 again unless 1) I'm in great shape with hp and 2) i have a studly team boosted. otherwise its cost prohibitive for me. I'm back to targeting 1K with 1 or 2 shields and that is much more sane.

Can I ask how much HP you spent? I am just now in the position of being able to hit 1000, but it's costing me ~500 HP each time and maybe some DP points to whale the last match. I find it to be worth it for a 4* cover (especially during the season), but curious how much extra I'll be dishing out once I start competing for the 1300.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    IMO, any team of 3*s for PvP that doesn't have iron fist and someone to use his black is wrong. He is hands down the best 3* for PvP because he is the fastest. Speed is king for shield hopping.

Cyclops is probably the obvious choice since his black is so good. After that, #3 is up for debate. Switch is good for generating purple, but not much else. Cage can increase sustainability, but has color overlap with cyclops. Doom generates even more black, but is a little slow. Switch is probably the best option.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arctic_One wrote:
    Disregard anyone's roster. You have one of every 3* cover there is and an unlimited amount of iso and HP. Now you can build a trio of characters to use in PvP that you are extremely confident will reach 1300 progression.

Please list the 3 characters as well as their build.
    Feel free to explain any subtle strategies for that teams success.
    Remember though, this is a team that will be facing 4* lineups as well and will need to hold its own in that realm too.

My go to now is Cyclops[5/5/3] + GSBW[5/3/5] + Doom[4/5/4]

Too slow. You need a minimum of one AP accelerator for hopping. IF/SW are great for speeding up matches.

Cyclops at 5/3/5, SW at 5/3/5, and IF at 5/5/3 would be a good 3* combo that accelerates black and purple. Even if you lose one character early, either cyclops or IF can still do high damage.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    MrGaunt25 wrote:
    Can I ask how much HP you spent? I am just now in the position of being able to hit 1000, but it's costing me ~500 HP each time and maybe some DP points to whale the last match. I find it to be worth it for a 4* cover (especially during the season), but curious how much extra I'll be dishing out once I start competing for the 1300.
    well, if you'd like to read the whole saga and have some time and patience,

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32824&hilit=+1300+cage+fist

so I guess I spent a total of 1800 hp (1600 in shields and 200 in boosts). so, hope you didn't have a mouthful of coffee or anything, feel free to clean that up now. yep, was crazy. had 2 bad hops that wasted my first 3 shields and went crazy. this was hb red cover before they started the legendary token. since then I've made it 3 times for a spend of 500-800 hp. still a lot but a heck of a lot better. the QS event had the hb red going for it, and I took it as a learning experience of sorts, much of which I learned I used in my other trips to 1300. I had to get over the 'fear' of taking on 4* teams and figure out how to beat them (also which ones to take on and which ones to skip) - because that's pretty much all you find past about 800-900. fistbusters are the softest teams up there and they will still mess you up if they get a cascade.