PVP Question

I have a question that is not Galactus-related (sorry), and that may or may not be anniversary related either. I am about halfway through the three star transition, and have started using 3*s more than 2*s over the past few weeks for the first time. I have never scored over 600 in a PVP event, although I did all events last season and got the 10-pack. I usually start PVP events 1-2 hours before the end due to my personal life schedule, and haven't really had a terribly difficult time hitting 400-500 points. My roster is self-capped at 114 - I'm waiting for a few more specific covers to push to 120.

Last night I started the Black Vortex event about 7 hours before it ended (11pm EST). I did this because I wanted the 800 point reward (grocket) and because of the anniversary tokens sprinkled throughout (got 6/6 2*s). I played sporadically for the first few hours, then pretty much nonstop for the last 4.

It was grueling. I saw nothing but 166+ teams, of which 1/5th were PX/GSBW/SW. I got to around 675 points before I would lose more points during a match than I gained. I soldiered on for a while and ended up shielding with an hour left at around 660 points. I skipped for probably 5k worth of ISO overall, but couldn't find anything remotely close to my weight class. I ended up focusing on "dumb" (but max) teams that included Colossus, QS, etc, and basically ate table scraps till I plateaued.

Is this one of those "vet brackets" I've heard about? Or was this specifically related to the anniversary, or just unlucky timing for me? Is there any idea of the placement criteria for one of those difficult brackets? Any idea how to get out? Any other tips? Between the insta-losses of 100+ points and the unfavorable lineups, I'm not sure how it will be possible for me to ever advance to routinely getting the 800 point reward. I feel like that should be attainable for me at this point in the game.

Comments

• Start and push earlier. Everyone is grinding it out in the final 8 hours, making it much harder to climb without getting hit back. If you start earlier you won't get hit as often and can hit progression rewards with less effort.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Also, by the time that you're joinig, a lot of guys have already hit their target progression and are letting their points free-fall because they don't care about 3* placement. And the ones that do care are shielded.