Memories of a Better Time - Looking Back at Last Year

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So I am sitting at my desk remembering how awesome Anniversary was last year. I joined MPQ during Sentry's release but I played very casually until the Anniversary. I remember all of the tokens.. tons.. I was swimming in Gold! I had so many 3*'s that I didn't even have roster slots, like 13 extra characters! I spent money, as I am sure many players did. This helped me transition from 1-2* player to 2-3* player, it was great, exciting and fun. I was hoping this Anniversary would do the same but transition some of us 3* players to the 4* tier, especially since 5*'s are here.

I'm not here to complain, we've seen enough of those posts. I am here to show the devs how great last year was. I looked at the posts from last year's Anniversary, despite a token issue (that the devs fixed!), it was overall positive from everyone. I provided some links below:

Anniversary Poll: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=17910&view=viewpoll
Out of 213 votes, the first Anniversary was rated very positive. Especially when you compare it to the recent Galactus poll: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=33623. While it is unfair to compare an Anniversary to just the Galactus event, the Galactus event is the big feature for this year. The devs really needed to nail this event and they didn't.

Lightning Rounds Poll: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=17807&view=viewpoll
The 20-player Lightning Rounds was the highlight last year 82% loving it! Not only did it showcase the new 4*, Thoress but it gave us lots of tokens! And it was fun. To be fair, I did not expect 20-player Lightning Rounds to return and IceIX did state they wouldn't, but we could have had 50-100 player LRs! Heck LRs overall haven't been updated in months but that's an entirely separate issue.

Fixed Issues: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=17730
I don't remember the issue with the tokens, as I was still fairly new and did not look on the forums but IceIX rectified the issue. This year we are not getting a fix or even an apology because Galactus is supposed to kill us over and over and over again.. I don't need to discuss this further, it's been done in other posts but I wanted to point out how they took the time to fix their mistakes.

Positive Feedback: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=17873 and https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=17840
Believe it or not there actually was not too many posts about Anniversary, especially when you compare it to this years but I thought I would share some positive posts. Players loved last year overall. I think the devs have completely lost touched with what they think we want.

This year has felt more like Anniverscam than an actual celebration.. I would have no problem bringing my own cake but you're not even giving us any other treats (HP) or snacks (Good token rates). I will make this very clear: WE.. DO.. NOT.. WANT.. 2*'s! I want to remember how great Anniversary was, these tokens could have been 3* and above! Give some HP so the 1-2* players can get roster slots for the new characters. Believe me, the money will come! Read the posts, many players including myself decided to not open our wallets this Anniversary.

I really look forward to the devs reaction to everyone's posts and feedback about Galactus, PVP issues, and **** token % odds.

Comments

• user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    I created a new account 13 days ago hoping I could get some covers in anniversary. It has been very difficult to even build a roster to compete in regular events cause roster slots are so pricey. Im up to 3 for 500 which sounds like a deal but I cant earn any HP. Now I have this event where I cannot even play half the rounds because I don't have the required players and then the PvP boosts none of the characters awarded through the prologue. Last year's was certainly better because everyone had a chance to play.
  • Punisher5784
    user311 wrote:
    I created a new account 13 days ago hoping I could get some covers in anniversary. It has been very difficult to even build a roster to compete in regular events cause roster slots are so pricey. Im up to 3 for 500 which sounds like a deal but I cant earn any HP. Now I have this event where I cannot even play half the rounds because I don't have the required players and then the PvP boosts none of the characters awarded through the prologue. Last year's was certainly better because everyone had a chance to play.

It's very difficult to gain HP when you first start playing, most players usually pay $20 to get their first few slots. Now is the time to buy HP because there is rarely any sales. While you can pick and choose who you want to keep, you'll eventually need every character for the essential nodes in PVE and to gain the upper hand in PVP. Plus with Deadpool Daily, it's best to have every 3* so you do not miss out on covers, tacos and Iso. It will take time but you'll get there. Believe it or not, it's much easier to transition into 3* land than when I started played. Best of luck.

Edit: I just realized you've played before.. why did you create a new account?
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Man, I remember 1st anniversary like it was yesterday - SUCH an INCREDIBLE STARK CONTRAST to the last few days.

I just really don't get how they thought their design for the 2nd anniversary would feel like a celebration.

I'm glad the dev's got cake. Cause we players all got tinykitty. Thanks, loads.
  • Unknown
    edited October 2015
    I remember peeking at the forums last year during the Anniversary, and seeing a lot of people mad about the PVP and PVE events. (Venom: Heroic, Balance of Power, Combined Arms)

The only really interesting stuff about the anniversary that was unique was the 20 man 4or Lightning Rounds. If you weren't into that all the Anniversary gave you was some fustrating events and an iso boost.

I may honestly prefer this anniversary for having a new event debut, at least. I'm getting less rewards, but eh, I'm honestly having more fun with Galactus then I did with the 4or PVPs (even if I got more out of them) but that may be 'cause I ain't a fan of PVP, and only play it out of necessity.

Edit: In retrospect, the main thing that made the last anniversary fun was "Hey, we're just doing normal MPQ junk, but HERES A BUNCH OF FREE STUFF" moreso then new fun events. This Anniversary is more "Hey we ain't giving out AS MANY things but HERES A NEW EVENT" and well. Said new event ain't very popular.
  • Lightning round in the first year was exceptional. Should repeat this year but they prefer that we purchase iso than offering fun. icon_neutral.gif
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Last year I bought (with cash) enough tokens to fully cover TWO Devil Dinos. Why did I fully cover TWO Devil Dinos? It wasn't on purpose. I kept buying Stark Salaries and pumping 40 packs because I was getting lots of good 3* star covers. This year, 1 three * cover, 1500 ISO, and somewhere around 15 2* covers from my free tokens. I still have the HP I spent $20 on just before this 2nd anniversary week started in anticipation of the same awesome drop rates. I'm saving it until after the Anniversary is over to use on shields when I can get Heroic tokens again from PVP. That is, if I keep playing this game after this Anniversary is over.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Those Lightning Rounds from the last anniversary were awesome - and those Anniversary tokens were a thing of beauty. They really made you feel like you were part of a celebration, with Devil Dino falling out of them (or 3 stars) left and right. They were actually worth buying for the daily deal. Plus, DEVIL DINO! Where's our creative new four star for this year? I was hoping we'd get a cool new "novelty" four star falling out of tokens like crazy this year - Paste-Pot Pete? Lockjaw? Swarm? Rosterfarian-Man? "Win a tough battle with me every day during the anniversary to unlock one free roster slot!"

I think that's the crux of the matter for me - last year I felt like I was part of a celebration, and this year I feel like I am being punished for something, and I don't know what I did wrong. From the missing rewards in the PvP (where you get points, but no rewards, for some reason) to the brutal Galactus sub-nodes (which are supposed to be "easy/trivial") , to the murderous Galactus main node - perhaps the Anniversary dialog that stated "Bring your own cake" was being prophetic, as that feels like the birthday we get to celebrate - one where you are expected to "bring your own cake (fun)."
  • Punisher5784
    Exactly, last year felt like a celebration! I loved the Lightning Rounds.. maybe after seeing everyone's feedback they will bring it back.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for finding/bumping the old topics Punisher.

I still don't get why they decided to be so incredibly stingy with DD this year. If Anniversary is the only way to get him - he needs to be really high rate here. If it's not, put him in tokens and put him in rotation.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Like looking back on happy wedding photos the day before issuing divorce papers
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    I remember there were still a few issues, but overall it was much better.