On Galactus and data

jffdougan
jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I'll keep it short and simple - I ask the Demiurge team to post for us an after-action report on Galactus, no later than Friday 10/16/2015.

In order to be considered credible, the after-action report needs to have comments and conclusions backed up with data presented to the player base (or, at least, those of us on the forums/reddit). That data needs to consist, at a minimum, of the following:
  • Number of alliances that entered the Galactus event.
  • Number (percentage) of alliances completing each of the 8 rounds
  • Number of players that entered the Galactus event
  • Number (percentage) of players that achieved each of the reward tiers for personal progression, beginning with the event token at 120,000 points
  • Approximate number (percentage) of victories against Galactus in the main node

I'm a science teacher. I try very hard to teach my students that you cannot make claims without having some justification for them, and that science works through a peer-review process.

You can tell us everything you want about "working as intended." In the past, I have been willing to take you at your word when you say that. The lack of fun I have experienced in Galactus Hungers leaves me doubting whether that event is working as intended. (I've even been willing to take Kabir's reddit claim about drop rates balancing due to increased number of tokens, coming at it from a certain perspective.)

Mods, you may feel free to merge this into the Galactus vs. Ultron thread if you think it more appropriate, but I have started it here so there is the chance it reaches the eyeballs of a red name.

Comments

• DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    I want to see ...

Daily usage stats before the anniversary and after.
    Comparative stats between round one of Galactus and round two.

Those will tell the tale. Lots of people worked hard and were miserable, but completed round one. Will they bother with round 2? Will they play when this fiasco is over?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really want to see this also. They have been catering the game more and more to the top tier. I'm curious how many people/alliances can't or won't do this. I know our alliance has stalled out on round 5.

I'd also be curious on the count of rounds started but disconnected. I know some world be true connection problems, but I imagine a larger part of that would be due to people gaming the system for a board where they had zero chance.
  • I'd honestly much rather see these numbers for a regular PVE, like the Simulator there.

I mean, otherwise you just get a bunch of bad looking numbers without context.

Like, .02% of players reaching the Galactus Legendary sounds pretty bad but if the amount of players who reach an Iso-8 Brotherhood Legendary or a Simulator Legendary are .03% then it doesn't seem that bad.

There's a lot more low level casual players in this game then we anticipate, usually.
  • biryon
    biryon Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    I'm really worried about the force quit trick skewing the data. Ice mentioned that people were doing better than they expected, but it turns out many of them were using an exploit. Then the devs are going to say that people beat it so it must be tuned properly, when people are actually using workarounds because it's so awful.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    jffdougan wrote:
    I'll keep it short and simple - I ask the Demiurge team to post for us an after-action report on Galactus, no later than Friday 10/16/2015.

In order to be considered credible, the after-action report needs to have comments and conclusions backed up with data presented to the player base (or, at least, those of us on the forums/reddit). That data needs to consist, at a minimum, of the following:
    • Number (percentage) of players that achieved each of the reward tiers for personal progression, beginning with the event token at 120,000 points
    • Approximate number (percentage) of victories against Galactus in the main node

I'm a science teacher. I try very hard to teach my students that you cannot make claims without having some justification for them, and that science works through a peer-review process.

You can tell us everything you want about "working as intended." In the past, I have been willing to take you at your word when you say that. The lack of fun I have experienced in Galactus Hungers leaves me doubting whether that event is working as intended. (I've even been willing to take Kabir's reddit claim about drop rates balancing due to increased number of tokens, coming at it from a certain perspective.)

Mods, you may feel free to merge this into the Galactus vs. Ultron thread if you think it more appropriate, but I have started it here so there is the chance it reaches the eyeballs of a red name.

you should also ask for hard numbers on how many health packs and boost that were bought, the week before, during, and after anniversary week. then you will see the "real" numbers that matter most to D3.

but the will never reveal that info. cause that would reveal their secret agenda for "suppose to lose" is really "money grab celebration".
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    biryon wrote:
    I'm really worried about the force quit trick skewing the data. Ice mentioned that people were doing better than they expected, but it turns out many of them were using an exploit. Then the devs are going to say that people beat it so it must be tuned properly, when people are actually using workarounds because it's so awful.

If they don't have a way to stat those force quit they should rethink their data collecting tool.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    jffdougan wrote:

you should also ask for hard numbers on how many health packs and boost that were bought, the week before, during, and after anniversary week. then you will see the "real" numbers that matter most to D3.

but the will never reveal that info. cause that would reveal their secret agenda for "suppose to lose" is really "money grab celebration".

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."

I'm not drawing any conclusions about motives. I'm not asking for any information about motives. But, I would like to have the data to be able to draw my own conclusions about the success of the event.