I had a weird realisation today about PvP

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I was waiting for something today and a random thought popped into my head.

One of the worst feelings in the game is waking up/logging in to find that you've been bummed for hundreds of points because people have attacked you. I don't have a scary team so I get it a lot. It sucks. It's really, truly awful and ensures that shields are nigh on required.

But today when I logged in to find that that the MMR gods had lubed up and had their wicked, viscious way with me (to the tune of half my points total, I began to ease my way back up the rankings and thought 'I'm doing this to everyone else'. Like, literally everyone I'm using to get my ranking back up is going to get the 'You have been defeated by XXXXX -31 points' message.

Then I started feeling kinda bad. Then I got over it. Then I thought about it again and to my noble adversaries I want to offer my deepest apologies. It's strange how this has never occured to me before.

Now give me my Spiderman covers and I'll be on my way.

Comments

• Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Give me his purple

He doesn't want it
  • Have you been drinking? Doesn't matter, this should be stickied. Every time someone complains they don't like losing their points and everybody should have more points and get to keep their points because they worked for them, a wee php bot should ask them where they think those points came from and link to it.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It does get better, for example Evilsongoku is in my bracket, has been sitting at 611 points all day unshielded. Eventually you will be beefy and everyone will consider fighting someone else.

On the other hand, I have 827 points and am shielded happily because everyone and their pet monkey would beat on my like I stole something.
  • I retaliate until the opponent stops attacking me. Even if I'm taking net loss of -10 it's worth it to me if it will deter future attacks. I know there are certain people out there who do the same thing to me, and I make a point not to engage them in a tit for tat retatliation war.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Have you been drinking?

Hah no, it just never really occurred to me before, but I think I'm going to be a bit more zen about it in future. Yes it is annoying that success is so heavily tied to how often you show up for people or not but the only way I can win is by stealing points of other people. I too have been cursed in the bleary eyed morning when phones have been checked and I too have been responsible for a fist through an innocent computer monitor.

For a superhero game, it's quite violent to think that your path to success can only be paved with the corpses of your enemies.

Are...are we the baddies?
  • abuelo wrote:
    Veracity wrote:
    Have you been drinking?

Hah no, it just never really occurred to me before, but I think I'm going to be a bit more zen about it in future. Yes it is annoying that success is so heavily tied to how often you show up for people or not but the only way I can win is by stealing points of other people. I too have been cursed in the bleary eyed morning when phones have been checked and I too have been responsible for a fist through an innocent computer monitor.

For a superhero game, it's quite violent to think that your path to success can only be paved with the corpses of your enemies.

I like to think of myself as more of an antihero, or a vigilante-type.

But I dunno, the fact that I'm making people as mad as they're making me doesn't really make it seem any more "fair." I do think the points system needs some real work to make it less grindy but more rewarding.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you want carnage, play Marvel Heroes. Been having a blast with it, started with Storm and it is great feeling super powered in a game, you just walk around DESTROYING everything, bad guys die when they try to walk up to you, its pretty sick. Taking that extreme into account, I don't feel like what we do in MPQ is overly violent icon_razz.gif
  • abuelo wrote:
    I too have been cursed in the bleary eyed morning when phones have been checked and I too have been responsible for a fist through an innocent computer monitor.

Not at all. Half these heroes die and get better every few months, they don't mind.

Not that I haven't switched off disheartened once or twice, but I've always been pretty sanguine about losses and thought it odd that some seem to take being attacked so personally. That is the game, it's all there is to it. You're taking other people's rating because you want it, so you'd better expect the same. Not to say the system doesn't need plenty more work and Demiurge wouldn't do well to pay attention to how many apparently just ain't enjoying it, but I do think people who want a relatively non-competitive grind out of it are going to stay disappointed.

I have started skipping names I recognize from here unless I'm in a rush. Not 100% sure I think that's healthy, but it seems to be the done thing, so.
    Clint wrote:
    If you want carnage, play Marvel Heroes. Been having a blast with it, started with Storm and it is great feeling super powered in a game, you just walk around DESTROYING everything, bad guys die when they try to walk up to you, its pretty sick. Taking that extreme into account, I don't feel like what we do in MPQ is overly violent icon_razz.gif
    I have Storm in that, but I don't think I've ever so much as switched to her. Does she have one of those aura damage powers that makes destructible environment just blow up anywhere near her? Whoever came up with those is owed a substantial raise. Permanent RIF and SIF bonus this weekend, again; really must get on there and start catching up with the updates.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only loss that ever upsets me is the one before you were going to shield, or the one before you hit that progression reward tier.

Everything else is just the game.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I skip most the names I recognize from here but that's mainly because ALL YOUR TEAMS ARE TOO STRONG icon_eek.gif
  • Twysta wrote:
    I skip most the names I recognize from here but that's mainly because ALL YOUR TEAMS ARE TOO STRONG icon_eek.gif

Stumbled on Phantron a few days ago -- skipped mostly due to 5-anger Hulk on board.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Clint wrote:
    I have Storm in that, but I don't think I've ever so much as switched to her. Does she have one of those aura damage powers that makes destructible environment just blow up anywhere near her? Whoever came up with those is owed a substantial raise. Permanent RIF and SIF bonus this weekend, again; really must get on there and start catching up with the updates.

She's got one of those, and last time I played (a couple months ago, so it might've changed) she could use her floaty-lightning thing all day long with an Elektra medallion. So anything near you is getting blown up with her aura, and anything not near you is getting blown up by lightning. Pretty good way to go.

If they're running a bonus weekend I really should get back over to MH. Especially since MPQ is running the very opposite of a bonus weekend right now.
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Getting back on topic, here's how I think of it:
    You're dueling the Black Knight or something, and you have two options.
    You could both walk away unscathed, or you could both lose an arm to the other. What would you rather do?
    I know I'd certainly like to remain unscathed...