it must be depressing to work on this game

loroku
loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Every time they try to do something nice for us, we blast them.

Sometimes it's justified. (Like now.) Sometimes it's not. (Some of the balance changes.) But no matter what they do, we blast them. They can't seem to make us happy, other than DDQ and a few things here and there.

For what it's worth, I feel like we (players), as a group, tend to cry wolf too often. It makes it hard for the devs to know when it's a real issue (although constant complaints for multiple days must clue them in).

But either way, it has to be defeating to work on this game. Nearly all changes are universally panned, at least by some. And it's hard to say many or possibly even most of the complaints aren't justified - the game design is quite poor, and it really feels like the devs don't even play. But it has to be good enough that people keep playing - and keep paying. So they're obviously doing something right.

Maybe it's just the target demo - cranky comic book fans who play FtP games? icon_e_smile.gif In any case, as justified as our outrage at some of the terrible design choices may be, I still feel bad for these guys. It's got to be depressing to come to work and see a wall of hate pretty much every time you try something new.

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is every game. Gamers, or at least the vocal ones, are overwhelmingly entitled. Personally I think it'd be good for most of them to be forced to play some of the original NES games, where if you somehow managed to beat them even once you were a god among men.

But, yes, in this instance it is 100% justified.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think part of it is there is something vaguely predatory about how it all works. Everything is over priced to buy what you want outright, but there's gambling. You could get what you want, you could get squat.. It's sort of like going to Vegas. Gambling can be fun, but no one is cheering for the house to win.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since it's an F2P game and a lot of changes seem to be motivated by money (remember they have people who watch metrics, study patterns and whatnot) rather than gameplay/fun issues, it's normal people react negatively towards some changes because they are just terrible.

Their first goal is making money because the base game is free. Towards that end they've made a lot of decisions that are not popular (roster slots, limiting shielding, removing true healing, alliance slots used to cost a lot of HP etc etc). I don't think this forum is that negative, it's just they keep taking decisions which we mostly seem to disagree with.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    I'm a little bummed out playing it. Yesterday and this morning have been depressing to get one shot over and over again. Then having no health packs for PvP made me sadder.

Might be healthy to take a break until they make fun events.

I'm glad they are making new events, but I just want those to be exciting/rewarding.
  • sinnerjfl wrote:
    Since it's an F2P game and a lot of changes seem to be motivated by money (remember they have people who watch metrics, study patterns and whatnot) rather than gameplay/fun issues, it's normal people react negatively towards some changes because they are just terrible.

Their first goal is making money because the base game is free. Towards that end they've made a lot of decisions that are not popular (roster slots, limiting shielding, removing true healing, alliance slots used to cost a lot of HP etc etc). I don't think this forum is that negative, it's just they keep taking decisions which we mostly seem to disagree with.

I imagine the F2Pness of it leads to some of the extreme difficulty, too.

Like, with the DDQ node, I can imagine they have a goal along the lines of "We want 20% of the userbase to win this."

It's not even a "Give us money please" it is a "You can't progress too fast, keep playing the game to continue making the slow progress"

I mean Galactus isn't much of a money grab, compared to other stuff engraved into the game (buying covers. Roster slots. PVP as a whole) They already know most people won't buy healthpacks for about any reason.

They just have more of a reason to have people lose.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually I figured it out:

Complaining about the game is an important part of playing the game! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Three words.

Marvel Future Fight.

Entitlement? Nope. Just interested in playing a game that is actually enjoyable.

It's kind of funny belonging to a MFF alliance comprised almost entirely of former elite MPQ players.

Wanna know what we mostly discuss? How much money we're spending, how bizarrely generous the devs are coming from the "MPQ experience," how awesome the characters are, no slots, no health packs, the fact that we could not possibly use all the free energy we get from the devs, the free characters, the constant feeling of progression regardless of what you're actually doing in the game, the PvP, how losing in PvP still gives you things worth getting, the fixed point totals, the lack of scaling, functional MMR, infinite free PvP skips… oh, did I mention the "how much money we're spending" part?

Yeah, MPQ players are just "entitled whiners." Let's all keep telling ourselves that.

DBC