This too shall pass.

nwman
nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I've spent way too much money on this game for this to be what the player base is being told by all this silence.

Please address soon or I will 100% promise to not spend 1 cent on this again.

Also remember everyone on iOS to add your reviews. I'm sure android is similar. Let's give them the feedback they deserve for the silence treatment.

Edited title from will to shall. Thanks all.

Comments

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    i wonder how many newbies coming into this game will see this outage and either quit or if they spent real cash do massive chargebacks.
  • I've spent close to if not $1,000 on this game. That's a lot for a F2P 3 match mobile game, BUT I love a lot about this game and Marvel.

It's understandable that they don't want to give 4* out like candy because then we just may have a hundred more shots at legendary tokens meaning OML and SS would be more common to the players. However, one week a year to give great odds on 4* and heck legendaries for that matter would be such a boost for the player base that many would keep going and a few that maybe wouldn't put a dime in, would buy small packs of HP and ISO.

D3/Demiruge, I like the product and I don't mind being one of the whales in this game if that means making it enjoyable for everyone as a whole.

But 80+% of my token pulls have been two stars and like others have had issues with gameplay, this is not enjoyable for anyone.

All we need is a sorry it's messed up and that would be fine.

I'm in too deep to quit, but if this keeps up I'm done paying.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Kidney stones pass, too. Doesn't mean I want to participate in one.....
  • Can someone explain to me the "This too shall pass" meme here on this forum? I picked up it has something to do with True healing, and see it pop up everytime something bad happens in game.
  • Haetron wrote:
    Can someone explain to me the "This too shall pass" meme here on this forum? I picked up it has something to do with True healing, and see it pop up everytime something bad happens in game.

Idk if this is the reason, but this saying was said on some movie I watched a long time ago. Basically, nothing is going to be done and right now it's SNAFU and well that's how it is.

Server's Overloaded - Oh well, better to be overloaded than pay for extra server space.
    Galactus is too hard - Well, he's a tough character to beat
    Tokens suck badly- Duh, we're giving more away!
    No reds to hear from - Welp its the weekend silly!

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    Haetron wrote:
    Can someone explain to me the "This too shall pass" meme here on this forum? I picked up it has something to do with True healing, and see it pop up everytime something bad happens in game.

The specific details are a bit fuzzy since it's been awhile. Back after one of the nerfs, maybe 2* Thor and Wolverine, maybe a 3* there was consumer outrage. On a company blog, I believe the president of Demiurge (or someone in an official capacity) said "This too shall pass". It made it sound like the company didn't care about the consumer because the consumer would eventually move on and drop their outrage. The same blog also justified nerfs by saying since consumers didn't sell the the character back at the increased rate, they were fine.

It was a wholly dismissive blog post and may have been taken down. If you're really really interested, I'm sure there's a really old forum post with a link floating around.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Kidney stones pass, too. Doesn't mean I want to participate in one.....

come on you know they are fun. Had one past last year fun fun times
  • This game has had negative spin from the word go. Particularly about having to heal characters. Pay to continue to playing??? And of course about being P2W. Google the reviews from Sept/Oct 2013. They are all along the lines of "Great, BUUUUT..."

And yet, here we all are.

Funny, I tried to resuscitate an old thread on Touch Arcade a while back and was greeted with, "What?! You play that game?!"

And yet, here we are indeed… icon_lol.gif

DBC
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Haetron wrote:

This post from Mawtful should fill you in.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    emaker27 wrote:
    Haetron wrote:

The specific details are a bit fuzzy since it's been awhile. Back after one of the nerfs, maybe 2* Thor and Wolverine, maybe a 3* there was consumer outrage. On a company blog, I believe the president of Demiurge (or someone in an official capacity) said "This too shall pass". It made it sound like the company didn't care about the consumer because the consumer would eventually move on and drop their outrage. The same blog also justified nerfs by saying since consumers didn't sell the the character back at the increased rate, they were fine.

It was a wholly dismissive blog post and may have been taken down. If you're really really interested, I'm sure there's a really old forum post with a link floating around.

Here's the original post (thread), the blog link doesn't work anymore :
    Amanda1983 wrote:
    Originally linked in the Venture article series about MPQ, a new blog post went up yesterday @ http://almnop.tumblr.com
    It is a never-ending challenge to keep our live games balanced. In Marvel Puzzle Quest, there are no mechanisms to self-balance overpowered characters and so if a single character is overly powerful, our spenders will tend to gather around them. All players have access to these characters so it’s not unfair, but it results in gameplay that lacks variety, which is ultimately bad for everyone’s enjoyment and ultimately our long-term retention.

In free-to-play, the balancing of durable goods presents a particular challenge. Players may have spend real-world dollars to upgrade the character and those who haven’t may have invested many hours grinding away. We’ve been through a few of these re-balancing passes and have learned some valuable lessons:

- This too shall pass – While you need to expect and accept that there will be a backlash and the first couple of days will be painful, give it a few days before you judge the results. In the early days of MPQ, Ragnarok was massively overpowered and the day we changed it players were furious. A week later, it was no longer a topic of widespread conversation.

- Telegraph the change – As soon as you know a character is overpowered, make sure you let your players know that you know. Months ago, we published a list of the top-5 incorrectly balanced characters. A week ago, we published the specific changes that were coming to Spiderman. This week we expect to roll out the change

- Listen to Blizzard – “Make Everything Overpowered” is a design motto at Blizzard and we try to adhere to that here at Demiurge. At the end of the day, you need to think not just about the numbers but the emotional impact of a character. When you’re done, aim to have players think you didn’t go far enough!

- Give players an out – If players truly feel that your balance changes have made the durable no longer useful, then selling it for hard and soft currency should be a no-brainer. During the period after a balance change, we massively increase the sale price of characters.

When we made that sale-price change, there was only a small bump in the rate at which players sold those characters. Here’s a chart showing the number of people who sold those cards in the window surrounding the nerf:

(Chart didn't copy, click the link for it.)

We playtest the changes a ton and run them through some mathematical analysis that we’ve developed since launch. The end result is that if you’ve taken the time to max out your Spiderman ahead of your other rare cards, he’ll remain your best character.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    My favorite part of that blog wasn't

"This too shall pass", it was

"Listen to Blizzard – “Make Everything Overpowered”"

After which they promptly destroyed Thor/Xforce.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    "This too shall pass" basically means the developers or publishers can do whatever the hell they want to. Players don't like it and leave, that's fine as new players join and instead of things being changed it is always been that way. Players don't like change and stay that's fine too because with the newer players the user base grows. Eventually negative changes stopped being talked about so it means the already established player base have accepted these changes.

Is why you see a true healing, XForce/4* Thor thread pop up regulary.
  • Linkster79 wrote:
    "This too shall pass" basically means the developers or publishers can do whatever the hell they want to. Players don't like it and leave, that's fine as new players join and instead of things being changed it is always been that way. Players don't like change and stay that's fine too because with the newer players the user base grows. Eventually negative changes stopped being talked about so it means the already established player base have accepted these changes.

Is why you see a true healing, XForce/4* Thor thread pop up regulary.

This is kinda true sorta.

Like, Galactus has his issues, but he is acres less bullhonky then PVP is.

But PVP has also been in forever and people have adapted to it's own issues and moneygrabbing ways and other fustrating hopelessness in it and whatnot.

If Galactus was ran constantly throughout the entire year, in one year people who'd be left would be pretty used to it and have all sorts of strategies ready and consider it a critical part of the game or something.