Issues with the PVE

LegendReborn
LegendReborn Posts: 301
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
The design of the PVE is flawed. I’m not here to argue whether or not the PVE was play tested or whether or not nodes being locked out after a round is fair or if the nodes should be refreshed after a new Galactus round is unlocked. Instead, I'm here to talk about the design and concept of the PVE rather than how we are allowed to play it.

My main issue with the Galactus PVE is that the design is completely flat and uninspired. Conceptually, feeling overwhelmed by Galactus is fine. Galactus is a cosmic entity here to devour your entire planet and most of your heroes are city tier or planetary. It makes sense that we’re going against all odds.

However, there are much more interesting ways to convey that idea. Other ways you could go about it is having us face Galactus across different environments and scenarios. You could have a cityscape battle where we are trying to dish out as much damage as possible against a countdown because the city is being torn apart. You could have battles against Galactus heralds. You could have us attacking different parts of his power converter machinery in survival nodes.

These are only a few ideas off of the top of my head but all of them could easily be created to overwhelm the player without making the player feel like it’s a big waste of time.

On top of the lack of diversity and inspiration, it really stinks having only a single method of playing a PVE. Against Galactus the only strategy is to go rambo and hope it goes well. Any character that doesn’t help you kill something as fast as possible is instantly disqualified as a choice. Perhaps this is a byproduct of allowing winfinite to exist in the game but that’s also a design decision they have to own up to rather than skirt around with infuriating PVEs. Heck, they could just incapacitate prof x for the event if it means having a more interesting PVE. Regardless, it’s very clear that the Galactus PVE is a flat encounter rather than some grand dynamic PVE that encourages people to have fun with their roster.

Comments