Who Exactly Are Legendary Tokens For?

Gandalf333
Gandalf333 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I really do mean this honestly, as I don't get the design at all. I could maybe see the Deadpool Dailies being reserved for people who actually have their 4 stars a little further along (since they're suicide missions for people like me that have maybe 1 level in all the abilities of a 4 star, if that), but what is up with the PVE rewards? I now have finished in the top 200 for two, maybe three PVE events and not had enough to get a Legendary token.

How is this a transition token? I've been playing MPQ for over a year now, and I would guess you could get to the final reward with a PVE event by being in the top 300 or even higher (I was rarely that far down to even know). I was able to get my 3 stars along slowly even before the MPQ Daily, as I could generally get that reward, even if I didn't land a top 150 spot.

Frankly, this is getting me even more disgusted with the move to 5 stars (which I don't see as needed at all... we're just adding more tiers so that more characters aren't being used, which to me was the fun part of MPQ, getting to know and using a large variety of characters). But if we're going to do this move, why the insane difficulty for the Legendary tokens? To me they seem mostly only attainable to the people that were already the top tier... and the game already has plenty of rewards for them as it is.

Just really struggling to understand the design with this.

Comments

• theyre for you, because you need them. you have all the 3 stars

Now if you aren't going to complain about the anniversary come back next week
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    I was wondering the same thing and here is what I heard from the high end players: Most only have a couple of maxed 4*s. They are able to earn enough points for the legendary tokes and further expand their usable 4* roster.

The issue is that currently the 3* - 4* transition is lacking.

1* to 2* - heroic tokens
    2* to 3* - event rewards
    3* to 4* - ?? (Technically you could place 1st, but good luck beating the people ahead of you)
    4* to 5* - legendary tokens
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Gandalf333 wrote:
    I really do mean this honestly, as I don't get the design at all. I could maybe see the Deadpool Dailies being reserved for people who actually have their 4 stars a little further along (since they're suicide missions for people like me that have maybe 1 level in all the abilities of a 4 star, if that), but what is up with the PVE rewards? I now have finished in the top 200 for two, maybe three PVE events and not had enough to get a Legendary token.

How is this a transition token? I've been playing MPQ for over a year now, and I would guess you could get to the final reward with a PVE event by being in the top 300 or even higher (I was rarely that far down to even know). I was able to get my 3 stars along slowly even before the MPQ Daily, as I could generally get that reward, even if I didn't land a top 150 spot.

Frankly, this is getting me even more disgusted with the move to 5 stars (which I don't see as needed at all... we're just adding more tiers so that more characters aren't being used, which to me was the fun part of MPQ, getting to know and using a large variety of characters). But if we're going to do this move, why the insane difficulty for the Legendary tokens? To me they seem mostly only attainable to the people that were already the top tier... and the game already has plenty of rewards for them as it is.

Just really struggling to understand the design with this.

Hm. Need more info about your PVE scoring. How much of it do you play? Do you play at something "close" to the "optimal" PVE play style? Scoring high in PVE and getting the legendary token is generally more about how committed you are/how flexible your schedule is rather than how top tier your roster is.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    They are for players like me that pretty much have all the 3* covers they need and are just starting to get into 4 star.png territory.

I have been able to get 2-3 legendary tokens each week. Between those and hitting 1000 in most pvp events, my 4 star.png roster is finally starting to make some headway.
  • Gandalf333
    Gandalf333 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Hm. Need more info about your PVE scoring. How much of it do you play? Do you play at something "close" to the "optimal" PVE play style? Scoring high in PVE and getting the legendary token is generally more about how committed you are/how flexible your schedule is rather than how top tier your roster is.

Not sure what more you need after what I said in the OP. The Legendary token since its implementation has been far higher than past rewards were (by getting through all the rewards, that is). As I noted earlier, I always got through all the rewards before its implementation, and had plenty of Top 200 and Top 150 finishes, too (and again, if you were in that range before Legendaries, you blew past the last reward far before the PVE event was over). Now, I'm pretty much always short of getting it.

It looks to me like they keyed the Legendary Token reward to people that get in the Top 100, which is a baffling choice if we're in a transition phase--that's on par with the introduction of old 4 stars, where you needed at least a top 150 to get it (or was it top 100?). Again, that's not transition, that's more of the same.
    brisashi wrote:
    They are for players like me that pretty much have all the 3* covers they need and are just starting to get into 4 star.png territory.

I have been able to get 2-3 legendary tokens each week. Between those and hitting 1000 in most pvp events, my 4 star.png roster is finally starting to make some headway.

You're basically proving my point. Unless you have a solid 4 star roster (or even 1-3 that have about 3 levels on their abilities), it's going to be very hard to get the Deadpool daily. So that's not transitional. Transitional is how the rest of Deadpool Daily worked... even before I had solid 3 star characters, I had a chance at the 3 star featured character with my 2 star roster that was solid.

PVE, as noted above, is for people that are top finishers all the time and are probably already well into the transition. And if you think your PVP situation is normal for anything but top finishers... yeah. Take a look at rankings and points sometimes. I've had top 100 finishes in PVP where I had 600 or so. I've never made it close to 1000 points, and from when I've looked, people that were in that range were generally top 50, or better.

And just to clarify, this wouldn't be an issue for me if the developers weren't saying we were in a transitional phase and that the Legendary tokens are supposedly to help with that. If they were intended to be like the pre-Legendary Token approach to 4 star characters (really high tier rewards for PVE and PVP), fine. But supposedly that's not where we're at anymore. I'm confused by their approach, because as noted above, the Deadpool Daily makes sense for people that are in 1 star, 2 star, or even 3 star land. Your ISO rewards really adjust there to what you'd probably need to level your characters, and ability drops make sense to help you transition and move up. We're not getting that in the current setup for Legendary tokens.
  • They're for people transitioning from 4* rosters to 5* rosters.
  • im transitioning from 3 to 4 and ive openeded 7 legendaries since they released, which is what... 3 weeks ago? 4? if an extra 7 4* covers on top of the 1000s i pick up arent for me to build my 4* roster, i dont know what to tell the rest of you.
  • but yes, DDQ 4* is the drizzling kitty
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Gandalf333 wrote:
    It looks to me like they keyed the Legendary Token reward to people that get in the Top 100, which is a baffling choice if we're in a transition phase--that's on par with the introduction of old 4 stars, where you needed at least a top 150 to get it (or was it top 100?). Again, that's not transition, that's more of the same.

I agree, it does look like they gauged it for people finishing around the top 100-150 to get the legendary token. However, being into the 3-4* transition is NOT a requirement for finishing in the top 100-150 and getting the legendary token.

People with primarily 3* rosters (and maybe even 2* rosters?) can get the legendary token, so in theory you *should* be capable of getting the token. That's why I was asking what your PVE play style is. For example, how many clears of each sub do you do, do you do grinds at the end of the subs, do you have the usually have all/some/none of the required characters for the essential nodes, etc.
  • eShock
    eShock Posts: 42
    Gandalf333 wrote:
    cyineedsn wrote:

Not sure what more you need after what I said in the OP. The Legendary token since its implementation has been far higher than past rewards were (by getting through all the rewards, that is). As I noted earlier, I always got through all the rewards before its implementation, and had plenty of Top 200 and Top 150 finishes, too (and again, if you were in that range before Legendaries, you blew past the last reward far before the PVE event was over). Now, I'm pretty much always short of getting it.

brisashi wrote:

You're basically proving my point. Unless you have a solid 4 star roster (or even 1-3 that have about 3 levels on their abilities), it's going to be very hard to get the Deadpool daily. So that's not transitional. Transitional is how the rest of Deadpool Daily worked... even before I had solid 3 star characters, I had a chance at the 3 star featured character with my 2 star roster that was solid.

PVE, as noted above, is for people that are top finishers all the time and are probably already well into the transition. And if you think your PVP situation is normal for anything but top finishers... yeah. Take a look at rankings and points sometimes. I've had top 100 finishes in PVP where I had 600 or so. I've never made it close to 1000 points, and from when I've looked, people that were in that range were generally top 50, or better.

And just to clarify, this wouldn't be an issue for me if the developers weren't saying we were in a transitional phase and that the Legendary tokens are supposedly to help with that. If they were intended to be like the pre-Legendary Token approach to 4 star characters (really high tier rewards for PVE and PVP), fine. But supposedly that's not where we're at anymore. I'm confused by their approach, because as noted above, the Deadpool Daily makes sense for people that are in 1 star, 2 star, or even 3 star land. Your ISO rewards really adjust there to what you'd probably need to level your characters, and ability drops make sense to help you transition and move up. We're not getting that in the current setup for Legendary tokens.

There are multiple ways to get Legendary tokens, and yes the 4* DPD node is not for early 3*-4* transitioners.

I'll list them in the order of "easiness" (in my personal opinion).

PvE Top Progression
    The PvE Legendary tokens are the "easiest" to get. Theoretically even 2* rosters can get these. A general rule-of-thumb strategy to get to the top progression pts is:

In each sub-event do 3 loosely scheduled clears of the nodes when they're at full points (assuming you have all the essentials). If you're missing any essentials (e.g. the 4*) you'll have to do extra grinding at the end of the sub events. Note that the optimal pve schedule (way above Leg Token) is a full clear at 0 hrs, then again at 8ish hrs, again at 16ish hrs, and then a final grind of each node down to 1 pt in the last 2ish hours. Getting the Leg token can be done on a much looser schedule, e.g. a clear of all the nodes at 0 hrs, then again ~10 hrs, then again ~20 hrs. Some extra grinding at the end of each sub can help make up for a later join or any other hiccups (like missing some essential characters).

PvP 1k Progression (not technically a Legendary token, but serves same purpose for 3->4 transitioner)
    Getting the direct 4* cover from the PvP 1k progression is very doable with a strong 3* roster (iand 3hr shield (or a 3+8 shield hop if you want to maintain your score after you hit 1k), so can be done while still being HP positive. If you'd like more guidance on getting to 1k with a strong 3* roster there are a variety of forum posts to help you (e.g. Hayek's guide: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33283&p=421121). Also note that scoring near 1k in each PvP event for the season (and some shield simulator points) will get you to the PvP season progression Leg token.

4* Deadpool Daily node
    Getting the 4* DPD Leg token is NOT for an early 4* transitioner. Beating the lvl 270 opponent usually seems to require your 4* having at least 6-8 covers (and leveled appropriately), and even then you'll often need to try 5-10 times. Beating the node can be done with fewer covers, but it usually requires a specific cover layout (e.g. 4/0/0 or 3/1/0 with the focus being a strong dmg dealing skill) and a LOT of luck.

PvP 1.3k Progression
    Getting the 1.3k progression Leg token from PvP is tough and seems to require multiple shield hops (so a non-trivial HP expenditure) and some strong 4* characters helps (though I don't think it's necessary if you're willing to do enough shield hops). This is the "toughest" of the Legendary tokens to get (i.e. you need to be a dedicated PvP player familiar willing to spend HP and be familiar with advanced concepts like multiple shield hopping).