Blue is the Loneliest Color

As someone who is transitioning 3* to 4* (slowly, because I'm not a super grinding player and try to avoid spending actual $$) I have been noticing lately that even though I have a really solid 3* roster, many of them maxed- that blue tends to be an elusive color when building a great rainbow team of 3* characters- especially if you are looking for an attack. When you look at blue powers amongst 3* you get the following breakdown:

PASSIVE BLUE'S (aka making blue matches isn't really getting you any progress)

HOOD (Dorammu's Aid)
SCARLET WITCH (Arcane Incantation)

SORT OF PASSIVE BLUE'S (where you need to make matches but they don't build to firing)

SAM WILSON (red wing)
QUICKSILVER (Supersonic)
VISION (Density: Heavy)

AP BUILDING BLUE'S (save up but they just build AP, not attack)

DOCTOR DOOM (Technopathic Strike)
PSYLOCK (Bewilder)
MYSTIQUE (Infiltration)

STRIKE/ATTACK/DEFENSE CREATION BLUE'S:

SHE HULK (Settlement)
BLACK PANTHER (Defense Grid)
ROCKET & GROOT (I Got a Plan)
BEAST (Mutagenic Breakthrough)

STUNS:

DAREDEVIL (Billy Club)
STEVE ROGERS (Peacemaker)
SPIDER MAN (All Tied Up)

HEALS:

RAGNAROK (Lightning Rod)

ACTUAL ATTACKS:

DAKEN (Chemical Reaction)
IRON MAN (Ballistic Salvo)
DOC OCK (Manipulation)

In fact this list is almost of a who's who of 3* characters that are in desperate need of a buffs: Dock Ock, Spiderman, Iron Man, Ragnarok, Psylock are maybe the most buff-needed 3* characters in the game.

The only characters that would arguably crack anyone's top 15 3*'s in terms uf usefulness are Daken(rarely fire it because it kills strike tiles), Hood (passive so no need to make matches), Steve Rogers (prob best non-passive on the list), Black Panther (rarely useful), Grocket (good power but also somewhat risky since its a countdown tile), and maybe She-Hulk (highly situational).

And a lot of them are countdown tile related- which means half the time they won't even be made useful: Scarlet Witch, Grocket, Black Panther, Beast, Psylock, Vision all rely on countdown tiles, and most of them place it randomly which makes the odds even worse.

And most of all- all of the actual attacks suck. Daken's is arguably the best but it also wipes a bunch of strike tiles which isn't always ideal (in fact I rarely fire it when I use him)- and then you have 2 of the worst 3* characters in the game- Manipulation is useless unless you are fighting very specific enemies, and Ballistic Salvo is 20 AP plus it leaches other colors when you fire it- if you even get the chance- that maybe the most useless blue in the game even though its the biggest attack. I literally never use either of those characters unless they are required.

Luckily for me- my most covered 4* is Nick Fury who has arguably the best blue in the game. But I only use him situationally, not all the time.

So my plea is when we actually start getting new 3* characters again (is that gonna happen or is it only 4 and 5 from here on out?) please make some good characters with blue attacks!!!

Comments

• Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    sorry to hear you have
    THE BLUES

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAHHHHH!!!!
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    I think you're forgetting 3*Classic Magneto. His Blue Magnetic Projectiles is a great damage dealer (and potential board shaker). When boosted he one shots characters. I agree we need more blue nukes but C.Mags regularly get used in my rainbow teams for his great red and blue (they're both relative cheap too.)
  • Totally forgot about classic Mags. Yah that one is maybe the most useful blue attack. I need to sue him more I always forget about him.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can make the same argument about Yellow. Not all colors are meant for straight up attacks.. I consider Blue more of a support color than Green or Red.

I think of MPQ as Magic the Gathering, and I know the devs use MtG as an inspiration for the game.
  • W4LAndre
    W4LAndre Posts: 73 Match Maker
    ddvrom wrote:
    Totally forgot about classic Mags. Yah that one is maybe the most useful blue attack. I need to sue him more I always forget about him.

Such a litigious society we have nowadays. icon_lol.gif
  • W4L Andre wrote:
    ddvrom wrote:
    Totally forgot about classic Mags. Yah that one is maybe the most useful blue attack. I need to sue him more I always forget about him.

I see what you did there........and I approve icon_razz.gif
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    W4L Andre wrote:
    ddvrom wrote:

We threatened to sue D3 after his nerf, but since that got us nowhere, we shifted our focus to Magneto for letting himself be influenced.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    W4L Andre wrote:
    ddvrom wrote:

Who will we choose to represent us, though- Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg, and Holloway? Nelson and Murdoch, Avocados at Law?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've had the same issue - nearly all my "go-to" teams lack an active blue ability. The one I end up using most often is probably Black Panther's, which is "ehhhh" on a really good day.
  • ddvrom wrote:
    As someone who is transitioning 3* to 4* (slowly, because I'm not a super grinding player and try to avoid spending actual $$) I have been noticing lately that even though I have a really solid 3* roster, many of them maxed- that blue tends to be an elusive color when building a great rainbow team of 3* characters- especially if you are looking for an attack.
    Who cares? Rainbow teams are stupid. If you waste time collecting AP in all 6 colors you have already lost.
  • You can make the same argument about Yellow. Not all colors are meant for straight up attacks.. I consider Blue more of a support color than Green or Red.

I think of MPQ as Magic the Gathering, and I know the devs use MtG as an inspiration for the game.

Yellow though has some great attacks:
    Luke Cage, Hood, Thor, Mohawk (not that I use her a lot)

And the other strike/AP build/etc ones seem more useful to me as well- Black Panther's Battleplan is maybe one of the best strike tile generator's of any 3*, Cyclops' red AP builder is useful for a lot of teams and especially for himself benefiting both of his nukes, KK is one of the best non-true healing in the game (second maybe only to a fully covered patch- also yellow)

Of al the colors- I can think of a few really great useful powers that they feed- but blue always seems like I'm reaching for someone to fill the slot and compromising in some way. They rarely offer much to the equation. I'm never actively seeking it in match-3's, just trying to make it useful when I don't have another choice.

Also LOL at my litigious typo icon_e_smile.gif
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Who cares? Rainbow teams are stupid. If you waste time collecting AP in all 6 colors you have already lost.
    Yes and no. It's also a waste to match a certain colour only to keep your enemy from gaining it when you cannot use it. You also lose match damage if it's not an active colour.

Having a rainbow team ensures no matches go to waste.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    rainbow for the sake of rainbow is inferior to synergy. what you want is rainbow with synergy between the abilities. fist/cage/cmags for example - lots of strong damage with 2 abilities that can cause cascades. or a rainbow pair with hood (i.e. thor/doom or gsbw/panther) can be effective.

to me best offensive blues are 1) cmags, 2) fury, 3) 2storm (you completely missed her - her blue is better than many 3* abilities), and 4) daken. best support blues are obw and mbw. best 'other' is grocket's blue - dang strong.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like to have an active on every color because cascades happen. I won't rush the less important colors in my team, but in a longer battle or after a big cascade they'll still be usable.
  • TxMoose
    agreed - witch/daken/blade are nails most of the time, but a red/yellow/TU board can screw you for a while.
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    Call me crazy, but I like Beast's blue. It only costs 6 AP and with 5 covers, the CD is only 1 turn. Sure, the friendly tiles you get are random (compared to Rocket & Groot's I Got A Plan at 11 AP and guarantees strike tiles), but the low cost makes him a pretty good teammate for Kamala.
  • mjh wrote:
    Yes and no. It's also a waste to match a certain colour only to keep your enemy from gaining it when you cannot use it. You also lose match damage if it's not an active colour.

Having a rainbow team ensures no matches go to waste.
    When no matches go to waste, all matches go to waste.

IMO you should have active abilities in no more than 4 colors. If you have passives or weaker abilities in the other 2 colors to fill out a rainbow team, great. But if you are making that a requirement for putting a team together you are likely sacrificing speed/efficiency in your team comps.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    to me best offensive blues are 1) cmags, 2) fury, 3) 2storm (you completely missed her - her blue is better than many 3* abilities), and 4) daken. best support blues are obw and mbw. best 'other' is grocket's blue - dang strong.
    to be fair, he was only talking about 3* blue powers. hence why he didn't consider fury/2storm
  • TxMoose
    doh - skimming over things as fast as possible to get the gist sometimes isn't be best course of action lol. like ares green and yellow, storm blue could be a 3* ability, but point taken.