Are 5*s working as intended for PVP/PVE?

mindsuckr
mindsuckr Posts: 154
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
This is just a simple question. Are 5 star characters working as intended for people with lower level rosters when they roster them? People are seeing their PVE nodes get harder (you can possibly debate/deny this) and their PVP become drastically harder from match making (this is fact). The Line Q&A chat said that simply adding a 5 star wouldn't change things.
Scoregasms - Hmm, will rostering a 5* actually mess up scaling for those folks that keep an intentionally low roster level?
Scoregasms - Like the 94-100 max roster peeps I see a lot?
IceIX - Nope.

This is not a post looking for solutions, work arounds, or other things. Just a simple "5s are working as we always intended for lower rosters, adapt or sell" or "We didn't intend for 5s to have the impact that they are, and we are working on possible solutions".

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ice did say that it wouldn't mess them up as long as they didn't use him in PvE. Don't know if that's been true or not.

It's definitely messed people up in PvP even if they haven't used him at all there.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    You likely will never see this question answered, the devs have been deliberately evasive on the subject of scaling
  • generalTsobot
    generalTsobot Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Anecdotally speaking, my PVE nodes have gotten harder after recruiting Surfer and I'm in the exact situation that Scoregasms described.

What Ice replied with seems to be at odd with what customer services describes:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33297#p419518

The key part is here:
    "When entering a PvE event or sub-event for the first time, the game will review your current Roster (including buffs/restrictions), and the difficulty of each mission will be based on the strength of your top three characters."

Unless you already have maxed level 270 4*s at the top of your roster (or you have buffed characters above 255), SS will undoubtedly raise the average level of your top three characters, and thus raise your starting node levels.

Edit: I missed the point of your baseline question. Only a dev can answer if it's working as intended, but I think we can say that it's working as customer service describes after the 5*'s were already out in the wild.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    anecdotal single point, so not much data, but I had not yet entered iso brotherhood when I rostered both ss and oml yesterday, and before I leveled hb from 168 to 200. I entered last night and sub 1 essentials looked very similar to before (120s-140). I did not play through a clear - just was playing around a little. just entered today's sub and again, essentials don't look much different. top 3 on roster before were 168/166/166 and are now 255/255/200. we'll see how it goes moving forward. if I accidentally play through a clear, i'll report on the level of the harder nodes in the sub. those nodes 7, 8, and 9 used to start in the 160-190 range.

I will say the thing I noticed most today in pvp was a drastic change in opposing TU that they're given. they used to get random, nebulus 3* abilities and they are now all 4* abilities so far. hb red, thing, jean - although they are still undercovered so they don't kill you, they just look scary.
  • Incoming thread merge/lock in 3..2..1..
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Sometimes I get the impression that even they don't know how their own game works. And that's probably why they have some of the worst dev/user relationships I've ever seen.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cayasha wrote:
    Incoming thread merge/lock in 3..2..1..

You are correct, please use the current conversation which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33297 to continue this discussion.
This discussion has been closed.