Who is the better 5*?

I'm obssessed with having a hierachy for this game. clearly, 5* are miles above 4's and below but where do they rank against each other?

Silver Surfer VS. Old Man Logan.
token_legendary.png VS. token_legendary.png

In my opinion, SS is slow and his greatest strength was match damage, un-stunable, and high health. If OML has two of these 3 qualities, and great powers, is he the clear winner?

Thoughts peeps??

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Surfer wins in this battle. He's a self-healing tank that can do a lot of damage (with multiple covers that is).

OML can tank/regen a bit, but he loses that. Also, his big sell is that he has 6 powers. However... The description does not seem to specify whether or not you can actively choose when to go into "kill the marvel universe" mode. Only that it triggers after 12 yellow have been collected by the team. If it just happens, I consider this a negative.

Can anyone confirm?

But straight out of the box? I think it's definitely Surfer. Any one Surfer ability is better than any one OML ability.

Cover maxed... Surfer may still have the edge because he can continue to heal whereas OML cannot once he rage-shifts.
  • "Dev note: Once the character goes into their alt abilities, they can't return to the original set for the rest of that battle. So make sure you've got in all the healing you want to pack in before you fire off that Black ability."

That was the Dev note that gave me the impression that when you fire off the black ability once you have the required yellow AP, then he shfits. So it is player choice.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess that strengthens my original out of the box comment. If OML requires black in order to shift, then you need at least that color to get maximal usage. Surfer seems to be able to stand on his own no matter what the original cover obtained.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Until you start seeing either of them with a lot of covers it is too tough to tell, as far as one cover characters it seems tough to bet against SS with a blue since it gives you a stun immunity and healing to go with high match damage.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Without healing and stun immunity, Surfer is a beefier Devil Dinosaur. So I'd say he and Logan both have the weakness of needing at least one of a particular cover to be really good.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Surfer is a pain in the butt because you can't stun, but damage wise he's mostly a match damage killer. It's not a swift death unless you can flood the board with blue. (Hi Iceman!)

Logan is 9B-12Y and everything dies shortly after, dealing 8k damage (assuming you immediately spend the yellow saved) w/ 3k of strike tiles out on top of it. Generating black isn't really an issue (Hi Fist!), so even if you don't have yellow to convert over, he'll be putting out 3k in strike tiles in rapid fashion, which will kill most non-surfer things extremely quick. You also have Fist's attack tile tacking on damage as well.

So for PvP speed, Logan is likely going to be dominant compared to Surfer. For PvE, it's probably pick your poison, both self-heal so sustainability is there, which is generally the biggest advantage.

So I say edge: Logan.
  • As soon as you get black and yellow to swap you can deal 12k AoE with yellow + strikes, and the strikes stay there.

The means about 7 matches minimum, so another 10.5k damage you can split between the targets. That's a clean shot to most teams.

Before I was thinking of a 355 build for the passives, now that we can kiss red goodbye I think 553 is the way to go, and it punches hard.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you get to bring other characters along old man Logan can also throw out some big strike tiles with his passive. He will regain that health in 2 turns. One on one SS can hold his own especially if you can win the red black battle. Overall Logan feels more dangerous and can hurt you more ways than SS. SS only has one damage ability while Logan can use multiple AP
  • Hayek
    Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    In my opinion logan wins because he is much faster on offense in PvP. Both of them are true healers, so even if you are somehow not coming out of your PvE matches at full health, you can just prologue heal him very fast. I think the only department in which Logan loses to surfer is that his damage is reliant on strike.png , and those can off course, be turned against you (hello icon_elektra.png ).
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    WHO CARES!!!!!

Seriously unless they do something about their match damage and health or bring 4* and 3* up to snuff, they are both godly without any skills, SS wins just because he has more hit points. I've put my faith in D3 and been rewarded so I"m sure something is going to be done to either nerf 5*'s, but more than likely we are going to see a dramatic shift like the big health rebalance when X-Force got handed his sac. If 4*'s likely get a buff now that the move to 4* has occured, and keeping them on par with 3*'s in match dmg and skill dmg just so you can have combos doesn't make sense any more. Becuse with 624, 554, and 485 in tile strenght compared to 82, 73, 64 there are some issues.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Silver Surfer is simpler and more straightforward. Old Man Logan is more of a high risk/high reward character, with more complex decisions to make and a reliance on nobody else in the team preventing him from going into beast mode.
  • How will the Ai play them though?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    Old Man Logan is more of a high risk/high reward character, with more complex decisions to make
    I pretty much see the exact opposite. What's the risk? Unless somehow you're firing an ability every turn, he's healing more than he's losing. And there's really no complex decision to make. You want to get him into his alt skills ASAP and start dealing crazy damage. The downside is that the AI will play him correctly strictly by accident.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Odd question, What can OML send as a team up?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    I can't send black
  • TxMoose wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    I can't send black
    Funny because you can send SG yellow and there was old IW green also ending the turn.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I gotta say, getting very lucky with the 5*s yesterday and ending up with -/2/2 ss and 1/-/- OML...playing them with my doom (fully covered, boosted to 210) and taking on a 200ish doom/166witch/166gsbw in an LR, I made it by a thread. didn't boost - was an LR and I was using 5*s. match took forever long - only 5* ability I used was ss red and it only hit for <1500. if they wanted them to be 'usable' out of the gate, they kind of fall short. match damage can only take you so far in this game - unless you pour tons of iso to level them up, which isn't happening for a long while. I think ss would be better once I get a blue, but as-is, their abilities are no better than low-tier 3* level. high match damage and lots of health - meh.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ending the turn isn't a disqualifier. I'm sure it's the fact that the abilities can change. I think Ant Man's blue and purple can't be sent because of this.
  • Dayv
    Ending the turn isn't a disqualifier. I'm sure it's the fact that the abilities can change. I think Ant Man's blue and purple can't be sent because of this.
    And his yellow can't be sent because it has a (PASSIVE) component.
  • Dayv
    simonsez wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    Old Man Logan is more of a high risk/high reward character, with more complex decisions to make
    I pretty much see the exact opposite. What's the risk? Unless somehow you're firing an ability every turn, he's healing more than he's losing. And there's really no complex decision to make. You want to get him into his alt skills ASAP and start dealing crazy damage. The downside is that the AI will play him correctly strictly by accident.
    I may be biased due to my pathological aversion to self-damaging characters.

OML with little to no yellow and an otherwise high level may have some trouble but that's an unfortunate edge build. The yellow is better than I was giving it credit for: I was running the numbers as if it was heal X per Ally, not heal X per team member (which includes OML).