Recruiting Silver Surfer has killed me

I registered specifically to rage about this. Before recruiting SS, I was able fairly consistently to beat each node once every 8 hours and grind at the end. I could usually get into the top 100, even on 4* release events. Since Legendary Tokens were added, PVE has been more competetive since people who had not been playing PVE before had started again to get the shiny tokens. I was still usually able to top 150, though and got several Legendary tokens. Then I recruited the Stupid Surfer. I had been assured that either he wouldn't affect my scaling at all, or that he would only affect it if I used him in PVE, so I didn't. I didn't notice anything at first, but after an event passed by suddenly everything after the first three nodes in a sub was an absolute nightmare. Trivials aren't too bad, but "Easy" nodes are now pretty hard and "Normal" nodes are impossible. There have been a couple subs where I could only beat the first three nodes. Obviously, as a result I can't place at all. How the hell is a bunch of lvl 94's supposed to take down a team with level 180 Ares and 180 Juggernaut? Either one of those guys has more HP than my entire team put together. To make matters worse, now I'm not as able to contribute to my alliance as I used to. I wouldn't really be surprised if I get kicked, and I wouldn't really blame them. And it doesn't seem to just be a PVE thing, either. Since adding SS, I've also noticed that in PVP it goes directly from seed teams (ie level 8, 15 etc) to maxed out 3* teams. I can't compete with that; I'm in my 2*->3* transition (which I've been stuck in forever thanks to consistently bad token pulls, but that's a complaint for a different thread) Other than the Silver Jerk, my highest leveled character is 94. I'm so frustrated that I'm on the verge of quitting. I had been really looking forward to the anniversary event because I was gonna buy a ton of Hero Points on sale, but now I'm not going to because why would I spend money on a game that I'm no longer sure that I'll still be playing in a weeks time? Silver Surfer has turned what was a fun but mildly frustrating game into an absolute ragefest of failure and sadness. I've seriously considered selling him, but some of my alliance mates said that they weren't sure if that would actually fix my scaling or not. That would really, REALLY piss me off to sell the 5* and not get my scaling back to normal. \rant

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text. I'm just unbelievably frustrated. I've played this game for ~150 days and spent ~$50 plus a bunch of Google Play rewards credits on hero tokens and considered it a good investment because I was having a lot of fun. But now, I can't have fun anymore because I just. Can't. Win. Anything. Getting Silver Surfer was supposed to be exciting, but instead it was the single worst mistake I've ever made in any game ever.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    teaNerd87 wrote:
    I was still usually able to top 150, though and got several Legendary tokens..... Trivials aren't too bad, but "Easy" nodes are now pretty hard and "Normal" nodes are impossible.

Jury is still out on surfer , as far as rostering him, but not using him for Story events.. I don't have one, but i will say this.

I started going all out to get legendary tokens in Story Events.. after a couple accidental T10 finishes.. my "easy" are now 190+.. i have no char above 166, and no SS.

I think this may just be personal scaling because we go so hard and all in to get the token.

I also may be completely wrong, and SS is causing it for you. Just letting you know how things are working for me, similar to you, without having an SS.
  • If that's the case, then they need to lighten up on the personal scaling. The thing that makes me doubt that, though, is before the legendary tokens, I had hit 2-3x max progression a few times and never took a hit like this before. As always, I could be wrong, but it seems like this is awfully brutal for personal scaling. I wish they'd be more transparent about how scaling works. I'd like to be able to complain about the right thing lol.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    I started going all out to get legendary tokens in Story Events.. after a couple accidental T10 finishes.. my "easy" are now 190+.. i have no char above 166, and no SS.

I think this may just be personal scaling because we go so hard and all in to get the token.
    I think this is a really good thing to keep in mind. PVE scaling and MMR are both complex systems that players can't see into. A new Silver Surfer is by no means the only change players are making to their side of the system.

Still, I think it would be good for the developers to address this. I wonder if they're doing another community video any time soon...
  • Malcrof wrote:
    teaNerd87 wrote:
    I was still usually able to top 150, though and got several Legendary tokens..... Trivials aren't too bad, but "Easy" nodes are now pretty hard and "Normal" nodes are impossible.

Jury is still out on surfer , as far as rostering him, but not using him for Story events.. I don't have one, but i will say this.

I also may be completely wrong, and SS is causing it for you. Just letting you know how things are working for me, similar to you, without having an SS.
    It's too much of a stretch to think that his scaling catching up so nastily and getting SS are 2 independent events that just coincided at the same time. Nodes are labeled 'Normal' when their levels are in the neighborhood of the average of your three strongest chars. So (255 + 150*2)/3 (SS + 2 boosted to 150) = 185. So that's his new Normal now up from 150 he'd have before.
  • Ding
    Ding Posts: 179
    Sell him. As you said, it might fix your scaling. If not, well, at least you enjoyed the game for awhile.

Reasons to sell: possibly fix your scaling, free up roster spot.

Reasons to keep: you think that by winning a surfer from PvE tokens you'll be able to cover him anytime soon (extremely unlikely, better off playibg lottery)