Node clearing advice

Wooodd
Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Ive been doing 3 clears with a grind at the end, but my grind isnt all the way to 1 point on the harder nodes (around 200 pts left on them). This is because of a lack of strong characters and needing to heal too often.

My question is this, given my situation is it more point effective to do a second clear on the harder nodes during my second clear while I have a surplus of health packs?

It will mean that the final clear / grind wont be worth as many points, but overall would I net more points? Any input would be appreciated.

Sorry if the questions already been asked, did a search but drew a bag-man.

Comments

• Is your goal progression or placement?

Generally, for progression, three full point clears will get you to the end of the line.

For placement, three clears on exactly 8 hours and clearing out max points at the end is mandatory. If you don't have the roster capacity to accomplish this without burning up all your health packs, you are not in a position where you are really ready to complete for top end placement.

But a t100 finish should be feasible even with the basic clearing methods. Depends on the slice you are in and what the prizes are, of course. 4* PVE's are murderous, bloody grind fests.

That's my experience anyway.
  • Wooodd
    The thing is, I'm hitting around 15-30 in placements when I have all 3 essentials already and I'm trying to get that extra little nudge to T10.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Assuming you do 1st clear at 0:00, your second clear at 8:00, third clear at 16:00, and grind at 22:00, there's really a negligible difference whether you get that extra hit in on the 2nd clear. You might even be leaving points on the table.

If you have the resources, I would suggest you buy some extra roster slots to dupe some of the stronger 2*'s heroes (OBW, Thor, CStorm, etc). At your point in the game, they will often be buffed to the point where they're your strongest characters, and will absolutely help you get another couple of rounds in.

Then, once you move firmly into 3* land, you can either sell them off, or replace them with dupes of the better 3* characters.

Another thing that might help you get a few extra battles in is to make sure to use the weakest characters you think you can win with on your early clears. This will take longer, but might help mitigate some of your personal scaling, which in turn will make a difference when you reach grind time.
  • Wooodd
    Sorry, when I said out of health packs I should have been clearer. I count 4 packs as zero so that I have enough to start the next sub.

I play in the third bracket, working full time and having a fam means that finishing at 10pm (GMT) is the only option for me or I miss the grind. Did think about joining the bracket 6-8 hours late, my logic being that all the real players wil have already begun and I'd be left to clean up with the scubs. Haven't tried yet though as I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Through the week I have to leave around 10-12 hours between my second and third clear. This doesn't help. Damn boss doesn't realise the importance of earning 100HP instead of 50HP.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, it's better to clear them early than not complete it all.
  • Wooodd
    Thanks all for the advice.

I've done a second clear with the second 8hr wave so ill see what that brings tonight.

I fully intend on hitting the end of the event as normal with at least three clears so should be an improvement.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fixing some math... Simplifying 1 clear drops by 16% and therefore returns 2% per hour (as aesthetocyst did)
    Wooodd wrote:
    Thanks all for the advice.

I've done a second clear with the second 8hr wave so ill see what that brings tonight.

I fully intend on hitting the end of the event as normal with at least three clears so should be an improvement.

Good for you! You would, of course, do better by grinding the nodes to 1 at the end, but you do have to find a balance. That full grind can be a killer.

If you're curious about the math, it looks like this. First %age column is your original approach, the second is with your additional clear. This allows a generous 1hr to complete a clear.

24hrs ... 100% ... 100% of initial node values collected
    16hrs ... 100% ... 100%
    _8hrs ... 100% ... 100%
    _7hrs ... ——— ... _86%
    _2hrs ... _96% ... _80%
    _1hr_ ... _82% ... _64%
    _0hr_ ... _68% ... _50%

Total_ ... 546% ... 580%

Stick to the plan and you'll do well!
    I think as long as your final grind isn't 5 or 6 clears you're always better off doing an extra clear earlier rather than missing that clear altogether. edit: It does depend when that extra clear is happening. If you're doing it much earlier you might be losing out on points since those 100s drop by 16%, but if you can hold off as late as possible you'll be in good shape.
  • Wooodd
    Thanks for the maths, bothof you, really useful to see it laid out. I knew I would benefit, but didnt realise it would be as much as this. Only thought it would be a few points.

I would try to grind to 1 but I just dont have the manpower yet. Only got 2 useful ***'s so far so its a struggle.
  • Wooodd
    Just an update.

Finished this sub in iso8 bros with the extra clear mid way through and finished 9th .

In comparison my placent in the second sub was 18th so it really did the trick.

So I'm chuffed, just need to figure what to do with my 22nd star.pngstar.pngicon_magneto.pngblueflag.png now icon_rolleyes.gif