Are the tile drops TRULY random?

2»

Comments

• Eddiemon wrote:
    It's frustrating and annoying and I accuse my tablet of cheating.

My iPad would never cheat me. I am SURE it is the game code!

And, yes, I swear at it when it does. icon_e_wink.gif
  • This reminds me of like, hen iTunes first came out and added a "Shuffle" feature, people complaigned that it's randomness was busted, and it played too many tracks from the same album in a row which could NOT be random (It was).

So Apple had to update it to make it LOOK more random, despite actually being less random.

This does make me wonder about like, other Match 3 games I play that have much fewer "Drops 3 Reds in a row" drops.

Like, playing Pokemon Shuffle, use a special move that clears out a 5x6 block of the screen, and you can guarantee you won't get a single random match out of it (without hitting the one untouched column), even if there's only 3 unique pieces!

Sure, it's less chaotic. But I like MPQ's chaos in comparison, then.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    MPQ has to have something like that built in for when the board is out of moves. The resulting shuffle never gives away a match (as it shouldn't).
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    colwag wrote:
    This reminds me of like, hen iTunes first came out and added a "Shuffle" feature, people complaigned that it's randomness was busted, and it played too many tracks from the same album in a row which could NOT be random (It was).[/spoiler][/spoiler]

So Apple had to update it to make it LOOK more random, despite actually being less random.

This does make me wonder about like, other Match 3 games I play that have much fewer "Drops 3 Reds in a row" drops.

Like, playing Pokemon Shuffle, use a special move that clears out a 5x6 block of the screen, and you can guarantee you won't get a single random match out of it (without hitting the one untouched column), even if there's only 3 unique pieces!

Sure, it's less chaotic. But I like MPQ's chaos in comparison, then.

This is exactly what I was referring to, because people couldn't comprehend that in a random environment the chances of the same song being played x times in a row are the same as the chance of it never being played apple had to make the supposed random shuffle function actually have a pattern, therefore making it ordered and not random.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    If you think the game cheats, why are you still playing it? Why would anyone continue to play a game that they know is rigged? If you truly believe the game cheats, you should delete it from your phone/Steam and go be happier with you life.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    Can we make this topic a banable offence? I thought we'd moved past the point where this was an issue.

It will never be a non-issue. People will constantly need to be reminded that it's all in their heads, and new players will bring the issue up as soon as they see a problem. We will calmly explain that it's all been looked into, and the cycle will continue.
    Wait, so I've been around for 620 days or so and I still don't get it.

You're telling me that when I'm playing against Cyclops and he match-4s a column of black, and then the ENTIRE column that drops is black, and that ends up match-5ing the topmost row of black (odds of a column of a solid color dropping randomly is already quite unlikely) and it happens "quite" often that it's all in my head?

No trolling. I've spent enough time and money and I love this game. I guess I don't understand why there's such a strong sentiment against thinking that it IS rigged.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    Can we make this topic a banable offence? I thought we'd moved past the point where this was an issue.

It will never be a non-issue. People will constantly need to be reminded that it's all in their heads, and new players will bring the issue up as soon as they see a problem. We will calmly explain that it's all been looked into, and the cycle will continue.
    Wait, so I've been around for 620 days or so and I still don't get it.

You're telling me that when I'm playing against Cyclops and he match-4s a column of black, and then the ENTIRE column that drops is black, and that ends up match-5ing the topmost row of black (odds of a column of a solid color dropping randomly is already quite unlikely) and it happens "quite" often that it's all in my head?

No trolling. I've spent enough time and money and I love this game. I guess I don't understand why there's such a strong sentiment against thinking that it IS rigged.

You're misunderstanding random chance - ^^^this is just as likely to happen as any other scenario in a system of random chance, so no the game is not rigged. Human brains just really struggle with the concept of random chance because our brains are hardwired to always look for patterns.

And if you are thinking that the above scenario happens too often to be random then consider two things:-
    1. Does it really NEVER happen in your favour or do you only pay attention when it's against you?
    2. True random chance is on an infinite time scale so while what may seem like a patterned sequence at the moment would be proven random over time.

I know you may not like this and will seem like a cop out but it is just basic maths really. If you don't think this to be accurate then record every time this happens to you and for you and see how they tally up after a months play and I'm pretty sure there will be very little disparity between the two
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Point that people tend to miss in this discussion: while the tile drops are random, the board they drop into is very much not. It's been played on, i.e. tiles have been selectively and non-randomly removed. So you're inserting a random tile or tiles into a board that has a non-random distribution of tiles.

If I have a sack of 64 M&Ms of randomly distributed among colors, there's a certain statistical chance that I'd pull 6 brown M&Ms out in a row. If, however, I've been eating 3 red M&Ms or 3 green M&Ms for multiple iterations, my chances of pulling 6 browns out are significantly greater, EVEN if I'm putting 3 completely random M&Ms into the bag to replace the ones I've eaten.

That doesn't come into play when, say, the AI matches 4 in a column, and has the column refilled with 5 blacks, which is followed by 5 blues...and guess what colors the AI needs? The rest of the board has no bearing on that situation.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    if we play this game enough, and many of us are playing a...lot..., you are bound to get these breaks both for you and against you. the thing is, most of the game is relatively mundane and low-risk for us - ddq for 3*s is breeze, most of pvp up until you start hopping is whatever, pve until you hit the really hard nodes is trivial and easy. so, in the bulk of the matches we play, cascades that benefit us don't really stand out in our heads as changing the inevitable outcome anyway. during that part of the game, if a cascade is enough to sway a match the other way, it stands out in our heads as a complete outlier and something that should never happen. I think the 4* ddq node will serve as an example as cascades helping us players, because that is our only shot sometimes with a undercovered/underleveled character going up against a 270 mags or Cyclops. we just have to throw enough chances at it and play smart to allow luck to be on our side. not sure I agree with the design setup, but that doesn't matter. it will automatically give us the feeling sometimes that we get lucky because we'll get a premium reward directly because of the luck.
  • Wait, so I've been around for 620 days or so and I still don't get it.

1, yeah, you're just as likely to get blacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.pngblacktile.png in a row as you are to get bluetile.pngtutile.pngpurpletile.pngyellowtile.pngtutile.pngblacktile.png (Ignoring team up tiles having a lower drop rate), but the first one stands out way more.

2. I'm reminded of when Jean Grey first came out, with her anti-Enemy Match5 ability, and seeing somebody in the thread go "Wait no this is freaking great the AI lucks into match 5s constantly like multiple times a match."

Well. Bring her in and you'll prooooobably see just how often the AI gets a random junk Match 5. icon_razz.gif