What happened to roster diversity?

Raffoon
Raffoon Posts: 884
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I think the devs might have really screwed the pooch on this 5* implementation. Including more 4* is great, but now that more people are finally going to be able to use a variety of 4*s we're already seeing a point where they're about to become irrelevant.

Best case scenario: most people end up with usable 5*s before too long, but they have to fight and use the same 2-3 characters with no choice because they're without question the best. A somewhat fair, but terribly boring scenario.

Worst case scenario: Only a few people end up with usable 5*s and they run around destroying everyone else, with no chance of competition. An elitist, somewhat pay to win system with no hope of fair competition.

I mean, the prospect of drawing a Silver Surfer is exciting. The prospect of invalidating all the 4*s that have been earned and everyone being forced to use the same 2-3 characters over and over sure isn't exciting, though. Even less exciting is the prospect that you could open 100 legendaries and never draw a surfer, while the person next to you draws 13 covers.

Comments

• Unless I'm mistaken, Devs have said weekly boosts on 4*s will gradually increase as 5*s become more common to allow 4*s to fight 5*s on a good day.

Hope that eases your mind a little.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    It has changed the game for sure, now how excited should we get for the next few 4* releases?

How hard should we grind for characters that are already obsolete before they are released?

As more SS enter the wild and the second 5* goes live and the hoarders end up w 2 5*s on the team then where does this game go?

I bet deleted is where it ends for a lot, but again who knows w the upcoming changes.
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Am I missing something? It's always the same few characters even now. I agree this will make it even worse, but I see the same 7-9 guys every time I go to play in vs. anyway. It's just that now there is a little IMHB and Prof sprinkled in.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Am I missing something? It's always the same few characters even now. I agree this will make it even worse, but I see the same 7-9 guys every time I go to play in vs. anyway. It's just that now there is a little IMHB and Prof sprinkled in.
    I disagree a little here. in the beast pvp I actually played against the following characters: Cyclops, fist, loki, marvel, hb, jean, xfw, iceman, carnage, and of course beast, but also saw plenty of thing and xpool out there. there is a sliver in the upper-middle class or lower-upper class that was a lot of Cyclops, loki, fist, and hb, but it is far more diverse than xfw/4thor ever was.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Roster diversity was a joke when they threw that out there as an excuse (I think it was during the true healing change).

If this was important, we would see all tiers of characters re-balanced, rather than new very weak or very strong characters rushed out the door.

If this was important, roster slots wouldn't cost so much that players figure it worthwhile to ditch most of their 1* and 2* characters.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say this the diversity is the weekly buffs. If you have a full 3* roster you can find a good pairing with the weekly buffs. The weekly buffs is what makes 3* still relevant in PVP. Once you get above 1000 in PVP you will see a lot of 4* teams because the majority of players who are above 1300 are primarily using 4*. They will use the fastest 4* or have a defensive 4* team with huge health hoping people will skip them while hopping.
    Overall I use a wide variety of buffed 3* in PVP and that makes the diversity a lot of fun for me personally.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    All tiers of character re-balancing is likely never going to happen. The whole weekly buff list is their band-aid to make the **** 3* characters somewhat bearable so they can say their stats show that **** characters are still being used.

To be fair, it's probably only a good idea to go re-balance all the bad characters if you DON'T like money. It's 1000% more profitable to just release newer, stronger characters. Just look at the list TxMoose listed of chars used in the PVP. It's overwhelmingly tilted toward recently released characters, and even the main exceptions (loki and marvel) are mainly there to serve as an battery for cyclops anyway.. (Also I don't recall seeing xfw in the beast pvp that much, but that's just me)
  • Thorverine and sentry bombing days still had diversity. As in they were used because they win the fastest, but they were still manageable as opponents. Nowadays with jean grey & SS on the enemy team, having them as opponents are pretty much an autoskip. There's no more roster diversity to play with. Bring your own or die.