What's your most enraging/amazing/frustrating lost game?

Options
PuceMoose
PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Luck plays a big role in this game, and that's fine. We smile when the cascades spill in our favor, and curse and spit when they fall in favor of the opposition. Do you have any particularly noteworthy losses (or wins, for that matter) that have made you curse the RNG with a blind passion?

I had one just a few minutes ago that amazed me. I guess I'm a classic 'mid-tier' player, with a few first place finishes, but with most tournaments in the 25-50th place category. I went up against a 60 ** Wolverine / 62 Daken / 74 OBW team with my 80 ** Wolverine / 81 Classic Storm / 82 Thor team. My team has served me pretty well, and I managed to get up to 8th place before being beaten back to the mid 20's by a few retaliations.

Anyway, the fight in question was going normally for about the first 10 rounds; trading damage equally, nothing out of the ordinary. My team was down in health by about 20% or so across the board.

Then, someone peed in the RNG's Wheaties. A 5-tile red match for the enemy began the slaughter, and I sat there stunned as the AI received *four* critical making 5-matches in a row, with three of them being red. Adamantium Slash, Wolverine goes down. Adamantium slash, Thor goes down. Two feral claws and Storm goes down, -16 rank points!

I don't mean for this to be a whining sort of thread, just a "holy ****! did that just happen?" sort of thing. I decided that fight meant it was time to take a break for the night. ^.^

On the other hand, I had an awesome white-knuckle battle against a superior team (I decided to throw caution to the wind and fight one of those "Fortune 100+ Spidey club" teams, and came out of it with ONLY Thor alive, at ONE HP. I wish I'd taken a screenshot. That was a proud moment.

So, what's your most frustrating loss, or greatest win?

Comments

• My amazing lose is the wolverine duels. I am getting bored and tried to do matches without Spiderman.

To my surprise, 2* wolverine is very deadly against my 3* patch.

I guess I have given too many tiles to help the ai to beat me in 2 turns lol.
  • MNKromann
    Options
    I had a really stupid loss on The Best There Is, that with a win could have gotten me to 500 points and 50HP. I was down to a Thor vs Thor battle and used my Mjolnir. I didnt notice that gave me enough yellow tiles for Thunder Strike and I attacked instead. He then ended up getting an extra turn and killed me.

Just stupidity on my part
  • 1) Battle with my starting L40 mStorm/L35 IM35/L31 mBW against L210 Jugg-Rag-goon PvE in Hulk event. Decided to try my luck and on first try I beat them almost without any damage. It took me somewhere around 30+ minutes, but it felt great to win this without losing anyone. I never paid so much attention to board/
    2) During one of tourneys - I don't remember properly, I'd say IM40, with pre-nerf Wolvie and mStorm I attacked team of higher levels. Started with +6 in green and red, used usual Clws twice, then mStorm' Mistress. And that's where incredible casade started - it was somewhere around 10 or more matches, whole board changed several times, crits, everything. Two out of three characters were down after it and after my first match last character died too. It took me less than minute to end fight. Pure, unadulturated luck, nothing more.
    3) Just recently I fought against oBW/mStorm/Thor in NHB tourney. oBW was somewhere around my oBW, but I usually can beat them with my Ares/Punisher/oBW. Hah! After first three-four turns enemy's oBW had enough purple to make steal, so I used my 6 green on Ares. That was very big mistake. Never ever use it on Strom/oBW combination! What happened is slaughter by girls. oBW stole my APs, Storm used Mistress, got cascades, got enough green, another batch of cascades, bye-bye my oBW, oh, hello Thor's Mjolnir, bye-bye Punisher, one match by me, hello steal, another Mjolnir, bye-bye Ares. That was horrible and awesome at same time. Good that he was higher, so I didn't lose that many points and had enough time to climb higher after that.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Can't remember one such game right now, but most of them are against modern Storm + original Black Widow + whatever third IN JUNGLE/HI-TECH.
    BE VERY CAREFUL; don't let the computer get even close to Mistress, or else, the game is as good as lost. Just one mistake, one slip on your part and bye-bye 3 healthpacks. Also it's very frustrating to sit and watch AI flash endless ability loops in your face. I usually quit after a 4th or 5th enemy ability used xD
    Needless to say, I love comboing oBW and mStorm myself.
  • Last Night. Blind Justice.

Hulk, IM40, DD vs DD, Thor, 2* Wolverine

I lost. The other team had only 1 health point, and I lost.

... they squished my Hulk
  • Nothing worse than unloading on max Hulk with L5 Anger and coming up just short of killing him. I failed to realize how few Patch tiles were on the board and my red attack which i thought would end the match came up 640 HP shy. Screen turned green, my characters turned red...
  • I lost a horrible, horrible game once.

It was on the jungle and the team was a M Storm, OBW and Classic Magneto - Mistress of Elements, Anti-Gravity Device and F**K You combined with the environment tiles to create a never ending horrible, horrible loop.
  • My hulk had 1000 health, enemy spidey had 68. CRAZY Cascade lead to 800 damage ending with an extra turn, then got stunned and GG.

Ah well, it happens occasionally.
  • Every time the app crashes and costs me a game I feel like I"m being double punished. They need to let you resume matches when that happens.
  • The one time I forget to reapply Spidey-stun to one last remaining Thor, literally 2 turns before he wouldve been dead, and he proceeds to wipe out my entire team on his turn. Probably had a few like that actually.

As for events, I'd have to say the first "hero" lightning round I decided to try out, I got to 12th with 25 min. left and opted to keep playing for another 10 min. so I would only have to buy the cheapest shield. Needless to say, I ended up finishing in like the top 400 tier (or whatever it is for lightning rounds).
  • Yesterday the game lagged so bad it took two or three minutes for my turn to go through, then froze. I also lost about 5 easy matches due to massive cascades, mainly against original bw. I really need to stop underestimating her. Luckily they were shield training matches grinding for iso so it wasnt so bad.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Every time the app crashes and costs me a game I feel like I"m being double punished. They need to let you resume matches when that happens.

That would require to communicate each action with server -- ton of extra load on server, bandwidth, lag, you name it. And to prevent what really?

I play for like 2 months, not a single crash. If you have problems there probably need to check the box for health.
  • Losing to the same guy every 5 minutes can get frustrating , but then doing that to someone else can be funny icon_e_smile.gif
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Losing to the same guy every 5 minutes can get frustrating , but then doing that to someone else can be funny icon_e_smile.gif
    either's unfunny
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Every time the app crashes and costs me a game I feel like I"m being double punished. They need to let you resume matches when that happens.

That would require to communicate each action with server -- ton of extra load on server, bandwidth, lag, you name it.

Not necessarily. It could save a local copy of each action that it forces when you restart the app.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

That would require to communicate each action with server -- ton of extra load on server, bandwidth, lag, you name it.

Not necessarily. It could save a local copy of each action that it forces when you restart the app.

That's what we'd call exploit with legs. (though currently the server doesn't do proper job, but it could if only the programmers had a clue.)
  • Last night I only had 600 health Spidey left against a 5k+ IM40. But he matched a 4 tile red with 2 DD Ambush trap tiles in it on his next move. Which = Dead IM40.

EDIT: I thought it was win or loss. In that case I'm posting this on the behalf of the AI.