A relatively Newb perspective of progression and rewards

Wooodd
Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So lately I have read a lot of complaints scattered around the forums regarding how slow the progression is in this game for a new player.

I'm around day 68-70 not sure (I don't have me phone with me) and I feel that progression isn't really that much of an issue. Is 68-70 still a newb, I feel like it is. Maybe this should be a middlers perspective.

Perhaps I've been lucky in the pulls I've had from tokens, coupled with the fact that I placed 1st in my first few PvE events (that soon changed once I left the 'baby-brackets', struggling to keep T200 now). My roster is below, its a little out of date but only by a few covers, I feel that this it is quite good progression.

Despite this I do feel (as do most people from what I read) that the T100 placement rewards of star.pngstar.pngstar.png covers is a little off. People who need star.pngstar.pngstar.png 's are going to struggle to obtain them in this way as there brackets are generally full of people who have played for near on two years and are on the hunt for star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png . This said there is still a steady stream of star.pngstar.pngstar.png 's flowing (for me at least), I feel that 1 every day or two isn't too shabby.

For the older players who had to go through the struggle of obtaining their star.pngstar.pngstar.png 's before they changed the rewards up, just consider that others were going through this at the same time as you, whereas us newer players are going through it against a torrent for fully covered star.pngstar.pngstar.png 's.

Now whilst I am happy with the speed of progression I'm making as a F2P player, I do feel that the placement rewards are a little out of kilter with the current community and their levels. Everything should be bumped down a notch which perhaps an additional star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png cover for T2 placement, so:

001 - 002 : 2 x star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png & 3 x star.pngstar.pngstar.png 1500 iso8.png 50 spideycoin.png
003 - 010 : 1 x star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png & 3 x star.pngstar.pngstar.png 1500 iso8.png 50 spideycoin.png
011 - 020 : 3 x star.pngstar.pngstar.png 1500 iso8.png 50 spideycoin.png
021 - 050 : 2 x star.pngstar.pngstar.png 1000 iso8.png 50 spideycoin.png
051 - 100 : 2 x star.pngstar.pngstar.png 1000 iso8.png 50 spideycoin.png
010 - 150 : 1 x star.pngstar.pngstar.png 1500 iso8.png 25 spideycoin.png
151 - 200 : 1 x star.pngstar.pngstar.png 500 iso8.png 25 spideycoin.png
201 - 300 : 1 x star.pngstar.png 500 iso8.png 25 spideycoin.png
Etc... (you get my drift)

I think that this build of rewards would benefit all levels of players new and old, as the top tier would have more incentive as T10 would get star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png , whilst those just beginning to build a star.pngstar.pngstar.png roster are a little more able with T200 netting a cover.

Bottom line, I'm happy with the speed of progression the way it is, but if you are going to offer star.pngstar.pngstar.png rewards they should be obtainable to the people who need them without them having to negate sleep or food.

How do you other newbies (or middlers) feel about the progression, and how have you progressed so far?

On a side note, whats with the progression rewards system that's in place. Why does a 3 day event have the same rewards as a 7 day event just with different goal posts? Shouldn't a longer event hold additional rewards to keep a steady playtime to reward ratio?

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wooodd wrote:
    For the older players who had to go through the struggle of obtaining their star.pngstar.pngstar.png 's before they changed the rewards up, just consider that others were going through this at the same time as you, whereas us newer players are going through it against a torrent for fully covered star.pngstar.pngstar.png 's.
    This is at best misleading. There has always been whales who have bought covers for an advantage. I started about a month after launch I believe, and while I was building my two-star roster it was not uncommon for me to run into maxed Ragnarok/GSBW teams, which were the Big Bads of the day.
    On the one hand, there are many more covers to collect now. On the other, DDQ has made getting those covers a lot easier...
  • Wooodd
    Quebbster wrote:
    Wooodd wrote:
    This is at best misleading. There has always been whales who have bought covers for an advantage. I started about a month after launch I believe, and while I was building my two-star roster it was not uncommon for me to run into maxed Ragnarok/GSBW teams, which were the Big Bads of the day.
    On the one hand, there are many more covers to collect now. On the other, DDQ has made getting those covers a lot easier...
    Not disagreeing with you, there are in all walks of life people who need to be at the top. Its in their nature. This is also replicated now with the fully covered star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png 's I see dotted about.

I'm sure that the pure volume of maxed star.pngstar.pngstar.png teams was way less than it is now.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wooodd wrote:
    I'm sure that the pure volume of maxed star.pngstar.pngstar.png teams was way less than it is now.
    I'm not so sure about that since the number of star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters was a lot lower back then. If you were dedicated you could easily build them up. I think it took me around 6 months to max my first 3* (Punisher) and I was fairly casual...
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I'm on day 146 and finally my 3-stars are better than my 2-stars. My only 13-cover 3-stars are Hulk and Beast but there's well over a dozen who are at 10+ covers and bring good stuff to the table (like 5-yellow, 4-green, 1-purple Kamala Khan, or 5-read, 3-yellow, 3-blue LCap).

I have zero even semi-usable 4-stars (they just take up roster space and help by being PvE Essentials). I just got a "lucky" Starlord from a heroic token and was disappointed since now I "need" to find a roster slot for him somehow when XFW is just around the corner in the daily rewards (and I need to find a slot for him as well).

PvP is essentially a no-go area (I join with an hour to go and get to ~500 points while dodging 166-teams in order to get the even token and some HP and sometimes lucky placement + the season 10-pack) while in PvE I've taken the Legendary Token from every event where it has been on offer.

I seem to get, on average, two or three 3-star covers a day (including the one from DDQ) which is nice enough, I suppose.
  • Wooodd
    Quebbster wrote:
    Wooodd wrote:
    I'm not so sure about that since the number of star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters was a lot lower back then. If you were dedicated you could easily build them up. I think it took me around 6 months to max my first 3* (Punisher) and I was fairly casual...
    You could be right there, being less star.pngstar.pngstar.png 's does mean that your more likely to get one you want I suppose. Perhaps I needed to view this with a little more perspective.

As I said in the OP I'm not unhappy with the progression in itself (68-70 days and have 11 covers for icon_doctordoom.png and 9 for icon_cyclops.png). Its more a gripe that the only people who can regularly hit the star.pngstar.pngstar.png rewards are the people who have, or are nearing, star.pngstar.pngstar.png completion. Its not out of the realm of possibility (if I have 1-2 essentials I can sometimes scrape T100), but it seems a little off kilter.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm fairly new (day 60 I think) and I don't have an issue with progression, I feel like it's a reasonable pace and I manage to pick up the legendary tokens from most of the PVE events (think I might miss this one thanks to business partners) and am slowly accumulating covers for a 3* progression. I think people who want to shoot through 1/2 * all the way up to 4* in a month are just impatient.

I can completely understand the 3-4* transition people complaining as that's a much tougher transition but shouldn't upward progress on any game be more difficult the higher you go?
  • Wooodd
    PvP is essentially a no-go area (I join with an hour to go and get to ~500 points while dodging 166-teams in order to get the even token and some HP and sometimes lucky placement + the season 10-pack
    I think I have been going wrong with PvP, I join early so that I can climb to 650 for the cardpack.png without getting bombarded by attacks with everyone on the final push, then just knock a few rounds out at the end to keep my score high enough for the 10 cardpack.png. Obviously this means another star.pngstar.pngicon_humantorch.pnggreenflag.png for me in placements, whoohoo!

May have to try holding off and joining at the end, see if I can luck my way into an empty bracket place somewhere better.
    I can completely understand the 3-4* transition people complaining as that's a much tougher transition but shouldn't upward progress on any game be more difficult the higher you go?
    Yes it should be, some 3-4 star.pnger's seem to have a grievance against how much easier the 2-3 star.png transition is now compared with their climb. This is what I don't understand.
  • I'm on day 146 and finally my 3-stars are better than my 2-stars. ...[edited to highlight bits I'm actually responding to]...

PvP is essentially a no-go area (I join with an hour to go and get to ~500 points while dodging 166-teams in order to get the even token and some HP and sometimes lucky placement + the season 10-pack) while in PvE I've taken the Legendary Token from every event where it has been on offer.

I seem to get, on average, two or three 3-star covers a day (including the one from DDQ) which is nice enough, I suppose.

11 days ahead of you and just hit the 800 progression on PvP for the second time ever. Trouble is I feel like I only got to 800 because the featured character was one I had 11 covers for (now 12 of course). So now I'm left thinking PvP progression may only be useful to me for finishing off 3*s that are almost done.

650 and 725 progressions are fairly reliably hit by my roster, which doesn't sound all too different from yours. (Top 10 characters can all level to at least 127 if I wanted but all voluntarily capped at 112 at the moment.) I like to join early and get to 200 or preferably 300 for the event token, likely climbing to around 500 mid-event where there is something similar to an equilibrium then try to hit my peak progression at a convenient time in the last 12 hours but before the last 3 hours, this seems to give me the longest opportunities to climb without being hit.

Hopefully that 800 progression will start to become easier now I'm practiced at it, but I'm not confident about any featured character with 5 or less covers getting to the 800 even with heavy support from 2 well-covered and boosted partners.

I wouldn't say that I feel like I'm getting an average of 2 3*s a day though. Getting the DDQ cover just about every day of course, but a second cover a day? Every other day perhaps.

I do feel like I'm going to have pretty much all my 3* characters well enough covered to use within the next 2 months or so, but I don't feel like I'm going to be using 4* characters for at least another 6 months at this rate. Bit worried about the way I see that developing.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Grantosium wrote:
    I do feel like I'm going to have pretty much all my 3* characters well enough covered to use within the next 2 months or so, but I don't feel like I'm going to be using 4* characters for at least another 6 months at this rate. Bit worried about the way I see that developing.

In many ways that's actually not a bad timeline for a free to play mobile game. I mean, there is literally no other content unless you count a random new event every 4-6 months (yay?). After you have 4* characters usable, then you spend 6-12 months filling them out and building your 5*. By that time the 6* release will be right around the corner. This is pretty much the recipe for how this game (and many other free to play mobile games) works.

tldr That's a normal timeline, if it were any faster alot of people would get bored and quit pretty quickly after.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Wooodd wrote:
    PvP is essentially a no-go area (I join with an hour to go and get to ~500 points while dodging 166-teams in order to get the even token and some HP and sometimes lucky placement + the season 10-pack
    I think I have been going wrong with PvP, I join early so that I can climb to 650 for the cardpack.png without getting bombarded by attacks with everyone on the final push, then just knock a few rounds out at the end to keep my score high enough for the 10 cardpack.png. Obviously this means another star.pngstar.pngicon_humantorch.pnggreenflag.png for me in placements, whoohoo!

May have to try holding off and joining at the end, see if I can luck my way into an empty bracket place somewhere better.
    I just joined Real McCoy with 1h4min left to the event - came in at #7 and my final placement was #10 with 582 points. Which was nice since my Doc Ock already had five covers in his black so that wasn't needed, but the other two I can put on. I also got 100 HP and some ISO from the placement. So pretty nice for an hour. I didn't get attacked once (but my Beast is pretty rad as is my Cyclops/***Marvel (alternated between the two) and complemented with Kamala Khan so only needed 5 health packs.