Encouragement for reaching 1300

gmp72
gmp72 Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi Forumites,

I know there has been a lot of unhappiness with the PvP system lately, but although it is flawed, it is still possible to do well.
I thought I would share my experience to encourage players to persevere for that 1300 reward.

Real McCoy
Reached 1300 for the first time
Placed T1 for the first time
Final Score : 1323

I have two 4 star.pngs at 168
And five 3 star.pngs at 166

icon_cyclops.png was boosted so I could take down jean-busters, ice-busters and fist-busters.

I spent about 900 imcoin.png on shields, but recovered about 250 imcoin.png in rewards for that event.
So for 650 imcoin.png , I got :

icon_thing.pnggreenflag.png
icon_professorx.pngpurpleflag.png
icon_thor.pngblueflag.png

Worth it, I think.

So don't give up, you can do it without a developed 4 star.png roster if the right characters are boosted and you use shields wisely.

My Roster : http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/gmp72/

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think everyone can count on hitting first with 1300 points, but a 650 HP cost is still very good for two four-star covers, much less three.
  • gmp72
    True.
    My aim was 1300 ... T1 was just a bonus icon_e_smile.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    congrats. love boosted cyc. I hit 1300 for my third time. congrats on both 1300 and first - that is a hard feat for sure when there aren't many pts around you. I spent a little more than you though - had a couple of hits come through and a wipe early that would have saved the last 300hp on the 24 hr, then I'd have spent less. I'm going for it one more time and then probably back to 1K targets.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congrats! I had you queued at one point, but I had doubts that you still had that many points, since you weren't running 4*s, so I skipped. Good job!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Boosted cyclops does indeed make everything much easier.

As Quebbster pointed out, however, 1300 and change will rarely be enough for top 1 if you play in slices with top tier alliances.

And while 650HP is a very reasonable price for 3 4* covers, it's also not at all a sustainable price for ever PVP (at 3 a week, that would be 1950 HP per week on shields alone. Adding in Roster slot costs, that is significantly more than one can easily earn in the same period.)

I still think the smartest long-term strategy is play to 1k as often as possible with as few shields as possible (usually 0-1 is necessary). Doing it that way makes every pvp event revenue-positive, so it's possible to afford a new roster slot every other week.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I still think the smartest long-term strategy is play to 1k as often as possible with as few shields as possible (usually 0-1 is necessary). Doing it that way makes every pvp event revenue-positive, so it's possible to afford a new roster slot every other week.
    That's the path I'm taking. I won't shield with more than a day left in the tournament. If I feel I have a shot at 1300 in the closing hours I might go for it, but I'll be perfectly content with 1000 points per PvP.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    That's the path I'm taking. I won't shield with more than a day left in the tournament. If I feel I have a shot at 1300 in the closing hours I might go for it, but I'll be perfectly content with 1000 points per PvP.

Yup, this strategy actually works even better if you aren't in a pvp competitive alliance, since you can score 1k much earlier in the event and forget about buying shields to protect your score.

The underlying point however, is that 1300 is more or less a sucker's play. The gap is too large (and therefore the necessary shield hopping too expensive) relative to the value of the prize (even when it was a static cover). Nice when/if you ca get it, but certainly not something to worry about.

IMO 1k is the heart of what the devs call the "elder game."
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    The underlying point however, is that 1300 is more or less a sucker's play. The gap is too large (and therefore the necessary shield hopping too expensive) relative to the value of the prize (even when it was a static cover). Nice when/if you ca get it, but certainly not something to worry about.

Disagree a bit with what I bolded of your statement. The investment (which could range anywhere from 225-900hp, pre-rewards) was certainly justified when the quantity was known.

900HP for the 5th red IMHB is better than 2500HP to have a game changing character. 900HP for 50% 1000iso is OTOH an awful use of resources.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    900HP for the 5th red IMHB is better than 2500HP to have a game changing character. 900HP for 50% 1000iso is OTOH an awful use of resources.

^This. I stopped going for 1300 after the first time I hit after the token replaced the known cover and I pulled a green X-Force from it. Nope. I'll get my tokens from casually grinding PvE, season rewards and DDQ, and play PvPs to 1,000 when theres something there I want. I'll have a new, usable character in about 3 months icon_lol.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, the one thing I realized about comparing shield cost against % of getting a useful cover, is that covers are far from equal. It's not as if I'd ever spend 2500 on a 2nd blue Falcap cover, so you really need to figure out what your missing covers are actually worth to you in order to figure how much it's worth spending on shields to get a token.
  • What slice were you in?

I was in slice 2 (ended at 1 AM EST) and couldn't find targets. Even down around 700 pts I was struggling to find even 40 pt targets. I think 850 was the highest progression I got.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I think the hardest part is finding the high point fights during your climb. I've heard to only stick with 35+ point matches, but there always seems to come a point where these matches dry up. Anyone else with this experience?
  • What slice were you in?

I was in slice 2 (ended at 1 AM EST) and couldn't find targets. Even down around 700 pts I was struggling to find even 40 pt targets. I think 850 was the highest progression I got.

I played S2, and it was very dry also. So much so that I had to shield the second time I passed 900 just due to taking multiple hits after the first. Had about 5 bounces after that shield at 949, but luckily I caught a 1200+ pt target for a queue while he hopped and managed to cross 1k with one match a few hours later. (which lasted forever, thanks for all the yellow cascades and healing AI side beast...)

S2 can be expected to be pretty dry midweek, as the bigger alliances there are running up their points early, then shielding out to their final scores a day ahead from what I hear. Its tough hitting 1k, and much worse higher, but it would require 24 hr shielding after my regular hops to 1k to try to stay in S4, and I can't do that with my HP or schedule.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congratulations. Myself and a team mate were right behind you actually playing off your shield. We ended in 4th and 5th. Both had 1300but got hit so it did not register. It is nice to see somebody that does not have a roster that is all maxed out win a pvp for once. Luck of the draw.
  • gmp72
    Hey Rockkett ... Yeah I used you as well to climb ... Thanks icon_e_smile.gif

I was in Slice 1.
    Targets were hard to find as the slice was dry ...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Boosted cyclops does indeed make everything much easier.

As Quebbster pointed out, however, 1300 and change will rarely be enough for top 1 if you play in slices with top tier alliances.

And while 650HP is a very reasonable price for 3 4* covers, it's also not at all a sustainable price for ever PVP (at 3 a week, that would be 1950 HP per week on shields alone. Adding in Roster slot costs, that is significantly more than one can easily earn in the same period.)

I think you are right that 1000 is the best target to go too. I will also say that when a really good 3* like cyclops is boosted that is the time to try for 1300. I normally just hit 1000 with an 8 hr shield and call it a day, but in the Beast PVP I got to 1175 with about 8 1/2 hours left. I used a 3hr shield then made 2 75 point matches to 1300. I ran Cyclops Loki the whole time and bought 0 health packs.
    I also think that this was an easier PVP climb for me because I also have Beast Maxed out on levels now and people who were climbing might have skipped my team for easier targets