Watch my epic fight against Silver Surfer (follow-up)

zonatahunt
zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2015 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but why was the post with this exact title locked? Mr. Moore said the post "called out" the player who's roster the OP fought against...but the OP didn't. They posted a link to a video that showed the battle and how intense it was. I read no disrespect towards the person who's roster had the awesome SS, and in no way did I think the post was showing them up. So why was it locked?

Comments

• The owner of that Silver Surfer was given a hard time on the forums, on Reddit, on Youtube in the videos where people post their teams winning against him while he's just trying to enjoy the game. The forum rules are pretty specific on the issue.
  • zonatahunt
    Okay, but he wasn't given a hard time here at all. By all means it felt as though the OP was showing a lot of respect towards that person's roster and the battle that ensued. Once again, I understand needing to moderate bullying, but that just wasn't the case with this post. Isn't that the problem with to many executive decisions these days; decisions made on what is exactly said in the by-laws, as opposed to an individual instance? Sorry, I just don't see how that post was an issue at all. Don't know why the moderator locking the thread irked me so much, but it did.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    the fact is, even if it is respectful, it's calling out the roster and the player. he's a guy who just wants to play the game, not some testing ground for people who want to "try out" SS and make posts and post it on youtube without his permission. by all means take a video of fighting SS in one of the PVEs, not against another player.

and this is like the 4th or 5th thread about him, by the way.

would everyone be okay if he started posting videos of all his hits against other people in pvp using SS "respectfully"? it's a slippery slope when we start doing this, as more 5* come into play and more people get hard to beat rosters.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hi-Fi specifically said "single player", so just call out two players in your post, even if they've got nothing to do with what you're talking about.

I'm looking at you zonatahunt & Omega Red.
  • zonatahunt
    Haha! Thanks Maw, I needed that! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I'm surprised to see my topic got locked. I made a video because you don't get the opportunity to fight in such an unbalanced match everyday and I wanted to document my gameplay and study my mistakes. I posted it here because I thought it turned out to be an exciting match that coud be of interest for the community and it might encourage other players to play against Silver surfer instead of skipping.

No offense nor disrespect was meant to the owner of that roster. Unfortunately this player apparently is the only one with a nearly maxed surfer and that brings automatic attention to him, whether he likes it or not. It's nothing personal against him, even if I had left out his name other players would have asked who he was. His name was mentioned in my OP precisely to avoid those questions and provide context, not to make the thread about him. The responses I got pretty much focused on the match itself and not on him nor me.

Many other players have gained notoriety for different things. Plenty of threads have been made dedicated to them or call them out directly for whatever reasons and I don't see any of those threads get locked. I'm sorry that somebody found offense in my post. I was just excited for my petty little achievement and wanted to share it with the community. Next time I'll keep it to myself after all, we don't want to piss the VIP players, right? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Mods moved in like a Greenpeace inflatable on that thread!
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    the fact is, even if it is respectful, it's calling out the roster and the player. he's a guy who just wants to play the game

I don´t see how. His name was mentioned for reference and context. No judgement of any kind was placed onto him.
    not some testing ground for people who want to "try out" SS and make posts and post it on youtube without his permission. by all means take a video of fighting SS in one of the PVEs, not against another player.

Why would I need his permission?! There is nothing confidential nor private to be revealed. It's only a screenname and a roster. It's as anonymous as today's internet can be. Also, I didn't seek him on purpose. He attacked me and what you saw was the retaliation. I was just playing the game as much as him. Finally, the resulting material is not presented in any way that brings shame or humiliation to him.
    and this is like the 4th or 5th thread about him, by the way.

You are the one making these posts about him. The original thread was discussing the excitement of the match and strategy until you showed up and made it about him.

would everyone be okay if he started posting videos of all his hits against other people in pvp using SS "respectfully"? it's a slippery slope when we start doing this, as more 5* come into play and more people get hard to beat rosters.

Actually, I would love to see a video of him climbing all the way to the top with his roster, that would be awesome. In any game it's always great to see the best players playing it at the highest level.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey all! The only way for threads about going up against SS not getting locked is for you to post screenshots or videos of every player who has a playable Silver Surfer. As for as I know there are two other players who has a maxed covered Silver Surfer. Fight against those two and post your videos in the same thread. That won't be singling out one specific player, which was what happened with the locked threads.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    Hi-Fi specifically said "single player", so just call out two players in your post, even if they've got nothing to do with what you're talking about.

I'm looking at you zonatahunt & Omega Red.
    Trying to "rules lawyer" the community manager is probably not a great plan. If you have a problem with his decision, I suggest you PM him directly to discuss it.

Moved to Suggestions and Feedback.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    If someone still has the link for the video, I'd actually like to watch it. You'll probably have to PM me since it's taboo.
  • zonatahunt
    WOW. Having been moved from the general forum has once again left me with that "irked" feeling I spoke of previously. Honestly, this has the smell of censorship. Unreal. It's a forum dedicated to a game...yet the way some benign posts are moderated you'd think rights were actually being violated.

I guess asking questions about why some things are done the way they are around here isn't tolerated. Now that is a sad state of affairs.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    zonatahunt wrote:
    WOW. Having been moved from the general forum has once again left me with that "irked" feeling I spoke of previously. Honestly, this has the smell of censorship. Unreal. It's a forum dedicated to a game...yet the way some benign posts are moderated you'd think rights were actually being violated.

I guess asking questions about why some things are done the way they are around here isn't tolerated. Now that is a sad state of affairs.

the moderators and devs have the right to decide what content they want on their website. it's not "censorship" if they don't want people to post about specific individuals' rosters. you can go elsewhere to discuss it if you want.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even though i fully enjoyed the video, nail biting and all, i understand why the thread had to go.. and why this one might as well..

Think of forums in general , not just MPQ.. what starts innocently enough.. ends up in flame wars and bashing. We try our hardest to keep it from happening. But when it does, something needs to be done.

There are many surfers out there.. i have seen 1 maxed in PVP, and it was not the person everyone is calling out..

Save the video for MPQ video club, blur out the players name.. and let's call it a day, shall we?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    zonatahunt wrote:

Moving a topic out of General is not censorship. It still exists. It's right here, with people looking at it and commenting on it.

The post was feedback on a moderation decision from D3's community manager. It got moved to Suggestions and Feedback. It's not like it was summarily executed or something.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've got no dog at all in this fight, but locking a play video and deleting the link feels like mods-gone-wild to me. There was no "calling out" of another player in that thread. It just so happens that he's the only one with a 9 or 10 (or whatever) cover SS who's not sandboxed. The owner of the SS wasn't the least bit relevant to that thread. It was only about how a relatively **** team can actually beat a SS team. I'm sure a lot of people would like to know it's possible, and to see how it's done. If you're going to be THAT twitchy about mere references to other players' names, just redact it from the original post. But if you DO insist on being all moddy about this kinda stuff, call it for what it is. Say "No referencing of other players in posts". Don't accuse the OP of "calling out" anyone, because that's far from what he was doing... and now that the post and link have been edited/deleted, latecomers to the thread are going to wrongly assume that's what he was doing. Which is complete ****.
  • simonsez
    Yeah, I just posted the above in general because I didn't know this thread was here... for the reasons cited above: people seldom look here. Great way to hide criticism.
  • kensterr
    There wouldn't be a calling out if the name was blurred out from the video. And there has been enough posts made about this particular player but no one seem bothered to start posting about 2 other players with a 3/5/5 Silver Surfer.
  • simonsez
    kensterr wrote:
    no one seem bothered to start posting about 2 other players with a 3/5/5 Silver Surfer.
    Probably because those guys are 6 minutes away from getting sandboxed
  • kensterr
    simonsez wrote:
    kensterr wrote:
    no one seem bothered to start posting about 2 other players with a 3/5/5 Silver Surfer.
    Probably because those guys are 6 minutes away from getting sandboxed
    I hope that they are legit so that people can also try out their SS instead of focusing on just one person (who happened to spend loads of cash for THAT many tokens)