Thanks to D3 Forum posters

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Finally beat my first DDQ today with the often recommended Thormneto combo. So thanks to everyone who contributes in threads giving advice, it really helped... now if only there was a kill all ninjas power....

Comments

• Finally beat my first DDQ today with the often recommended Thormneto combo. So thanks to everyone who contributes in threads giving advice, it really helped... now if only there was a kill all ninjas power....

Nothing beats the first BE victory... icon_e_wink.gif

Congrats! icon_e_biggrin.gif

DBC

P.S. Yes, the ninjas suck. Boo. icon_mad.gif
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ninja trick:

Use any stunner to stun them just before you kill them. They do not generate the Attack tiles if you kill them while stunned.
  • OneLastGambit
    I was elated to finally win one, ive been building my MNMags for the last 2 weeks to be usable and then when I finally had Thor, Storm and Mags up to a usable level I didn't have the featured character doh! I looked ahead and saw that Rags was coming up and lo and behold I had a Rags in my recruitment queue so I recruited him just to beat this event ha ha. I don't even want the blue cover I got for it I just wanted to win.
  • pheregas
    The hard part is getting those pesky 3* essentials... Then the waiting game once you have a crew that can beat that last node. I've been using the exact same team every single time since.

As you level them, eventually you can even stop using boosts!
  • OneLastGambit
    pheregas wrote:
    The hard part is getting those pesky 3* essentials... Then the waiting game once you have a crew that can beat that last node. I've been using the exact same team every single time since.

I don't use boosts, ever. Completed it with a team of fully covered lvl 81 CStorm, MNMags and Thor.

I made the decision very early to never use boosts (mainly in PVE) to stop me beating things before I'm supposed to and keep my learning curve steady. Turns out that it was a wise decision because unbeknownst to me it also keeps my scaling reasonable.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    It will also prevent you from acquiring the bad habit of burn iso/hp on boosts...really adds up over time.
    must admit I'm one of those with that bad habit. i use 4 iso boosts for big enchilada with 2* thormneto (don't boost any other ddq nodes other than the 4*) and i iso boost hard pve nodes and some essentials, depending on team and opponent. i never hp boost anything other than against 4* teams in pvp or during hops. I'm pretty liberal with iso boosts in the mid-hard pve nodes. I'm sure it has added up over time but seems to work for me.
  • pheregas
    pheregas wrote:

I don't use boosts, ever. Completed it with a team of fully covered lvl 81 CStorm, MNMags and Thor.

I made the decision very early to never use boosts (mainly in PVE) to stop me beating things before I'm supposed to and keep my learning curve steady. Turns out that it was a wise decision because unbeknownst to me it also keeps my scaling reasonable.

Excellent!

As a rule, I rarely use boosts. I had made the exception with the DDQ since a little Iso guaranteed getting a 3* cover. I had no desire to actually level up most of those characters. I keep many of my 1/2/3* at or near the minimum to help reduce scaling costs. Now I just sit back and rake in the Iso every day.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    When you're in 2* land, there is no better feeling than opening up a token and seeing a shiny Gold cover waiting to be revealed icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • pheregas
    Yeah. I just got my wife playing and she's going through the prologue. I gifted her a standard cover, which she pulled a Scarlet Witch out of! She's now happily tromping some of those level 15 starter nodes. icon_e_smile.gif
  • OneLastGambit
    When you're in 2* land, there is no better feeling than opening up a token and see a shiny Gold cover waiting to be revealed icon_e_biggrin.gif

That is a good feeling indeed. I've even pulled a couple of 4* covers from standard recruit tokens. Happened twice (Kingpin yellowtile.png and Deadpool redtile.png )
  • OneLastGambit
    Added to that thread as well.
  • TxMoose wrote:
    It will also prevent you from acquiring the bad habit of burn iso/hp on boosts...really adds up over time.
    must admit I'm one of those with that bad habit. i use 4 iso boosts for big enchilada with 2* thormneto (don't boost any other ddq nodes other than the 4*) and i iso boost hard pve nodes and some essentials, depending on team and opponent. i never hp boost anything other than against 4* teams in pvp or during hops. I'm pretty liberal with iso boosts in the mid-hard pve nodes. I'm sure it has added up over time but seems to work for me.

I am not sure why people wouldn't use boosts. Boosts can save health packs. I run XDP + Xforce, and boosting 2 green/black and 1 blue/purple means I have 5 matches to get my black/purple combo. If I don't, 7 matches. The difference in those two turns can be the difference between using a health pack or not. Sure the iso adds up over time, but you can always get more ISO. Health packs on the other hand are finite (unless you use cash).
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    barrok wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

I am not sure why people wouldn't use boosts. Boosts can save health packs. I run XDP + Xforce, and boosting 2 green/black and 1 blue/purple means I have 5 matches to get my black/purple combo. If I don't, 7 matches. The difference in those two turns can be the difference between using a health pack or not. Sure the iso adds up over time, but you can always get more ISO. Health packs on the other hand are finite (unless you use cash).

Its a question of where you are in the game, and what you gain. In the later 3* and 4* transitions a lot of people are ISO constrained so boosting slows that down. Boosting definitely has its place, such as end of sub grinds in PVE or shield hops in PVP, but in general using them allows you to punch above your weight class and you develop a dependency.
  • It doesn't seem like a bad dependancy to have. ISO is infinite, so it's not like you can't keep boosting forever. Using boosts when you don't need to is dumb (like against pvp seed teams, early nodes in PVE), but anywhere else in the game you might as well. It's not like there's a downside and since we never truly face off against an opponent without the ability to boost, it doesn't hurt to boost (and you seem to be only slowing yourself down if you don't)
  • OneLastGambit
    MarvelMan wrote:
    barrok wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

Its a question of where you are in the game, and what you gain. In the later 3* and 4* transitions a lot of people are ISO constrained so boosting slows that down. Boosting definitely has its place, such as end of sub grinds in PVE or shield hops in PVP, but in general using them allows you to punch above your weight class and you develop a dependency.

^^^ this.

Id rather fight at my level otherwise you'll always need boosts because you'll always punch at a level above what you can naturally.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eventually you want to hoard your boosts so that you can have half a chance at the 4* DDQ, at which point you might not even need to use them at all in the normal course of playing. Another reason to not use them is that I always I forget to unequip them and so unnecessarily burn through a bunch on accident.
  • Congrats to the OP on the big cherry pop!

It's interesting and enlightening that a common expression is "Nothing feels better than that first time beating the BE" or "seeing that shiny gold cover when you are in 2* territory is the best!"

Reflecting on that, it's totally true. Upon entering 3* territory and upward, the game is a long, grindy nightmare. Those progression highs come to a full stop. The only other similar feeling I had was cracking 1000 in PVP for the first time. But even that was a dull sensation compared to what had come before. Let's call it the MPQ-crack law of diminishing returns. You'll never get back to that first high, but you'll keep on trying no matter the cost.

Don't get me wrong, I still think MPQ is fun. I really appreciate and enjoy the fundamentals of the game. But if you are not willing to invest the time, energy and (really now) money, I have a hard time seeing casual interest past a certain point.

Then again, I am a masochistic, degenerate loser, so I am probably skewing those results by being an outlier in the data set. icon_lol.gif
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use Daken/Storm/Magneto for ninjas. Daken serves as a quasi-tank while you grab Purple and Red for Magneto. Daken should cover Black and Blue.