Hypothetical: Voluntary Sandboxing

2»

Comments

• Hey out there,

I don't understand anything you say here.

Could someone - please! - explain me (I'm german, pretty good with handling english, but these are special meanings, I suppose), what this means, sandboxing and being sandboxed?

icon_rolleyes.gificon_question.gif

Thank you!

Susie
  • Hey out there,

I don't understand anything you say here.

Could someone - please! - explain me (I'm german, pretty good with handling english, but these are special meanings, I suppose), what this means, sandboxing and being sandboxed?

icon_rolleyes.gificon_question.gif

Thank you!

Susie

D3 will 'sandbox' someone who cheats. They still play the game normally, but they aren't allowed to be in an alliance, nor to affect any player that isn't sandboxed. They will still have nodes in pvp, but the points they win from a victory will never be subtracted from the person they hit. They can play pve nodes, but their ranking will only be seen by themselves, and the rest of the server playing the real game will not see them or have them counted for the ranking prizes.

Basically, its become a way of playing, but without having to compete. Its the competition aspect of the majority of the modes in this game that become the most frustrating, and I've considered it myself. As was said above, my main concern would be having the game become stale and hollow. I kinda still want to set up a separate game just to try out some of the cool new characters... but as is I don't really have anymore time than what I put into MPQ at the moment.
  • Thank you! So it's a kind of isolation. Okay. I never would risk this. These players are stupid and lazy, have no patience to work on a good game truly and honest.

Now my understanding has grown, thank you again, Squirrel! icon_e_smile.gif
  • indesignkat
    indesignkat Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Thread is old and probably dead, but since you can't link steam & android accounts anyway I'd love to be able to 'solo mode' my steam account. Since I can't justify spending money on the game (mortgage, 2 car payments, and wife's health issues just cost us her job) I've got a fun but limited android version and a useless, pain in the **** steam version. On Android I've got three 2 star champs just under level 100 and a bunch of 1-4 cover 3 stars taking up my 21 roster spots. On Steam Iron Man Model 35 is still my biggest character and I'm rarely able to get even 1 taco token. I'd happily sandbox myself on steam if I knew how (and that let me buy roster spots/tokens) just to have a more fun way to fart around in the game while I'm waiting for my android account to heal up.

As for the "it will suck out your soul and make you hate the game" argument, that's been going on for years with modding PC games. I can play X-Com Terror From the Deep with or without cheats/mods and I have a blast either way. Same with the various versions of Civilization. They're just different experiences.
  • volunteering to sandbox would of been perfect. i was already in a dying alliance and i can't consistently play so i would of appreciated this sooo much.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    D3, you might want to check if you're too stingy and competition is too hard when players are wishing for their own sandbox to play in. Maybe making PVE competing vs the game instead of vs other players wasn't a bad idea after all...
  • as an autistic person who doesn't like competing and can't strategize enough to place well enough this would be perfect for me! all I want is to play this game and not deal with that aspect at all and to do so on my tab, laptops too bulky and consoles are for coop and hardcore games.... maybe one day that mythical single player mode will appear
  • bbf2
    bbf2 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    So basically sandboxing sounds like:

You give up the ability to receive all PVP and PVE rankings rewards and alliance rewards in exchange for the ability to not be hit by others in PVP (and as such are actually able to hit the PVP progression rewards)

That doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.

I'm someone relatively new to the game (128 days according to the SHIELD resupply) and I mostly play PVE and only do the bare minimum in PVP in order to get the 10-pack. The reason for this is that its SO unsatisfying and unfun to know that a ton of the progress and victories in PVP can be quickly taken away in a seemingly random fashion because of forces that are more or less outside of your control. (and yes I know that you do have some degree of control in regards to shielding, but I'm still at the stage where all of my HP needs to be completely focused on new roster slots)

The idea that all of your PVP victories WILL count and add to your total for the progression rewards sounds incredible and satisfying. Sounds like there would be a much bigger sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I can see why it would be different for someone whose been playing for two years and has a bajillion of every resource, but for someone in my position that actually sounds like a more fun game. But maybe I'm not totally understanding the concept.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    This actually sounds great. I hate PvE because the progression rewards take too long. I hate PvP because I keep getting attacked. PvP's rate of progression rewards without the knockback sounds like exactly how I want to play.

How can I make this happen?