Simulator 06 on a 3-star budget

CaptainFreaky
CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I was gonna post this in the event thread, but it's less populated.
So this is the PX/JG/Cyke wave.

I have XFW at a good level and all of the 3* - I tried with XFW/Loki/Daredevil - and wiped spectacularly. Twice. Tried a few other combos (including Hood, Cap) - no luck.

What's a good combination to attempt this one? I think DD is a good if he can get his Ambush & Billy Club out, but he gets crushed by Cyclops so easily. Which I why I paired him with Loki to attempt to keep enemy AP under control.

Is there a better combination? Again, I pretty much have all the 3* at a good level, so I can support pretty much any combo that would work on this level. I don't have too many 4* that are usable beyond XFW & maybe Fury.

I have always finished the "hard" simulator before, but this node is killing me.

Comments

• Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Hulk has been my hero this event so far.

I have had a good amount of success with Hulk, CStorm and Loki. keep an eye on the enemy AP and when you expect them to use an ability, try to get Hulk out front. I think with this team, it's tough since Hulk only tanks red. Thunderous Clap get powered up quite a bit

go for blue to power Wind Storm. Loki is really only there to steal AP, but Illusions can come in handy when the AI buries a tile in the corner.
  • I wiped several times on this node, so my scaling went down, but I wound up winning it with LCap, Doc Ock, and Moonstone, of all people.

Used LCap to try and stun/down Jean ASAP, while denying red for Cyclops. Cyclops popped yellow for mutant revolutionary, and countered with Moonstone using Photon Blast, taking him down. Liberal applications of Doc Ocks Green to keep characters stunned, and matching away tiles to get attack tiles, or using Moony to steal them. It was still close, but it worked out.

My team was 94 across the board, before the essential/feature boosts, so my levels may be lower than you're seeing.
  • CaptainFreaky
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    Hulk has been my hero this event so far.

I have had a good amount of success with Hulk, CStorm and Loki. keep an eye on the enemy AP and when you expect them to use an ability, try to get Hulk out front. I think with this team, it's tough since Hulk only tanks red. Thunderous Clap get powered up quite a bit

go for blue to power Wind Storm. Loki is really only there to steal AP, but Illusions can come in handy when the AI buries a tile in the corner.

Ok - I can try that - but won't Hulk's Rage just trigger 5 matches of Green which then triggers Jean's stupid match-5 retal?
  • CaptainFreaky
    Haetron wrote:
    I wiped several times on this node, so my scaling went down, but I wound up winning it with LCap, Doc Ock, and Moonstone, of all people.

Used LCap to try and stun/down Jean ASAP, while denying red for Cyclops. Cyclops popped yellow for mutant revolutionary, and countered with Moonstone using Photon Blast, taking him down. Liberal applications of Doc Ocks Green to keep characters stunned, and matching away tiles to get attack tiles, or using Moony to steal them. It was still close, but it worked out.

My team was 94 across the board, before the essential/feature boosts, so my levels may be lower than you're seeing.

Good suggestion - but yeah, mine are level 192/193...so it kinda sucks considering I only have one character above 166 and that's XFW at 188.
    And even though I've wiped multiple times, the enemy level's refuse to drop any - scaling has gotten outta hand.
  • CaptainFreaky
    Just tried twice more with Capt Marvel/Loki/CStorm. And wiped twice more.
    I was able to down JG and get Cyke close to down, but Prof X kept buffing the his stupid specials (including the ones I gave him from CMarvel's Back ability) and my Loki kept getting gunned down before I could use Mischief to steal the tiles back.

I am starting to really, really, really hate this node even more than the Tetris Ultron/SHulk/Loki node from two Gauntlets ago.

I guess next step is to simply WHALE it.
  • I don't have any max 3*. Most ar full covers though.

Cstorm, Loki, fist.

Lcap, kamala, mystique.

Those have both won 2 times each.

No matter what team you use, tread lightly until you knock Jean out.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hood beats everyone that's not Daken/Blade.
  • Just tried twice more with Capt Marvel/Loki/CStorm. And wiped twice more.
    I was able to down JG and get Cyke close to down, but Prof X kept buffing the his stupid specials (including the ones I gave him from CMarvel's Back ability) and my Loki kept getting gunned down before I could use Mischief to steal the tiles back.

I am starting to really, really, really hate this node even more than the Tetris Ultron/SHulk/Loki node from two Gauntlets ago.

I guess next step is to simply WHALE it.

Yeah, Loki isn't good because jean's aoe damage will shred him, and he doesn't touch attack tiles regardless. If you have Moonstone leveled and covered, this is why I recommend her for this fight. Deny Cyc Red and Black , while focusing on him, and when he fires his yellow, you should hopefully have the red to counter fire with Moon's Photon blast, and if that doesn't down him, you probably lost.

If TU fires or JG fires off an ability and spawns Prof X's tiles, use Moonstone Black to try and steal.

Have someone capable of tanking black/red if possible, and someone capable of throwing a stun, to help.

The key problem here? Having a max moonstone. I was converted into keeping one on my roster once she single handedly swayed the hardest gauntlet node for me.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2015
    Knocked em out first try with LCage/Loki/SW

No idea how I managed it.
  • CaptainFreaky
    Thanks everyone.
    I finally beat it with my old reliable combo of PATCH/LOKI + CMAGS. Once Patch goes Berserk and Loki starts moving tiles with Illusions and cleaning up the leftovers with Trickery, there's not much that can stand in their way. Using CMags Blue nuke boosted by Patch helped as well.

I think I had a mental block and was trying to only used the boosted characters - once I scrapped that and went to Patch & Cmags to pair with Loki, it was finally winnable.

Thanks again to all for the advice!
  • wgasadude
    wgasadude Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    I used the team suggested for that awful gauntlet node of xfdp, cage, fist:

Kk, shulk, hood

Keep getting green to heal and drain their ap. Use shulk red, hood black, hood yellow to trigger heal and do damage. If they get off a move use shulk blue to steal prof x tiles. Kk purple into green for shulk. Only used kk green when game was in hand.

Also worked nicely on the thing, xfdp, mstorm node. Just don't use aoe until xfdp is down. I targeted thing, xfdp and then mstorm.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Clops, Kamala and Cage, kill Prof X first, don't fire Kamala'a purple or Clops' yellow until he is down. Did it in one try.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hood, and whomever is buffed. On big nodes being able to deny AP is huge. You can steal all AP for dare devil if you want and pair him with Patch to use his purple as well. Mystique is buffed so if she has someone to generate AP has a big Nuke. IF Xforce combo is nice too but beware of the match 5's. I ran DD, hood, Xforce myself
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I used Punisher, Kamala and Steve. Punisher is there mostly to tank and heal up with his cheap powers if the match goes bad. Key is targeting Jean first, denying whatever combination dominates the board, purple/green or yellow/red. Jean should fall after your first nuke, either bash or Steve's red. Cyclops might bring Punisher down but by then you should be able to either use Kamala's purple/green again or Cap's red/blue. That should be enough to take control of the match. Sometimes the board would be full of blue and I was able to stun Jean early, others I would use Punisher's green and red early to get rid of Jean as fast as possible. So this team has good flexibility, only downsides are that you don't have a usable yellow and casting Kamala's purple against Jean is risky.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been clearing the hell out of the whole shebang with the X-Force/Daredevil/Loki combo (and having a blast because DD is fun to play) but I can see how you got tripped up. It isn't the most reliable setup and Jean Grey is kind of a landmine: Not so intimidating to look at, but one slip and your **** is grass. Lucky match-5's by the AI which trigger Chuck's Floating Head notwithstanding, the key is to get Ambush tiles on the board and use them to murderize your opponents. You kinda want Cyclops to use Sexy Butt because it makes those traps go boom that much more often. Getting Billy Club in play is a really nice thing as well. Get two on the board and you can stunlock your target!
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Loki hood patch - those 3 always works like a charm vs any difficult matchupa that dont spawn attack/strike tiles passivly. Rest were done with mystiq/IF and either XF or Cyce. And carnage on a node with doc oc - but that's mostly for **** and giggles. Full clear costs me 0-3 healing packs.