A lesson learned about transition?

Unknown
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I hope so. When I was going from 2* to 3* the gameplay and game system was telling me it will get easier when your roster gets more powerful (about five months ago). Just when I hit a good 3* roster, everything changed, and gameplay got worse BECAUSE my teams were better.

I stopped seeing 2* teams peppering PvE, and PvP went from a simple clear-up to a not-enjoyable grind of way more powerful enemies (200+ Juggs, for example).

Not we're being encouraged to head to 4* territory, and already I am seeing the same problem. 4* enemies now litter the matches, easily overpowering my 3* roster. I can't even finish the gauntlet because of a last match 250+ 4* match that kills me every time.

So the more I try and grind for a 4* roster, the easier this will become? No, it will get harder. So what is the point? I completely know that, in a year's time (if I can be arsed) my 4* roster will be utterly killed by a 5* enemy roster. At what point will having a strong roster actually make this game easy and enjoyable? About...never. Some want it very hard, others, like me, want a quick game on the train, or in an advert break, but MPQ is not heading that way. Shame, as it started out like that, then, in my opinion, went wrong. Sad.

Comments

• I think what you're saying effectively boils down to a complaint about no matter how big your fish is, there is always a bigger fish.

If the fish gets so big that it's one of the biggest, it's usually moved up to the next pond.

If there was no scaling on PvE you wouldn't be so worried about this, because you would see unmitigated reward for the growth of your fish. However because PvE is competitive and not actually PvE (i.e. not your fish's own private personal pond) there has to be scaling on PvE to neutralise the size of your fish.

Am I right?
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems almost as though what you would like OP is for all enemy teams to be 1* teams with no covers and then you can quickly wipe them out during an ad break.

Though MPQ seems like a casual game at first glance it is actually pretty deep and requires a fair amount of time and attention, and god knows it sometimes requires insane patience. If the game were easier you would stop playing BECAUSE it's easy, because everything given has no value.

I've been playing 2 months and am transitioning from 2* to 3 and get battered left and right in PVP. I've never broken the 800 points barrier on PVP and if I get near to even 600 I'm right back down in 20 mins. It's frustrating but the difficulty is what keeps people coming back.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been playing 2 months and am transitioning from 2* to 3 and get battered left and right in PVP. I've never broken the 800 points barrier on PVP and if I get near to even 600 I'm right back down in 20 mins. It's frustrating but the difficulty is what keeps people coming back.
    Trust me, for those of us who have been playing for 650+ days it's not difficulty that keeps us coming back.
    It's pure addiction and chasing after the next shiny 4* that will take us a year to cover.

It's a gigantic treadmill, and it's built so that you'll never feel a sense of progression - level scaling and MMR ensures that playing will always be painful.

Buying covers for the latest, greatest 4* will alleviate the pain, briefly, but as soon as the next Jean Grey or Iceman is released, you're back on the hamster wheel.
  • OneLastGambit
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Trust me, for those of us who have been playing for 650+ days it's not difficulty that keeps us coming back.
    It's pure addiction and chasing after the next shiny 4* that will take us a year to cover.

It's a gigantic treadmill, and it's built so that you'll never feel a sense of progression - level scaling and MMR ensures that playing will always be painful.

Buying covers for the latest, greatest 4* will alleviate the pain, briefly, but as soon as the next Jean Grey or Iceman is released, you're back on the hamster wheel.

Ha ha, completionist behaviour is a growing field of gamer manipulation used by the industry. It's what PS trophies and Xbox Gamer score are based on, the method by which you can continuously get players to keep playing your games long after the initial interest has worn off. This aspect actually formed the basis of my research for my degree
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ha ha, completionist behaviour is a growing field of gamer manipulation used by the industry. It's what PS trophies and Xbox Gamer score are based on, the method by which you can continuously get players to keep playing your games long after the initial interest has worn off. This aspect actually formed the basis of my research for my degree
    Guilty as charged.
    At least 50 games with 1K on my profile.
  • It seems almost as though what you would like OP is for all enemy teams to be 1* teams with no covers and then you can quickly wipe them out during an ad break.

Though MPQ seems like a casual game at first glance it is actually pretty deep and requires a fair amount of time and attention, and god knows it sometimes requires insane patience. If the game were easier you would stop playing BECAUSE it's easy, because everything given has no value.

your just exaggerating on your first point no one really wants to face level 1 roster, unless you are grinding for that 20 iso, this game seems to punish you for leveling your roster as it inches up the difficult leaving you to max your character covers first before moving forward which is counter intuitive.

The problem i see is that is difficult in the wrong places and we are stuck with the reward system. Story mode needs to decide if it wants to be challenging or grindy, it can't be both that where it runs into trouble. easy grind or hard and no grind. It is no fun to play if your losing each match or struggling in each. if there was a way to control build character this would be different as you can build a strong base team and go from there, but as it is now you need RNG luck to fall into a good team and need RNG and DDQ to fill out your roster. With a nearly full 3* roster DDQ is fairly easy but it was fun to play, even with the ninjas. it needs to have challenge in key places but not needed everywhere. It would be best if you could chose the challenge level cause sometimes you want a challenge other times you want an easy mode time waster.

to your last point, while your patience is strong being relatively new user, the frustration this game has cause over year and a 1/2 on and off i played has almost completely turned me off to this game at this point, each milestone i make just shows how far behind i am. The the constant challenge and the stress of carefully planning my day around this game turned me off. DDQ brought me back but now the 4* DDQ left me disappointed.
  • All good responses. Sure, I want some progression, but not with increased frustration. Today's awful 4* in DDQ is a case in point. I have a level 151 IW, but she can't beat a 270 quicksilver. The invisible tiles are fine, but I get killed by the second blue blast even when invisible. It is ridiculous.

This new add on is so bad, it is laughable, the only people truly benefitting are those with great 4* rosters anyway. My lvl 70 Nick Fury just looked sad when killed after the third round.

I don't want continually easy 1* matches, I'm not stupid. What I want is balance, where doing well in roster = doing well in gameplay. Sure, my roster can now get to 800 in PvP is I want, but higher? Creamed by 4* rosters. So I can't get the 4* covers. And I have a life, so hourly grinding on PvE vs hideous match ups is not feasible. To get the legendary tokens I would need to wake in the middle of the night to play. Bloody stupid.

So I will leave this game when frustRtion increases, and once deleted, I never return. Come on D3, show sense.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    The entire point of the IW node is that you don't let QS get to that second blue bang. As long as you manage the board properly, and barring nasty cascades, this is by far the easiest, most far 4* DDQ match-up yet, that can be done (and has been done) by IW's with a lot less levels than yours.

Also, nobody is 'grinding PvE hourly' for the legendary. Every pve so far has required 3 full clears at max point value if you have all essential characters. That's playing each node once every 8 hours, which doesn't take that much time out of your busy life if you want to speed up getting to the 4* tier.

Hitting 1k in pvp with L120+ featured + 2 maxed buffed 3* is quite possible as well, although it might require a shield, maybe two. How often you'll be able to get there depends on how deep 3* your roster is. Starting near the end of your time shard doesn't hurt either.

Overall, it sounds like you don't need to play harder, but you do need to play smarter.
  • OneLastGambit
    Heartburn wrote:
    It seems almost as though what you would like OP is for all enemy teams to be 1* teams with no covers and then you can quickly wipe them out during an ad break.

your just exaggerating on your first point no one really wants to face level 1 roster, unless you are grinding for that 20 iso, this game seems to punish you for leveling your roster as it inches up the difficult leaving you to max your character covers first before moving forward which is counter intuitive.

The problem i see is that is difficult in the wrong places and we are stuck with the reward system. Story mode needs to decide if it wants to be challenging or grindy, it can't be both that where it runs into trouble. easy grind or hard and no grind. It is no fun to play if your losing each match or struggling in each. if there was a way to control build character this would be different as you can build a strong base team and go from there, but as it is now you need RNG luck to fall into a good team and need RNG and DDQ to fill out your roster. With a nearly full 3* roster DDQ is fairly easy but it was fun to play, even with the ninjas. it needs to have challenge in key places but not needed everywhere. It would be best if you could chose the challenge level cause sometimes you want a challenge other times you want an easy mode time waster.

to your last point, while your patience is strong being relatively new user, the frustration this game has cause over year and a 1/2 on and off i played has almost completely turned me off to this game at this point, each milestone i make just shows how far behind i am. The the constant challenge and the stress of carefully planning my day around this game turned me off. DDQ brought me back but now the 4* DDQ left me disappointed.

Ha ha, my patience is almost a superpower, I've beaten three Ninja Gaiden games on hardest setting and I grind every PVE event for the Leg Token.

I do agree that the difficulty curve gets steep suddenly at times without warning and needs to be looked at little.
  • Ah screw it then. You know what? My job requires me to work hard, work smart etc. This is a bloody game, and when I started it was easy and fun, that's why I played it for so long. Now that it has begun to be hard work, it ceases to fulfill the essential criteria for a game (for me, clearly not for others).

This is my third go with a In-app purchase game, and all have gone the same way, development for dollars rather than player enjoyment.

Cheers all, this is no longer the game it was, so it's been deleted (with 16 maxed 3*). I hinestly just cannot be arsed anymore with these sort of games. Lesson learned indeed, never ever start a game that requires any money not paid up front.