Now I get why people hate the animations

Options
STOPTHIS
STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Last few minutes of Venom: Heroic I found myself in the top 10 overall and 9th the last sub, but even with 3 minutes left I knew I could be over taken. So, I replay the Carnage, Doc Ock, and Venom node with boost to speed up the match. After battling through Alien Instincts, Insult to Injury, Symbiote Snare, and the wave of attack titles I beat the node. My clock says 10:59, but my clock isn't the games clock and I guess I was a few seconds too late. Placed 11th overall and in the top 50 for the sub. Really **** infuriating.

I don't hate the animations, but when it's something that happens after every move we should have the option to turn it off. Or at the very least show it once a match and then have faith we'll understand what's going on without having to see the same Carnage jump at the screen animation every turn.

Comments

• Jack0fAllGames
    Jack0fAllGames Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options
    It's also time to remove the "flying" animation for attack tiles.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I found that when you finish a match in the final minute before the event ends, the score screen will say that the event has already ended, but your score actually gets counted. Seen it a few times in PvP.

But yeah, some animations are really annoying. I don't advocate turning off ALL animations, but abilities that activate passively regularly like Pheromone Rage, Alien Instinct, etc., shouldn't have such long animations. It really grinds on your patience.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wait until the Falcon PVP.. your feelings will change from hate into... something else... something darker.

Serious note, many suggestions have been made for a way to turn off animations. When the Q&A comes up next, make sure to post your request in the Q&A thread very early so it will be seen by as many people as possible.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Wait until the Falcon PVP.. your feelings will change from hate into... something else... something darker.

Serious note, many suggestions have been made for a way to turn off animations. When the Q&A comes up next, make sure to post your request in the Q&A thread very early so it will be seen by as many people as possible.

Many missed the days when Rags was king and you saw Thunderclap/Godlike Power EVERY.TINYKITTY.TURN
  • what's up with the one doombot goon that has that animation that I swear like stalls 5 seconds before it fires. Infuriating.

And yah anytime Carnage is with goons and keeps blasting those attack tiles every time they place a countdown- it took me like effing 6 tries to kill him before he had the place surrounded.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The problem with asking to be able to turn them off for speed is that it will make players with animation disabled inherently faster and more effective than those who haven't disabled it.

I think the more effective route is to point out specific over-long animations in Suggestions and Feedback that you think should be shortened for all players.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Its not so much that they're overly long, its just that certain ones happen too often and can really drag out a match. Falcons Inspiration & Redwing, Doc Ocks Insult to Injury and Carnage's Alien Instincts immediately come to mind. I think making these function more like Daken and 2* Bullseye passives, where it just quickly flashes a banner with the moves name, would go a long way towards easing the annoyance level of these skills
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    The problem with asking to be able to turn them off for speed is that it will make players with animation disabled inherently faster and more effective than those who haven't disabled it.

I think the more effective route is to point out specific over-long animations in Suggestions and Feedback that you think should be shortened for all players.

100%. I don't think they will ever implement something that will give an advantage to some users over others. They said before, (I think in a discussion about an optional enemy ap display that could be turned on and off) that they didn't want to create confusion with too many options. So I think it would have to be the same for everyone to have any chance of happening.

My recommendation would be to have the animation in full the first time and then just flash on the screen really fast after that. (I'd prefer it not show at all after the first time, but don't think they'll do that because of all the "ai is cheating" tickets they'd have to deal with. Don't kid yourself there are a lot of dummies out there who won't understand what's going on.)

So, that being said, who/which powers should be on the list?

Carnage - Alien Instincts
    Falcon - Inspiration, Redwing
    Blade - The Thirst
    Daken - Healing & Heat, Pheremone Rage
    Kamala - Bring Out the Best
    Patch - Healing Factor
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Loki's purple should resolved as fast as Hawkeye's.

Cage and Fist also slow things down.

SW slows things down as well, but also illustrates the danger of not having noticable animations. I've had match-5s ruined mid swipe by her blue tile popping up, giving me a match-3 I wouldn't have gone for.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:

I have. Several times. In the feedback forum. Over the past year.

Never so much as a "thanks for posting" or "we heard you".

These sorts of threads have existed since I joined forums. Not one have I seen a dev comment on them.

(btw @devs, several goon cd tiles have huge delays after hitting zero. Someone above said doombot. I know flamethrower is another. Even more annoying to me than the character animations is the dead space delay. )
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Options
    I think the devs take certain pride in some of these animations, to make their signature moves stand out. It seems like a big part of the game since I imagine they spend *some* amount of time developing them. They are hardly sophisticated, but you want to see them - at first.

So I think a good middle ground can be.

We see the animation of every character the FIRST time their move is triggered and then this is auto disabled for the remainder of the match.

Although I imagine this will be a very big step for them as it will drastically change the 'feel' of the game even if the animations are purely aesthetic.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    blinktag wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

I have. Several times. In the feedback forum. Over the past year.

Never so much as a "thanks for posting" or "we heard you".

These sorts of threads have existed since I joined forums. Not one have I seen a dev comment on them.

(btw @devs, several goon cd tiles have huge delays after hitting zero. Someone above said doombot. I know flamethrower is another. Even more annoying to me than the character animations is the dead space delay. )

Since I just read this 30 seconds ago in another thread, had to quote it here:
    IceIX wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:
    On a side note does this mean that the Suggestions and Feedback sub forum actually get read? https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30167 make it more polished than Adventure Time Puzzle Quest and I would pay at least £5-£10 for it.
    It most certainly does get read. We have a policy of "no touch" there though in terms of dev posting.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Options
    Another thing to note is that Spider-Man's purple passive does almost exactly the same thing as Dark Reign Bullseye's purple passive, but for some reason Bullseye's takes like a second more to resolve (which really add up in a match since Bullseye's activates on both friendly and enemy matches). That's the kind of thing that really need to be fixed.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

Why wait for another falcon pvp? I'm still waiting for the animations to stop from the last one.

Personally, I don't think turning off the animations will be the advantage people think. Everyone is at the same equal disadvantage with the animations now, so everyone would have the same equal advantage. It might save some sanity, but if you had that you wouldn't be grinding pve for 3 hours any way.

P.S. This reminded me of something I always forget, this game has sound.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Isay_Isay wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Many missed the days when Rags was king and you saw Thunderclap/Godlike Power EVERY.TINYKITTY.TURN

That and CMags.
    Hated the Hood/CMags fight anyway, but when his move cost 2 red and he did it every turn. Every. Single. Turn. It was maddening.
    It was like water torture, not even kidding. The psychology of it was that it actually got me really angry and usually made me lose the fight more often than not.

"OMG JUST STOP DOING THAT MOVE. AAARRRRGGGGGGH!"
    ddvrom wrote:
    what's up with the one doombot goon that has that animation that I swear like stalls 5 seconds before it fires. Infuriating.

Maybe you mean the flamethrower girl?
    Because I've complained about that since day one of playing. The countdown hits 0, it does the flamey animation...and then you wait an entire 3 seconds for it to actually explode and do anything.
  • ruinedcause
    Options
    What about the Flamethrower animation? It's an attack from the goon with the rocket launcher. The thing takes close to six seconds to resolve. Just hurry up and hit me already!!
  • Chrono_Tata
    Options
    Invisible Woman vs Quicksilver.

SUPERSONIC
    SUPERSONIC
    SUPERSONIC
    SUPERSONIC
    SUPERSONIC
    This was in my head the whole time I was playing that match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3nPLoODtGU
  • Billigoat
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:
    My recommendation would be to have the animation in full the first time and then just flash on the screen really fast after that.
    This is a great idea.