Cost of game.

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Can anyone explain to me why this particular puzzlequest game (unlike other d3publisher puzzlequest games) is waaaaay more expensive with less content? Galactrix had less bugs and cost way less than what i spent for this game already.

Comments

• This game doesn't cost anything.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    You chose to spend money. This game is free.
  • Never played Galactrix, but off the top of my head:

- Galactrix has been around since early 2009, vs this one coming out in the 4th quarter of 2013.
    - There's probably a much smaller budget avaliable (as I imagine franchise Marvel costs hit them hard)
    - Galactrix is avaliable on more than the phone, which means it had a much larger design team as well as profit capabilities (PSN, DS, and XBoX arcade)
    - It's the only D3 game that's online that also had the backing of Infinite Interactive (Who are the actual developers responsible for Puzzle Quest)

Remember: DEMIURGE develops this game, D3 are just the publishers and possibly distributors.
  • Telicis wrote:
    Never played Galactrix, but off the top of my head:

- Galactrix has been around since early 2009, vs this one coming out in the 4th quarter of 2013.
    - There's probably a much smaller budget avaliable (as I imagine franchise Marvel costs hit them hard)
    - Galactrix is avaliable on more than the phone, which means it had a much larger design team as well as profit capabilities (PSN, DS, and XBoX arcade)
    - It's the only D3 game that's online that also had the backing of Infinite Interactive (Who are the actual developers responsible for Puzzle Quest)

Remember: DEMIURGE develops this game, D3 are just the publishers and possibly distributors.

Great explanation. Marvel Puzzle Quest is free, so I don't really know what the OP is talking about.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Am under the impression that Demiurge does the coding and nothing else, they're listed as developers but am thinking they don't make the decisions.

D3 Publisher are the ones who acquired the Marvel license and as such it is their game and it is their vision we see. They are the ones that determine which path this game is headed, they are the ones making all the decisions, what gets added, when, who gets added and when. They set the prices for ISO-8, for HP, for packs, they shoulder the marketing costs, they handle all the customer support issues.

I believe just the programming part was outsourced to Demiurge, they just do what D3P tells them to.
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    I recall reading from one of the Demiurge guys that D3 gives them a pretty free hand -- they get to implement their vision, make changes they believe are in the best long-term interests of the game, etc. I suspect they do the bulk of design and development, whereas D3 does marketing, CS, etc.