MATH CHALLENGE - Boosted Levels Formula ?

So, I've been searching this for quite a while but still no luck. If you guys already have an answer, please let me know.

I'm interested in knowing the exact formulas used when boosting the characters. So far I know this...

There are basically four types of character boosts:

Weekly Boosted Characters (Minor Boost):
Every week there are two lists of boosted chars, one for PvP and one for PvE. Apparently both lists get the same boost. Comparing my chars, the boosted ratio (boosted level / original level) fluctuates between: 2* chars: 1.57 ~ 1.59. 3* chars: 1.37 ~ 1.39. 4* chars: 1.09 ~ 1.16.

Event Boosted Characters (Major Boost):
Every event (pvp AND pve) gets one or more boosted character. Boosted ratio do seem to change from PvP to PvE. The ratio is still never constant, tho. I divided the numbers into PvP boost and PvE boost.
PVP- The boosted ratio of 3* chars fluctuates around 1.74
PVE - Ratio fluctuates around: 2.8 for 2*s, 2.2 for 3*s and 1.8 for 4*s.

New Characters Boost (Huge Boost): I don't have much data on this, recently they have only been releasing 4* chars. But they seem to get the biggest boost, same ratio for both PvE and PvP. The boosted ratio of 4* chars fluctuates around 2.

So as you can see, I know pretty much nothing.

The variation of the ratios may seem pretty small, but they can make a big difference when deciding how far you can level a char for it to tank (or not tank) certain colors when boosted.

Since I play mostly PvE, I keep my chars soft capped and knowing those number will make a huge difference. For example: I was using Cage and Widow, both weekly boosted. When they are not boosted, my level 94 OBW can tank black for my Cage. But when they get boosted, Cage tanks black. That can make a huge difference for game strategies.

So that's the "challenge". If any of you math geniuses can crack the formulas for each boost (for each number os stars), that would be awesome. So far the closest I got was: level x phi - 2, for weekly boosted 2*s... but thats still not quite right (pretty lame, I know).

Oh well, doesnt hurt to try. Thanks already

Comments

• PVP & PVE New Characters
    4* ... +75 levels ... a 70 becomes a 145 ... a 270 becomes a 345
    3* ... +?? levels ... been so long since there was a new 3* I forgot what this buff was!
    2* ... N/A (so far)
    1* ... N/A (so far)

PVP Features
    4* ... nominally 40% ... an 86 becomes a 122 ... but a 270 becomes a 400 (almost 50%!)
    3* ... nominally 75% ... a 120 becomes a 210 ... a 166 becomes a 290
    2* ... N/A (so far?)
    1* ... N/A (so far?)

PVP & PVE Weekly Buffs
    4* ... nominally 30% ... a 150 becomes a 195 ... a 270 becomes a 350
    3* ... nominally 45% ... a 120 becomes a 174 ... a 166 becomes a 240
    2* ... nominally 60% ... a 52 becomes an 81 ... a 94 becomes an 150
    1* ... nominally 70% ... a 40 becomes a 69 ... a 50 becomes an 85

PVE Event buffs
    4* ... +90 levels ... a 70 becomes a 160 ... a 270 becomes a 360
    3* ... +74 levels ... 1 166 becomes a 240 ... I think! unable to verify at the moment.
    2* ... +56 levels ... a 75 becomes a 131 ... a 94 becomes a 150
    1* ... N/A (so far?)

... corrections happily accepted!

My 89 Doc Ock is 183 for this event, so +94? I'm pretty sure that my 104 3* essentials get boosted to 198, which is also +94, so seems to be consistent, but don't know how it changes as you go higher.

As far as weekly buffs for 3* go, it seems to increase as your levels go up. I've got a decent transitioning roster, so a good spread of data points to work with. 40 gets boosted to 45 (12.5%), 66 gets boosted to 85 (28.78%), 76 gets boosted to 101 (32.89%), 94's get boosted to 129 (37.23%), 104's get boosted to 144 (38.46%). Plotting gives something that looks vaguely like a logarithmic or nth root function. Hard to tell without better data though.
  • rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2015
    I did this awhile back.

Essentials are a direct amount:
    2* = +56
    3*= +94
    4*= +90

Weekly buffs is something like buffed level
    =1.55x-17 (very rounded) for star.pngstar.pngstar.png
    =1.374x-21 (again, very rounded) for star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png

Actual formulas are:
    1.5474x-16.848
    1.3737x-20.895

working on others.
  • hmm so apparently its a fixed boost for essentials and new chars, and a progressive %age boost for weekly boosts. is that correct?

also, does a boosted character inflicts the same damage as a normally leveled one? For example... If I have a low level Blade that gets boosted to level 150... Will he do the same tile damage as a normally leveled 150 Blade?

Thanks already for all the help guys. If anyone is interested in looking into it deeper, let me know so we can construct a data base.
  • also, this:
    What level should I level character X to?
    It might seem obvious to just level all your characters to 166, but leveling takes an intense amount of iso, and it turns out that you can still reap most of the benefits out of a character while spending a fraction of the iso, as leveling someone to 135 takes 60% of the iso needed to max someone out, and makes that character 80% as effective as its maxed counterpart, which is generally good enough for PvE and when the character is boosted for PvP. Here are some numbers that I recommend leveling 3* characters to (4*s are more complicated and I'll add that later maybe).

166 - The obvious one, level all your guys that you will constantly use in PvP / PvE.

For when you want your character to be a strong PvP defensive deterrent and usable in a PvE B team even when not boosted -
    137 - This gets your character above level 200 when major boosted in a PvP (which is a big defensive deterrent), and allows that character to tank for your 166 characters when it is minor boosted in a PvE. Level your guys that you use only when boosted that you DO want tanking for other characters (She-Hulk, etc) when they are featured.
    135 - This gets your character above level 200 when major boosted in a PvP (which is a big defensive deterrent), and allows OTHER 166 characters to tank for your character when it is minor boosted in a PvE. Level your guys that you use only when boosted that you do NOT want tanking for other characters (squishies like Mohawk, etc) when they are featured.

For when you want your character to be an okay defensive deterrent in PvP.
    118 - This gets your character to 178 when featured in a PvP, which is when they tank for a level 270 4*. This is important for say the Daredevil tournament, as it makes opposing X-Forces surgical strike hit purple, which is a terrible color to use.
    114 - Doesn't tank for a 270 4*.
    112 - This gets your character to 168 when featured in a PvP, which allows them to tank for your other 166 3*s.
    110 - 165 boosted, so doesn't tank for your other 3*s.

I know this isnt exactly meant for soft cappers... but for people who keep their best chars at level max, and manage the rest. Still, can someone confirm to me if this is still valid? Any variations since then that I should know about?
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Came hunting for this in hopes to determine if the boosted ranges changed post R91 (introduction of Champion levels). Seems not, but there may be a hard cap now on the maximum (especially for essentials and 4* - they seem lower after the patch.
  • alaeth wrote:
    Came hunting for this in hopes to determine if the boosted ranges changed post R91 (introduction of Champion levels). Seems not, but there may be a hard cap now on the maximum (especially for essentials and 4* - they seem lower after the patch.
    I don't think the boosts themselves changed any, but obviously their effects on match damage have changed since the match damage curves have all changed. So the "breakpoints" where different boosted/unboosted toons tank for other toons will be different. Would be cool to have a new post similar to what's posted above.