The right time to level up

Options
Ouroboros9999
Ouroboros9999 Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
edited October 2015 in Roster and Level Help
I've been holding off on raising my 3's rank till I had sufficient covers to make a difference, and to manage scaling in PvE. Today I got a Silver Surfer who starts at 255. I've heard that scaling is an average of your top 6(?) characters. I've been banking ISO and have about 750K. My roster link is below--is it wise to level up now or wait until more 3's are better rounded? I've been managing around 20 or higher in PvE which has been bringing in covers, but my PvP is stalled at around 600.

Comments

• amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't know that I have any answers for you, but I'm in a very similar spot to you (cover-wise, and other than the surfer, of course). The only big difference is that I've done one round of leveling up, so my main characters are 114-120 and I'm sitting on about half the ISO.

I don't think I'd recommend playing the surfer, though. I don't think he'll help you all that much in PvP, and would certainly raise your MMR (and even at my level - I can get to 800 with a lot of effort, I've beaten a 2* team with a surfer, both offensively and defensively. No whales were harmed in the process). And I'd be more than a little concerned about him raising your scaling in PvE, at least if you play him. I'd try keeping him out for at least one or two events, and see if your scaling goes whacko. If it does, then I guess break him out. Or is that, "break him in"? icon_e_wink.gif

I'm curious about the top-6 average you mention. I've been wondering where the base scaling comes from. My scaling certainly went up going from 94->120, but not to any crazy degree (except on the Meet Rocket & Groot second sub, the other day, that was almost all goon nodes. On my last clear, they hit 290 on the top node, but I attribute that to my "Ladies Night of Mayhem" anti-goon team of Scarlet Witch, Grey Suit Widow, and Jean Grey. They did four clears in immediate succession on one healing pack, despite that scaling; only one attack got through. More typical is to hit 170-190 on the top node).
  • I have no idea how you guys can hold off on leveling for so long. Don't you feel like you are just treading water in the game? Making no progress at all? Having lots of ISO is sweet, but playing with the same roster for so long would make me lose interest.

As far as the right time to level up, if you are playing PVP I would say all the time icon_e_smile.gif If you are just doing PVE and your current setup is working wonders and you are very competitive, then I don't see any reason to level up your guys (other than making progress).
  • I struggled with PvPs and Events when I didnt level up. I basically have a system now to level them characters up, but with a roster of over 55, it is hard. I still need over 200k to level everyone I have to what ever level they require, be it max level or just the next level up after a new cover. Its hard to level up characters once they require over 1200 iso for just one level and then they want under 2000 for one? I refuse to pay money for iso but to be honest, I have been playing for over a year and without paying, i still enjoy playing even tho it takes me forever to level people up.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Moved to Tips and Guides
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    barrok wrote:
    I have no idea how you guys can hold off on leveling for so long. Don't you feel like you are just treading water in the game? Making no progress at all?

I suppose it says something about where we are in the game, but I measure my progress by cover acquisition (generally around three per day), not level. I do get most of my stuff from PvE, though, where 120 is fine. It is a little frustrating in PvP, for sure. I've only managed to hit 800 once; usually I hit a wall around 650.

I'm thinking I'll level up once I fully cover some of my better three stars. So far, my only fully-covered ones are Gamora, Captain Marvel, and Psylocke. But I'm getting there; I've got thirteen more (I counted, last night, when a friend mentioned something about it) with ten or more. Hoping, too, that anniversary-related stuff will help.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    i am in a similar situation. I am holding a good number of characters at 120, but I have a metric ton of Iso I can use to level them up some more (nearly 730k).

what is considered the next 'soft cap' after 120? I held everyone at 94, then 114, now 120, only moving to the next soft cap when I could bring most of my 3*s at the same time.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    i am in a similar situation. I am holding a good number of characters at 120, but I have a metric ton of Iso I can use to level them up some more (nearly 730k).

what is considered the next 'soft cap' after 120? I held everyone at 94, then 114, now 120, only moving to the next soft cap when I could bring most of my 3*s at the same time.
    my next soft cap after 120 was 140. at that level, they boost to 200 which really helps in pvp. I have the top guys maxed and still have ~10+ solid/mid-level guys at 140.
  • I kept all of my 3-star characters at level 94 until I had enough covers to take 15 of them to level 104. I then waited until the worst-covered of those 15 could move up to level 114, and then I took the entire batch to 114. I am now waiting until the worst-covered can go beyond 120, and I will level them up again en masse. I currently have around 350k ISO and I'm just waiting for four of my characters to get another cover, taking them from 114 max to 127, and I'll take everyone to 120.

During this process, I have max-covered 2 characters, with 3-4 more one cover away. I also bank ISO during these transition periods. I do think that everything you lose in PVE by leveling you gain back in PVP, but I'm not willing to have a ton of poorly-covered characters at a high level. I will also not level crummy characters like Ragnarok or IM40 beyond 94 because it's just a waste of precious ISO.

With that said, I would definitely roster SS if you get him. Unlike the 1-off 4* covers we get, he's playable at inception. He's also the least rare he will ever be right now, since they're just going to keep adding 4 and 5*s to dilute the probability pool. Someday you may be begging for one last SS cover.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    moved to Roster and Level Help
  • Malcrof
    Options
    moved to Roster and Level Help
  • Ouroboros9999
    Ouroboros9999 Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So I bit the bullet and leveled up most of my best players. It helped me easily clean up last PvE, but scaling kicked in for As thick as thieves. Also PvP had me playing against much better players now, which kind of sucks. My progress has slowed there considerably, in Simulator and I couldn't make it to 400(my goal to get the 25 hero points) in Real McCoy PvP...although I did start late(45 min) and had few h-packs due to clearing nodes in PvE. It is nice to have those full stat boosts kick in though!

In hindsight, it might have been better to level them all evenly, but it's done now. Luckily I have some 3/4 covered so at least I'm close. If I continue as I have(59 covers in July, 113 covers in Aug, 79 covers in Sept). I should b solidly in 3* land soon.