Consideration for increasing 1* and 2* level cap

rollx
rollx Posts: 71 Match Maker
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello all. Now with the legendary tokens, 4*s are easier to obtain. With the 5* and 4*s ruling the game, this leaves the 1 and (partially) 2* characters in the dust. What if they were to increase the level cap of 1* and 2*s to go higher than they are, that way people attempting to make the transition from 1 to 2 to 3*s can be more competitive, at an ISO price.

For example, increase the cap on a fully covered Iron Man 1* to 85 rather than 50, and 2* cap to 120 rather than 94. What do you all think?

Maybe even increase the 3* cap to 188 as well? icon_razz.gif

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Imagine the Iso costs.. a new player would never be able to get a leg up!
  • rollx
    rollx Posts: 71 Match Maker
    It could be possible to balance how much it cost to get there, maybe lower the amount to get there, but increase the total cost of iso to reach the end?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    rollx wrote:
    With the 5* and 4*s ruling the game, this leaves the 1 and (partially) 2* characters in the dust.
    As it should be. Those characters serve a purpose. Sustained play among veterans shouldn't be one of them. You're supposed to reach a point where you DO leave them behind.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    rollx wrote:
    With the 5* and 4*s ruling the game, this leaves the 1 and (partially) 2* characters in the dust.
    As it should be. Those characters serve a purpose. Sustained play among veterans shouldn't be one of them. You're supposed to reach a point where you DO leave them behind.
    ...and then they became required essentials for pve, where 4*s are now introduced and where legendaries are most easily attained.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    ...and then they became required essentials for pve
    The purpose for that is so that we don't sell off all our 2*s, and thus stop spending on roster slots.

Seriously, except under rare circumstances, so you ever pay attention to who the 2* is on those essential nodes, or do you just ignore it and throw up fistbuster or something similar?
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    before they did that I'd much rather see them have 1* and 2* characters require no roster slot purchase. Only 3* and up
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    The purpose for that is so that we don't sell off all our 2*s, and thus stop spending on roster slots.

Seriously, except under rare circumstances, so you ever pay attention to who the 2* is on those essential nodes, or do you just ignore it and throw up fistbuster or something similar?
    I consider most all the 2*s I still have useful and when boosted, I can put some synergy around them to make them useful in the essential node. of course if it is one I don't have i'll be throwing a 1-cover in there and while my 2/2/3 hb is pretty sweet icon_e_wink.gif , fistclops or boosteds work then.
  • simonsez wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

I do, and Ive kept my 2* and leveled them to 94 to be prepared for those nodes, plus sometimes the 2* in question is useful over all for the PVP.

Keep in mind, not everyone is rolling around with Fistbusters, and an equal part in creating those 2* essentials was to help 2-3 transitioners place to earn 3 star covers. It helps put players on the "treadmill", as you unlock 2 star cover first pve, use the 2 star cover to earn the 3 star cover second pve, and then each event you proceed to use the previous event's earned 3 star essential to place and get the next 3 star. The 2 star essential inevitably gets filled by heroics/standards, and helps the player maintain on the treadmill to gain the 3 stars for their roster.

I mean, I'm not naïve, I'm sure it's driven up roster slot purchases, myself, I've now slotted all the active 2 stars and 3 stars, plus several earned 4 stars, because I'm loathe to ditch anyone I've invested ISO into leveling at this point. But its not just a play for more purchases, it actually affects the transition game quite a bit, making it much easier than it was previously, going off what I've heard from players playing before the 2 star essential node.

Edit: And I'd personally like to see level caps abolished, and characters given balance passes so their potency is equivalent to their rarity, but that's never going to happen, and it shouldn't. It's bad for the game design, and my reasons for wanting that is purely cosmetic/nostalgia for liking the 1-2 star versions of several characters better than their upgraded 3 star counterparts.