Winning vs losing in pvp

I'm getting really annoyed with pvp. Why is it that when someone attacks you and they win, you lose 30+ points, yet when they attack and YOU win, you only get 10 points? I know you're not supposed to get the progression rewards without really playing the game, but this gap in points is just too big - it's simply unfair this way

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    It used to be that the defensive win gain was equal to the points lost by the attacker. Apparently some exploited this by lining up their alliance buddies, starting a fight and then immediately retreating, thus feeding them points. To combat this the gain from defensive wins was reduced and the overall point value of the matches was increased to compensate.
  • Quebbster wrote:
    It used to be that the defensive win gain was equal to the points lost by the attacker. Apparently some exploited this by lining up their alliance buddies, starting a fight and then immediately retreating, thus feeding them points. To combat this the gain from defensive wins was reduced and the overall point value of the matches was increased to compensate.

That would explain something... still doesnt make it fair. Then again, the whole losing points system isnt fair. I still dont get why placement and progression rewards are linked in pvp. U should be able to get progression rewards, and losing shouldnt effect not winning them in my opinion
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mark 11995 wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

That would explain something... still doesnt make it fair. Then again, the whole losing points system isnt fair. I still dont get why placement and progression rewards are linked in pvp. U should be able to get progression rewards, and losing shouldnt effect not winning them in my opinion
    Problem is, if you didn't lose points then everyone could climb up to the top progression as long as they put the time in. That's not a good thing for the game's general health. Points loss is a way to make sure your position reflects your roster I believe.
  • Quebbster wrote:
    Mark 11995 wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

Problem is, if you didn't lose points then everyone could climb up to the top progression as long as they put the time in. That's not a good thing for the game's general health. Points loss is a way to make sure your position reflects your roster I believe.

True. But PvP the way it is now is no fun most of the time. It really needs some work. It's still a game, and i currently have no fun playing pvp.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you lose while playing, you lose very little in the way of points .. if you lose while the AI pretends to play you, the points you lose depend on the rank of the person defeating you.
  • greenglove
    greenglove Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    PVP is the single most annoying thing about the game. Unless I desire to shield almost constantly, I will lose 300 points in less than an hour. Something needs to be done about pvp. Unfortunately, I have to do it or I will get kicked from my alliance. Plus, the rewards are too good now. I think it ought to be easier in some way.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't mind losing points when I lose in a match I am playing. I mind losing points because I didn't change my line-up to a more defensive friendly line-up and I'm attacked repeatedly and without mercy while my back is turned.

They should alter is so that there are decent penalties for losing, like losing 10% of your total points for the sub for each loss, but not for being attacked and losing.

And keep the scaling in effect for point gain. If there is a harder team with more points, it should be worth more to win against you.

This would negate the current concept of shields, though. Maybe change what shields do and have it give you a one-time protection against point loss if you are challenging a potentially difficult opponent.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,395 Chairperson of the Boards
    got to love 30 to 50 pt loses but only 2 to 8 pts for wins
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:

That wouldn't actually be the case as people would hit roster walls that prevented further progression in an event and they could easily tweak the scores needed for progression awards if too many people were grinding to them.

In any case if somebody can put in enough time to grind their way through the progression rewards without placing highly is that a terrible thing in any case? The game's long term health is improved if people can readily improve their roster if they put in the time, rather than struggling to progress and losing interest in the game.