An attempt to modify Iceman.

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
This is a rough, rough, ROUGH-**** attempt to change a detail on Iceman that seems to creep people out. Specifically his eyes.

Now, I'm a self taught amateur artist. I think even saying amateur is bigging myself up too much. This was a quick 30 hour muck about to see if I could make his eyes less creepy. I had the idea going in that the black eyes were what put people off, and looking at images of him from various other artists they'd always seemed to give him white eyes. I figured that would be a good start.

Even then he still looked wrong and then I thought of possibly why. His eyebrows (or the shape where they'd be) are frowning...but his eyes are wide open. Last time I saw that was here.
http://cdn3.whatculture.com/wp-content/ ... mDafoe.jpg

Maybe not the look to go for.

So I messily lengthened his eyelids to narrow the eyes a little more. That actually seemed to help.
Just wondering what you guys think. Is this an improvement or did I just make it much, much worse =P

http://i.imgur.com/6wJGgM3.png

Comments

• Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Looks better!

My opinion...It's the realistic portrayal of his head that makes it creepy. It's a spot on depiction of a human head without hair masking it, they're quite large in real life. Look at some of the covers in the game, ( Fury, Cage, Bullseye ) and comics in general. You'll rarely see skulls wider than their jaw lines, unless they have hair. They should've taken the "28 year old actor plays part of High School all-star in upcoming movie" route when trying to depict his facial features.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Now I want a version with flaming red eyes. icon_lol.gif
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Somebody do one with pinkeye.
  • If they were going for the all new Bobby, they should have made him un-iced to match uniforms with Jean. Or at least his face or upper body.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoiSkT6BqlruT0Ly2KYZsFo3Y0l1dtP6OJlYcYbPM9suZvsBzJMw

That aside, young all new iceman was a poor choice. The spiked or wizard versions are way cooler, even the old 90s iceman with a defined adult body wouldn't be so bad in the full ice form (and a lot more blue ish).

Some pics to help:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT45iZ5S2TlIHRf8glOowEapVbrTmKuF_HZ4WX-nugJZqsusJ_1P7k-jFAbwA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3tePqKTjZtJZHtklzrq5kL0vde_2U02OxGOOuYMVC_iZidcIi3whDdtDCsg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh98KO2Lc8_rCyEFyK50xoi-kXenFPtIJZHBCm4CAUA4gqreQo
  • shatland
    shatland Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2015
    i'll play this game!!

icemantake2.jpg

liquified his skull so it wasn't so toddler-shaped, more of a teen/young adult shape now. also tried to define his muscles a little more with some dark lines, cuz, hey, that's what comic book artists do icon_e_smile.gif. also upped the contrast, put blue dots in his eyes. EDIT - also gave him some ears, because why doesn't he have ears?

still creepy as tiny kittens...

it's that smile. i tried changing his expression, but couldn't get it looking right cuz of his baby cheeks. needed to at least show a little teeth or something.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    I think the only real solution is swap his face with bagman
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    shatland wrote:
    still creepy as tiny kittens...

it's that smile. i tried changing his expression, but couldn't get it looking right cuz of his baby cheeks. needed to at least show a little teeth or something.
    Let's give him icicles for teeth, that will fit the theme.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    What we really need is a distinct Iceman.. one not so smooth and shiny and close to SS's art.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    i don't know - I think he should be MORE shiny. as it is, he looks more like SNOW-man than ICE-man.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a lot of things. The pointy fingers (****?), the chubbed out cheeks, the Gollum-esque pose, the insane grin, and the fact that he's staring directly at the viewer. The last bit is certainly the clincher. Not looking askance at the viewer in a nonconfrontational way, not staring off into the infinite, or head tipped down in invitation, as heroic poses require; no, he's locked square on. Not inviting, challenging.

The washed out color renders the poor lad lifeless.

And the blacked out eyes....Bobby Drake when iced over doesn't have always black eyes. The art style relies on line for fine detail. Some artists do show him with black eyes (clearer distinction with the older Iceman?), some artists go with "normal" irises and whites. Interpreting those squiggles as BLACK eyes in MPQ is a huge mistake.
    All-NewX-Men26YoungBobbyX-23_zpsd56623bb.png
    ice-man-derecha-viaja-al-pasado-junto-a-los-x-men-para-revelar-su-preferencia-sexual.jpg

That makes him look like a young Concrete with a touch of Groot...
  • Does the iceman art remind anyone of the little aliens in Galaxy Quest?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    shatland wrote:

Much better looking than mine.

And yeah, I came to that conclusion too. The smile is wrong. It's not natural to have that much of a smile naturally without the mouth opening to show teeth. Otherwise it's a fake grin. That's probably a big factor in it, the human mind interprets that as a fake, disingenuous grin and makes connections that he's not to be trusted.

I hadn't noticed the lack of ears either.

I know they were going for the look in the comic pages listed above, but I really dislike that art. The inking looks so lazily done like someone just used the magic wand tool in photoshop on top of the sketch lines and just said "Eh, that'll do" then slopped some basic colour work on top.
    He looks like he's made of a grimey liquid metal more than ice in those pages and the features are so vague and undefined.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    He has no ears so he looks like a 1950s alien. Or a real alien w no ears.
  • That's the "I'mma get you" smile. The one that freezes you place, as he slowly slides towards you, softly humming children lullabies, all the while imagining the fun you two are going to have as you play "Deliverance" together.

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif