Rhonda Rousey as Ms. Marvel.

Clintman
Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
This isn't a spoiler, just something I came across in my web surfing adventures.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-sty ... rt-2015188

She looks like she would make a badass Ms. Marvel.

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I can't see it. Physical enough? Yes. Name recognition? Yes. Acting chops? No. I saw her in Fast 7 and in Expendables 3 and I can't see building a movie around her, much less a franchise.

Now, Natalie Dormer on the other hand......she can act AND she looks like the comic character.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1796732/natalie-dormer-as-captain-marvel-marvel-executive-teases-casting/
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    ZeroKarma wrote:
    I can't see it. Physical enough? Yes. Name recognition? Yes. Acting chops? No. I saw her in Fast 7 and in Expendables 3 and I can't see building a movie around her, much less a franchise.

Now, Natalie Dormer on the other hand......she can act AND she looks like the comic character.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1796732/natalie-dormer-as-captain-marvel-marvel-executive-teases-casting/

you're right about the (lack of) acting skills, but let's be honest: she would be a much more believable miss marvel (considering the character's background), just like Gina Carano would have been a much more believable Wonder Woman (compared to Gal Gadot).

p.s.

Charlize Theron would be the real perfect choice - in the acting community - for Miss Marvel.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's Captain Marvel, to you.
  • ZeroKarma
    donietsche wrote:

you're right about the (lack of) acting skills, but let's be honest: she would be a much more believable miss marvel (considering the character's background), just like Gina Carano would have been a much more believable Wonder Woman (compared to Gal Gadot).

p.s.

Charlize Theron would be the real perfect choice - in the acting community - for Miss Marvel.

I could see Charlize Theron, but she is 40, and this is a role she may have to hold for 5+ years. I think they're looking for someone younger. Now whether that's fair considering the age of some of the guys in the roles is a different discussion.

I don't even want to comment on the casting choices they have made on some DC movies. Pretty questionable, like Fox's "fantastic" choices. They have a big miss for every big hit, but Marvel has been spot on so far. You could say that they could have done better in some roles, but at least they haven't made any glaring mistakes.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    This is one of those non-things. She was asked in an interview if she could play a super-hero, which one would it be, and she said Ms. Marvel. It's like when someone asked Mark Wahlberg if he could play Iron Man and he said yeah, I could play Iron Man and everyone said oh, Wahlberg wants to play Iron Man.

The current buzz is that Marvel is talking with Rebecca Ferguson from MI Rogue Nation for Carol Danvers.
  • donietsche
    DayvBang wrote:

not necessarily so.

Carol started off as Miss Marvel, only recently (after having been Binary) gained the status and the persona of Captain Marvel.
  • donietsche
    ZeroKarma wrote:
    donietsche wrote:

p.s.

I could see Charlize Theron, but she is 40, and this is a role she may have to hold for 5+ years. I think they're looking for someone younger. Now whether that's fair considering the age of some of the guys in the roles is a different discussion.

I don't even want to comment on the casting choices they have made on some DC movies. Pretty questionable, like Fox's "fantastic" choices. They have a big miss for every big hit, but Marvel has been spot on so far. You could say that they could have done better in some roles, but at least they haven't made any glaring mistakes.

Yes, the age factor for Charlize was something I was going to mention, and you're right: she could look the part for the first movie, but after that it would become quite tricky. The comparison with male actors is not completely fair, cause even Affleck would have been considered too old for the role (in Batman v Superman), if they didn't decide to bring on the screen an "older" (than usual*) batman.

*even though in the comics (at least pre-52), Batman is/was in his late 30s/early 40s.
  • ZeroKarma
    MojoWild wrote:
    This is one of those non-things. She was asked in an interview if she could play a super-hero, which one would it be, and she said Ms. Marvel. It's like when someone asked Mark Wahlberg if he could play Iron Man and he said yeah, I could play Iron Man and everyone said oh, Wahlberg wants to play Iron Man.

The current buzz is that Marvel is talking with Rebecca Ferguson from MI Rogue Nation for Carol Danvers.

I'd do that.

Umm....I mean, that would be an excellent casting selection. She pulled off that role really well. How many of those stunts did she do herself?

I'm not really familiar with Captain Marvel in the comics. Is she more of a Superman type? Like blowing people away with massive powers? (MPQ powers not withstanding) Or is she more finesse.
  • ZeroKarma
    donietsche wrote:
    ZeroKarma wrote:
    donietsche wrote:

p.s.

Yes, the age factor for Charlize was something I was going to mention, and you're right: she could look the part for the first movie, but after that it would become quite tricky. The comparison with male actors is not completely fair, cause even Affleck would have been considered too old for the role (in Batman v Superman), if they didn't decide to bring on the screen an "older" (than usual*) batman.

*even though in the comics (at least pre-52), Batman is/was in his late 30s/early 40s.

I'm interested to see how Affleck does in this. Hope he brings something different, but I still wish Bale was still a part of it. I think he was the most realistic guy they've had in there.

Think Affleck will give a shout out to Bluntman and Chronic? I can hear him and Kevin Smith arguing over their respective performances.
  • donietsche
    ZeroKarma wrote:
    donietsche wrote:
    ZeroKarma wrote:
    donietsche wrote:

p.s.

I'm interested to see how Affleck does in this. Hope he brings something different, but I still wish Bale was still a part of it. I think he was the most realistic guy they've had in there.

Think Affleck will give a shout out to Bluntman and Chronic? I can hear him and Kevin Smith arguing over their respective performances.

I really believe that Affleck will be the ultimate Bruce Wayne AND Batman, for a number of reasons. Including the fact that Affleck is a big fan of the character, and has the acting chops to portrait the duality of the character.

Unfortunately Affleck and Smith haven't been friends for a while.

It's a pity, cause K. Smith is the one who introduced Affleck to the bat cult! (but somewhat Smith has still some influence on the dude and/or the production around him: the idea for the voice modulator comes from K.Smith).
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    donietsche wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

not necessarily so.

Carol started off as Miss Marvel, only recently (after having been Binary) gained the status and the persona of Captain Marvel.
    She was never Miss Marvel. She started as Ms. Marvel (Miss and Ms. are not interchangeable), but has been Captain Marvel for three years now. With the Captain Marvel movie locking that identity in, she'll be the best known character to use that name in the public at large.
  • donietsche
    DayvBang wrote:
    donietsche wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

not necessarily so.

She was never Miss Marvel. She started as Ms. Marvel (Miss and Ms. are not interchangeable), but has been Captain Marvel for three years now. With the Captain Marvel movie locking that identity in, she'll be the best known character to use that name in the public at large.

oh, the hubris!!

ok, she started as ms. marvel; but she also has been ms. marvel... for a decade (at least until the infamous avengers annual: Rogue drains here powers and memories, etc. etc.). That without considering the fact that she took back that identity in the 90s or slightly later (for sure she was once again ms. marvel during the bendis era).

I get it that they probably want to make her story simpler, without having to introduce cap. marvel first. Hence, they will probably make her cap. marvel right from the start. It takes something away from her tale of formation, but it makes sense.

Anyway, in my book, the comic-lore comes first. So, being an old reader, for me Carol will always be Ms. Marvel (in my country, her original superhero name was changed into "miss marvel", so you will pardon me, sir).