PvP Defensive Wins again

irwando
irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Sitting at 1049 points, 2nd place in Divine Champs. Shield is going to expire with 2 hours 10 minutes or so left. So, I queue up an easy battle, put together my team (3Thor, Loki, Cap, all maxed), boost the heck out of it, and fight one match so I can put back the shield. Easily win in 1 minute. Lose 100 points, out of the top 5. Win one more match which should have put me back in top 5, only to lose 2 matches at the same time.

Now down to 11. Thanks again for the terrible PvP scoring system D3. Thanks again for a design and system that punishes for playing the game. Really awesome. It was awesome to think i might actually finally have a top 5 finish. Apparently not.

Bring on the posts about how I could have just shielded again, or if I was in a stronger alliance or whatever. The fact is the design of the game is that it is easy and common for you to lose more than you win even if you try to do everything right (strong team, boosts, shielding with a quick match so you can re-shield). It is a fundamentally bad design. I have paid money in the past for the game but at this point won't spend again. Enjoy.

Comments

• Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Thats what you get for being greedy
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Blahahah wrote:
    Thats what you get for being greedy
    I hardly see how losing 100 points after a single match is due to greed. Moreover, I don't see how this is a constructive comment.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    If you really got hit multiple times within one minute of unshielding, that's really bad luck. Or you actually have people in your bracket looking to snipe you. But yeah, this is why I hardly ever try to go for placement rewards anymore.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    If you really got hit multiple times within one minute of unshielding, that's really bad luck.
    Yeah, that's rather spectacular.

What did they even attack you with to kill maxed LCap, and maxed and boosted LThor, and Loki in one minute?
  • irwando wrote:
    Sitting at 1049 points, 2nd place in Divine Champs. Shield is going to expire with 2 hours 10 minutes or so left. So, I queue up an easy battle, put together my team (3Thor, Loki, Cap, all maxed), boost the heck out of it, and fight one match so I can put back the shield. Easily win in 1 minute. Lose 100 points, out of the top 5. Win one more match which should have put me back in top 5, only to lose 2 matches at the same time.

Now down to 11. Thanks again for the terrible PvP scoring system D3. Thanks again for a design and system that punishes for playing the game. Really awesome. It was awesome to think i might actually finally have a top 5 finish. Apparently not.

Bring on the posts about how I could have just shielded again, or if I was in a stronger alliance or whatever. The fact is the design of the game is that it is easy and common for you to lose more than you win even if you try to do everything right (strong team, boosts, shielding with a quick match so you can re-shield). It is a fundamentally bad design. I have paid money in the past for the game but at this point won't spend again. Enjoy.

I'm sorry about that bad experience... I really do feel your pain... Not that I've never lost so many points in pve because I prefer not to fight for 1000 pts, but I have lost 100-200 pts overnight before.

Once, I only needed one cover for Gamora to complete here and was in top 100. In the last 15 min I got attacked a good five times and wasn't able to make them back, ending at like top 5,000 or something (exaggerating btw lol).

Just know, you're not the only one and sometimes it helps to be reassured of that. Maybe take a break and then come back, I found that helped me when I was thinking of quitting.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    What happened is the person in first wanted first and was watching your shield. Then they had alliance members or friends attack you soon as you unshielded.

It's something you can only really overcome by being in strong alliances or communicating with that player or not being that close at the end.

I don't think it was random, you were shielded and boosted and likely had a fast match.

It happens a lot.

I noticed the posted above mentions it as one of the possible causes. Look at alliances next time and see. It could be allied alliances or friends in various alliances however.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    nwman wrote:
    What happened is the person in first wanted first and was watching your shield. Then they had alliance members or friends attack you soon as you unshielded.

It's something you can only really overcome by being in strong alliances or communicating with that player or not being that close at the end.

I don't think it was random, you were shielded and boosted and likely had a fast match.

It happens a lot.

I noticed the posted above mentions it as one of the possible causes. Look at alliances next time and see. It could be allied alliances or friends in various alliances however.

I can't see that being the case. If the OP was really out for 1 minute, there is no way that there was that sort of coordination to get multiple teammates to take him out unless they were watching him like a hawk and had him in queue in advance. It's hard to kill that, or most boosted teams in 1 minute flat even with a strong team, much less add in people noticing he dropped shield, communicating to everyone else, cycling through their queues and winning in, what, 30 seconds left?

Seems more likely that people had started fights or retals BEFORE he dropped the shield and that hop landed right in the middle of it. Or the fight took more than a minute and he jumped at a time everyone else was jumping.

Bad timing, not a conspiracy. It was offseason.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    If I would have seen that team and worth that many points I would have been all over it too.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    ZeroKarma wrote:
    I can't see that being the case. If the OP was really out for 1 minute, there is no way that there was that sort of coordination to get multiple teammates to take him out unless they were watching him like a hawk and had him in queue in advance. It's hard to kill that, or most boosted teams in 1 minute flat even with a strong team, much less add in people noticing he dropped shield, communicating to everyone else, cycling through their queues and winning in, what, 30 seconds left?

Seems more likely that people had started fights or retals BEFORE he dropped the shield and that hop landed right in the middle of it. Or the fight took more than a minute and he jumped at a time everyone else was jumping.

Bad timing, not a conspiracy. It was offseason.
    Off-season still has a 4-star cover at the top 1 position. Iirc, Divine Champions offered a Prof X cover, which is pretty attractive.

Anyway, we're taking the OP's word that the match took one minute, although I'm not too convinced. Thor/Cap/Loki isn't a fast team and the match certainly could have taken a bit longer. Sniping is definitely possible. The snipers likely had the OP queued already, and just waiting for spotters to give the go signal to hit him once he unshields.

I've been sniped before when I was at #2 and one match away from taking the #1 spot from someone in a top alliance. Was easy to tell since all the people who hit me during that 1-match shield break were all from the same alliance. I'm not even salty, since I'd be doing the same thing if I were in their shoes lol.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    What does any of this have to do with your subject header, defensive wins?