Standard Tokens

Nate7671
Nate7671 Posts: 47
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello All

Just had a quick question. I'm currently in the long grind of 2*--> 3*. I have a few covers for a bunch of 3* but not really close to a full dedicated team I could use. I get a few 3* a week from DDQ and some events but its inconsistent. I don't really see an opportunity to level up in the near future without some additional 3 covers.

Right now I am sitting on about 400k in ISO with not much to spend them on. Would it make any sense to buy a bunch of standard tokens (lets say 100k worth) to try and get some more 3 covers? Worst case scenario I would get 250 cards (500-100 for 1*), but suspect would get closer to 300 given the 2* return.

Am I just being impatient or is this a valid strategy?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• My suggestion is to just play PVEs/PVPs and grind for special and standard tokens that way, you'll eventually regret dumping iso on standards.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not worth the investment as you'll need that iso to level them. The only time I've spent Iso on standard tokens is when I open 75-100 and did not open a 3*s so normally after a few more tokens one will pop but that's not too often.

With that said, keep saving, its worth it to be patient. My fellow alliance Commander use to waste his Iso and HP on tokens. He also sold 4*s to make room for new 3*s. So while he got more 3*s before me at first, now he has no roster slots and they're low level cause he spent everything! In conclusion, he's been angry the past few weeks icon_lol.gif
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's entirely possible to spend 100k on standards and get zero gold covers. Odds are you'd probably get 4-5 (based on my experience, they don't give odds on standards). Don't do it! I was in your shoes not too long ago, I had 500k iso and felt like I had nothing to spend it on since none of my 3s were worth much. You're about to hit a tipping point where the 3s will come much easier, once that happens you'll need every bit of that iso.

Save that iso, bring up the good 3s as you can to around 100, then 110, then 120 as a group.

Join a good alliance if you haven't already. PVE alliances are better for your roster level. PVE is a grind, but you can do it and place well if you take the time. Placement covers plus alliance covers plus daily hp for top 50 plus daily event tokens plus daily alliance event tokens will take you very far, much faster than you think.

Play every pvp, no matter how frustrating it seems. Just try to get as high as you can. You prob can't hit 800 yet, but if you can get to 650 that's two tokens per event plus some hp and iso.
  • Thanks for the feedback so far- seems to confirm the old adage "Patience is a virtue" icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Yep -- hold on to the ISO. I was at a point in the transition where I was flooded with unusable ISO and wished I had something to do with it.

After a couple of months, it was all gone, and I'm starved for more.

So hang on to it. You'll be able to quickly level up a couple of 3*s when you get sufficient covers for them to be useful, and things will improve from there.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    As a guy currently holding 624 standard covers, I can confirm that they are very easy to obtain, as long as you do the pve events and clear out the nodes. Each repeatable node usually offers 4 rewards, and the standard cover is one of them. I do every pve and that's how I accumulate so many tokens.

That said, I echo the other posters in advising you to hold on to your iso. Once you start getting 3* covers, you'll see how much iso you really need to level your expanding roster.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    have not gotten a 3* from a standard in awhile. not sure if they reduced the percentages or if i'm just in a dry spell. at any rate, standards are so common, it's not worth using your iso.