PvP Perspective

GrumpySmurf1002
GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
If you don't have receive the MPQ newsletter, well that's probably fine. But I do, and this one had an interesting tidbit:
Each week we will share a fun fact from Marvel Puzzle Quest that you may or maybe not want to know. This week, the fun fact is...

In the first four Versus Tournaments in Season XVIII, a whopping average of 19,877,387 points were scored per tournament with an average of 233 points per player. Did you fall above or below this average? (Points are from Blind Justice, Vision, Teenage Riot, and Close Air Support)

So first off, that gives an estimate (because I'm sure 233 is rounded) of the number of PvP players: 85310.

Secondly, the top 100 alliances in season 18 averaged 242152 for the season. Assuming 2000 sim average (those at 4k offsetting those lower), that puts the average top 100 score around 20215, or 2021500 total points per event.

That makes ~2.35% of the player base (2000 players) account for 10% of the scoring.

Last thing of note (to me) is the average player gets a 2* cover and some iso from PvP.

Figured all of that's worthy of a discussion.

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow, 233 is really low as an average. Did not expect that. For every player who hits 1k, 4 players have to do 1 seed fight and stop. That's quite something.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    This goes to show how much of the player base has given up on PVP because they don't think they can compete for the 3* covers. As much as PVP helped me to transition to 3* land when I started a huge population of the player base no longer feels this way.
    Here is an interesting question for 2* and 2-3* transition players. With a legendary token now in PVE progression how will that effect your ability to earn 3*? A lot of players who were in 3* or 3-4* only played PVE for new 4*, and now they might start playing PVE for that legendary token. This is good for me personally, but now 4* transition players will be taking more covers away from those who need it.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    I believe it. This game doesn't explain **** and when I was a noob, I didn't know what the point of nodes outside of prologue was. So every once in a while I'd randomly pick node to play, but then I'd set it down shortly after. I was a 2* player by the time I figured out what was actually going on.

I don't know if this still happens, but when I was playing with 2*'s, I absolutely could not even win the standard token at 300. A wall of 166's after ~250 points.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Considering some skip the first few tournaments of the season, that number may not be completely accurate. Would be interesting to see the numbers for the last half of the season too.
    I'm also interested in what the median score was as opposed to the mean.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    You're assuming that everyone plays like you i.e. read the forums, check the wiki, do things "optimally."

Lots are probably just playing a match here and there while they wait for the subway or something. "Endgame" players in any game generally account for a tiny percentage of the playerbase.
  • Now, most PVPs note that 16K+ alliances participated. So 70% or more of the participating alliances were putting up <1000pts as a whole. Wow.

Just checked my alliance's score for last PvP Divine Champions.

...Of which I contributed 523. I should probably move to a better alliance. There's got to be one that nets me some rewards without being too high pressure.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Grantosium wrote:
    Now, most PVPs note that 16K+ alliances participated. So 70% or more of the participating alliances were putting up <1000pts as a whole. Wow.

Just checked my alliance's score for last PvP Divine Champions.

...Of which I contributed 523. I should probably move to a better alliance. There's got to be one that nets me some rewards without being too high pressure.

You're not going to find a T100 Alliance with only a 500 score.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    no, but I bet he could find a better one than he's in icon_e_wink.gif
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Forumites underestimate how many casual players there are.

Several Facebook friends, who I don't really talk to, have had 2* rosters for over a year. Yet they still play every once in a while.

And 2* Captain America was the most popular hero for a long long time. (still might be?)
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    scottee wrote:

Several Facebook friends, who I don't really talk to, have had 2* rosters for over a year. Yet they still play every once in a while.

And 2* Captain America was the most popular hero for a long long time. (still might be?)
    Still definitely in the top 10.

• You're not going to find a T100 Alliance with only a 500 score.
    Probably true.

However it's also true that I could have shielded at 800.

And it appears to be true that the X-men 3 minimum score is advertised as 750 on their alliance thread.

And it appears that I have 'found' a better alliance since posting above, where I suspect I will be very happy!
  • IceIX wrote:
    scottee wrote:

That's amazing, because I wouldn't even put him in the top 5 of 2 stars alone.
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Haetron wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    scottee wrote:

That's amazing, because I wouldn't even put him in the top 5 of 2 stars alone.

He's still amazing in Goon nodes, he's a great support character in 2* land, he just can't carry a match by himself like Lcap can. He was my MVP in the 1st Ultron event before my Lcap had enough covers.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    very niche character. my lcap was up to about 9 covers for ultron 1 and I had just sold off my 2cap for a roster slot for a new character and I really regretted it. he would have come in very handy. doesn't do much damage, sure. but sometimes you're just going for board/cd control and he's just as good as lcap is in that regard, just without the damage and protects to go along with it so you have to find your damage elsewhere.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    You guys are still thinking like forumites. Not everyone picks characters by who is the most effective. TONS of people use who they like, or whose abilities they see as fun.
  • scottee wrote:
    You guys are still thinking like forumites. Not everyone picks characters by who is the most effective. TONS of people use who they like, or whose abilities they see as fun.

This is absolutely true, as well. One friend of mine was baffled that 3Steve was better than 2Steve, because he identified more with 2Steve's costume.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also wonder if these are divided by ALL players whether they played each event of not. For instance, on my alt account, I think I played in one or two of those 5 events, but put up like 400 in one event and 100 in another. So my 500 points over 5 events is just 100 per event, even though my "actual" average was maybe more like 250.