Idea: Make Legendaries a Vault

Raffoon
Raffoon Posts: 884
Here's an idea: make the legendary tokens connect to a 20-25 token vault that has 1 5* in it (2 after the next 5*is released).

The developers have stated that 5*s are supposed to be a sort of end game progression. At that number of covers in the vault, a legendary token could almost act as a point of "XP", so to speak, for a player's long term goal of covering a 5* if they chose to save. Once you collect 20 tokens, you can turn them in for a guaranteed a 5* cover if you choose to wait that long.

I think this would be better than the current completely random system, because I worry about those poor suckers that just have terrible luck. In the current non-vault token system, over the course of 100 legendary tokens, most people will draw 5 covers, a few will be really lucky and draw 10 covers, and just as many will draw 1 or even 0 covers. The same number of legendary tokens could give one set of people 0 legendary covers and another set of people 10 covers, or, heck a maxed SS is even possible for a very lucky few with 100 tokens.

If someone gets that unlucky, with a vault system then at least they could have a long-term option to fight their poor luck. As it stands now, someone could theoretically never draw a silver surfer ever. Ever.

Edit: Also, a short vault timer such as a week or less would probably be best for this to help mitigate the risk of getting stuck with a vault that you don't need.

Mod Edit: Moved to Suggestions
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    I like the vault Idea, but think it should probably be a season vault. As rare as the legendary tokens are, refresh on a week would lead to hoarding. getting 1 or 2 pulls a week would not really change anything from what it is, other than the animation. Personally, I'm incapable of hoarding tokens, even standard.
    Also, while we all love the vault, their purpose is that the vault leads to more people purchasing tokens, because they see one they want, and have a better chance at it. Not so much with un-purchasable legendary tokens.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are all of the other items in the vault 4* covers? It would suck to blow a legendary token and get a glob of ISO for the effort.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    Are all of the other items in the vault 4* covers? It would suck to blow a legendary token and get a glob of ISO for the effort.
    completely agree. if they put iso in a legendary vault, it should be 50K minimum. I think its unfortunate that they put 4 stars on the 10K iso in the ddq vault - that can be had on any Wednesday out there very easily. if they put hp in a legendary vault, to me it should be 2500. to me that would be a 4.5 star level. don't replace a 5* slot with it, but it sure is better than a random starlord or IW pull.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    I'd rather it not be a vault because if I run into a situation where there are too many covers left that I don't need, I'll have to pay HP to reset the vault or wait before I can use my tokens.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hoarding 20 tokens (which I'll likely do anyway while waiting for Iceman to hit), I'd personally rather the 7.5% of 2+ Surfers (and still ~64% for one) than 100% for one.

If I wait for the next 5* (presuming one of each is available in the vault), it's 100% for one of each, or ~32% for more than that. (though 39% for less than that).

I'd personally rather roll the dice on accelerating the timeline than have a static picture. But I like gambling.
  • rossmon
    imagine if they put a "pick a cover" token out there. Use this to add a cover to any character (4* and below) and put one of those in the vault. It'd be the equivalent value of 2500 hp, but I wouldn't feel bad using it. Even awarded 2500Hp, I'm not sure I could buy a cover with it.
  • Killinstinct
    Killinstinct Posts: 99 Match Maker
    No, unless it would never reset, it would make me hoard to guarentee get a 5 star, which means i cant use the tokens soon (but i need those 4 stars)
  • Interesting idea. Just so you know, with a decently intelligent pulling strategy here are the rates you would draw 5*'s

2 covers for 5* characters with vault size:
    20 : 1 every ~6.36 tokens (15.7%)
    25 : 1 every ~7.84 tokens (12.75%)
    30 : 1 every ~9.36 tokens (10.7%)
    35 : 1 every ~10.84 tokens (9.22%)
    40 : 1 every ~12.36 tokens (8.09%)

So I can see people wanting the 2/25 or 2/30 vault -- it allows players who have progressed enough and can horde to have slightly better odds than 10% and foresight as to what 5* cover they can expect.

However, I've always been a fan of the PRNGods (praise be their cruel but just decisions) so I'd really be fine either way. And 10% is still pretty high. So is the vault request just as a security blanket?

If that is the case I vote for the 2/40 vault. If you don't trust the PRNG then you can have worse odds but a guarenteed success -- plus you get to see what cover, so maybe it is even better for you!

Edit : The 2/35 and 2/40 vaults would mean that you should be allowed to use the token to open the vault or to just open the token. Just as a clarification.
  • rossmon
    What if it were a small vault (maybe 9), that never expired. Might not have 5*. Use a token to pull, or use a token to refresh the vault.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:
    Here's an idea: make the legendary tokens connect to a 20-25 token vault
    What happens if none of the 4s I need end up among the 20 or so 4s that are in the vault? That'd be way worse than what we have now. If you were to say the 4s in the vault would be colorless covers, and there'd be one for each character, then that'd be great.
  • Raffoon
    simonsez wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:
    Here's an idea: make the legendary tokens connect to a 20-25 token vault
    What happens if none of the 4s I need end up among the 20 or so 4s that are in the vault? That'd be way worse than what we have now. If you were to say the 4s in the vault would be colorless covers, and there'd be one for each character, then that'd be great.

If you don't like any of the covers that you see, then you wait 5 days (Or some other short amount of time) until there are tokens that you do need . You use the additional knowledge about what you might draw to help you draw what you want.

If you're drawing 20 tokens from a completely random distribution, you might not draw any that you want either.

At least with the vault you have the option to look at what the possibilities you might draw are and choose NOT to draw until you like those possibilities.

It's a huge positive to the players, and actually allows you to guide your cover draws towards things that will be beneficial to your own roster.

Yes, I agree colorless covers would be awesome too. Maybe they could make some of the 4*s in the vault colorless too, that would definitely help solve the problem that you mentioned.

I think the vault and colorless covers would both, or individually, address some of the same issues.

Would a colorless 5* token exist? One nice aspect of the vault idea is that it allows you to guarantee 5* progress, so you can avoid being screwed by terrible draw luck. It's possible to open 100 Legendary tokens and never get a single 5*. Is that a good outcome for the player that happens to? Why not include a way to prevent this?
  • Looks like the second time this idea has been posted and moved to suggestions in less than a day.

Is it that hard for people to put their suggestions in a sub-forum marked 'suggestions'?

Imagining the devs perspective, a 20-25 item vault is potentially too easy for us to manipulate. 100 item is probably more reasonable.
  • Raffoon
    Grantosium wrote:
    Looks like the second time this idea has been posted and moved to suggestions in less than a day.

Is it that hard for people to put their suggestions in a sub-forum marked 'suggestions'?

Imagining the devs perspective, a 20-25 item vault is potentially too easy for us to manipulate. 100 item is probably more reasonable.

Except that the traffic to that forum is a fraction of the traffic to General discussion. When you want an idea to be discussed, you put it in the General Forum that everyone reads.

When you want it to sit in a corner and have no one look at it, you post it in Suggestions.