New Off Season PVP Possibilities. (without gender-discrim.)

turul
turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
If there is Womens (buffed) only PVP, let there be Mans only too!

Mod Note: Changed topic name to more accurately reflect the content

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aren't most PvPs sausage fests anyway?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they ran "Men of Marvel", I'd still get sick of fighting level 270 Jean Grey.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,578 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:

I don't know if you're joking or not, but this illustrates a great point so I'm going to address it anyway.

If we count only 3* and 4*s (I'm picking this as I have the numbers handy,) "Women of Marvel" buffed 14 out of 56 characters - that's not 51% (the percentage of women to men,) nor 50% (a proportion that could be considered fair.) It's 25%. A quarter of these charactrs are female. The remaining 3/4s are male (or "other," like the Vision or Rocket and Groot, but still look male.)

I read a great blog post a while back regarding "women only" tournaments in Western Martial Arts (swordfighting, basically.) The upshot of it was while it would be great to not need women's only tournaments, at this time they serve a purpose and are useful. Men dominate the normal tournaments, so they don't need a "men's only" tournament at all. Heck, a good number of them only have men anyway. This is basically the same thing.

Sure, it's sexist by the textbook definition (discriminatory against one sex or the other,) but it buffs a smaller segment of the character population and highlights these characters. There is no damage in this "sexism" and the event serves a useful purpose.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought this was going to be a thread about all the butt poses lately...
  • turul
    I guess it's OK then to make PVP's:

Afro(american) buffed
    Bald man buffed
    Jewish buffed
    Atheist buffed
    not serious.
    My only problem with womens of marvel is it buffs the same heroes over and over, not letting other combination of characters to shine.
    GrimSkald wrote:
    turul wrote:

I don't know if you're joking or not, but this illustrates a great point so I'm going to address it anyway.

If we count only 3* and 4*s (I'm picking this as I have the numbers handy,) "Women of Marvel" buffed 14 out of 56 characters - that's not 51% (the percentage of women to men,) nor 50% (a proportion that could be considered fair.) It's 25%. A quarter of these charactrs are female. The remaining 3/4s are male (or "other," like the Vision or Rocket and Groot, but still look male.)

I read a great blog post a while back regarding "women only" tournaments in Western Martial Arts (swordfighting, basically.) The upshot of it was while it would be great to not need women's only tournaments, at this time they serve a purpose and are useful. Men dominate the normal tournaments, so they don't need a "men's only" tournament at all. Heck, a good number of them only have men anyway. This is basically the same thing.

Sure, it's sexist by the textbook definition (discriminatory against one sex or the other,) but it buffs a smaller segment of the character population and highlights these characters. There is no damage in this "sexism" and the event serves a useful purpose.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    im sick of that gender bla bla.
    these are pixels, they have no gender

stop gendering every single TinyKitty.

Moderator edit: please do not evade the profanity filter. If you have to censor your language, you're better off just using more polite words.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    ammenell wrote:
    im sick of that gender bla bla.
    these are pixels, they have no gender

stop gendering every single sh*t.
    Where's the downvote button? Oh right...
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Women of Marvel PVP was created during the International Women s Day (week?) as a special event to celebrate women.

As far as a men's buffed PVP.. that would buff most of the game at once.. so pretty much BoP.

I do think there are now enough characters in the game to create a couple new fun off-season PVP's though. Maybe we should pitch some serious ones.. get the creative juices flowing!
  • turul
    turul wrote:

There were womans only pvp even earlier (man werent even playable).

First iteration had very limited selection - Storm, Widow, Moonstone, Yelena, Yelena
  • Malcrof wrote:
    I do think there are now enough characters in the game to create a couple new fun off-season PVP's though. Maybe we should pitch some serious ones.. get the creative juices flowing!

Possibly better off in a new thread though unless you use mod powers to change the title of this one?

For reference, current PvPs in this category listed on the events sub forum
    Multiple buffs:

Balance Of Power – All characters buffed to 270 regardless of levels or covers

Black Vortex – Guardians of the Galaxy buffed, Captain Marvel, Beast

Children Of The Atom – Mutant Heroes buffed.

Combined Arms – Make a team with a 1,2,3*. All get buffs.

Divine Champions – Ares, Loki, Ragnarok, Storms, Thors buffed.

Earth's Mightiest – Avengers buffed

Nefarious Foes – Villains Buffed

No Holds Barred - Generally pay HP for admission, no buffs to any characters, bring your best team.

Women Of Marvel – All female characters buffed

I think an FF buffed week is an obvious addition to make to this now!
    icon_mrfantastic.pngicon_invisiblewoman.pngicon_thing.pngicon_humantorch.png ( icon_shehulk.pngicon_spiderman.png ?)

Probably we'll get a Jessica Jones character around November, when a Netflix/Street-level/Heroes for Hire/Defenders type themed PvP could become a legitimate possibility.
    icon_lukecage.pngicon_ironfist.png ( icon_daredevil.png )

What about a colour alignment PvP. eg. All purpleflag.png users boosted? (Not going to list purple users as it's got to be almost half the characters)

Over 30s? Under 20s? A bit nebulous as ages are rarely confirmed in comics but some guesswork could be used and alows for creative licence.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Bald and the Beautiful would be a fun one.. only Bald characters.

What i really want to see, is a Marvel: Civil War based PVP event.

Also, a Mirror Match, whoever you bring to the fight, the opponent also brings.. regardless of who you leave on defense. If the person does not have one of the characters you are using, they are auto(free) skipped.
  • Are we counting Vision as Bald and Beautiful?
    icon_professorx.pngicon_lukecage.pngicon_nickfury.pngicon_silversurfer.pngicon_kingpin.png
    Can't remember if icon_bullseye.png fits this or not under his hood or whether that's just the movie version I'm thinking of. Have I missed anyone else?

The mirror match could be painful! Anyone who has handful of 1 cover 3 stars that they have just started building is dead in the water! Definitely fun as an alternative though, would play for certain.
  • turul
    Great! Women need handicap PVP again!
  • Dayv
    turul wrote:
    Great! Women need handicap PVP again!
    Man, let it go already. It's a fun PVP event with an interesting mix of boosted characters.
  • OJSP wrote:
    Women's History Month (March in USA, UK and Australia; October in Canada)?

I did not know there was a Women's History Month...I mean, I'm not surprised there is one in USA, but outside of USA, I am surprised.

The USA has a Black History Month as well, if I'm not mistaken, but I can't see that happening as an event, too much scope to be taken the wrong way.

Just trying to think up other themes for off season events again, I thought of "non-humans" event, but that would be similar to Black Vortex, and then you have to consider whether you count mutants and inhumans as non-humans. Hmm, what about big boosts for 'proper' non-humans and smaller boosts for inhumans and mutants and gods

Big boosts
    icon_carnage.pngicon_devildino.pngicon_gamora.pngicon_ragnarok.pngicon_silversurfer.pngicon_vision.pngicon_venom.pngicon_rocket.png
    Small boosts
    icon_beast.pngicon_colossus_new.pngicon_cyclops.pngicon_daken.pngicon_iceman.pngicon_jeangrey.pngicon_kamalakhan.pngicon_loki.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_mystique.pngicon_professorx.pngicon_psylocke.pngicon_quicksilver.pngicon_scarletwitch.pngicon_storm.pngicon_wolverine.png

Maybe better to make it Aliens icon_carnage.pngicon_gamora.pngicon_rocket.pngicon_venom.png vs Androids icon_ragnarok.pngicon_vision.png

Or a Blondes Have More Fun event? Just because the name is good.
    icon_caroldanvers.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_ms_marvel.pngicon_thor.pngicon_humantorch.pngicon_hawkeye.pngicon_ironfist.pngicon_juggernaut.pngicon_yelena.pngicon_invisiblewoman.pngicon_moonstone.png with some debate on icon_quicksilver.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_psylocke.png (in her original body, does this count?)
    Actually, it may be accidental, but that sounds to me like an ok list of boosted characters.

Better than a redheads boosted week. icon_jeangrey.pngicon_blackwidow.png (and depending on the artist:) icon_daredevil.pngicon_squirrelgirl.png (and debatable:) icon_devildino.png

Science club: icon_beast.pngicon_doctordoom.pngicon_doctoroctopus.pngicon_hulk.pngicon_ironman.pngicon_mrfantastic.pngicon_professorx.pngicon_rocket.pngicon_spiderman.png with debatable inclusions: icon_vision.pngicon_antman.pngicon_moonstone.pngicon_blackpanther.png

...Sorry carried away.
  • Dayv
    [quote="Grantosium"Maybe better to make it Aliens icon_carnage.pngicon_gamora.pngicon_rocket.pngicon_venom.png vs Androids icon_ragnarok.pngicon_vision.png[/quote]
    You could also include Loki and the Thors in the aliens list, depending on whose definitions you use (MCU or comics). I suppose Ares too, by that rule. Oh, and don't forget Silver Surfer -- he needs a boost.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    Grantosium wrote:
    Maybe better to make it Aliens icon_carnage.pngicon_gamora.pngicon_rocket.pngicon_venom.png vs Androids icon_ragnarok.pngicon_vision.png
    You could also include Loki and the Thors in the aliens list, depending on whose definitions you use (MCU or comics). I suppose Ares too, by that rule. Oh, and don't forget Silver Surfer -- he needs a boost.

Deliberately not giving Surfer a boost. icon_e_biggrin.gif

On the fence about giving Asgardians status as aliens.

Also, not a debate I expected to have today...