Would you pay for cosmetic changes?

XandorXerxes
XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Title is fairly self-explanatory. Going off a Steam / MoBA model. I'm assuming Marvel has some say if they don't want Wolverine wearing a silly hat, and obviously some different outfits correlate to different universes which allow multiple characters.

How much would you pay for board themes? Character outfits? Silly hats? Character Portraits (like you see on a vs screen)? Cover art? Other things you can think of?

I'm not one to purchase cosmetics, but obviously it works great for some games. More revenue is never bad for developers, people can choose to pick up art they'd prefer to see on their characters (no making all characters ugly so that we buy new character models, please), no balance impact on the game as long as they make sure everyone knows what version of Thor he or she is about to fight.

Thoughts?

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd pay to have a different in-game model of Iceman.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    subscription model, yes.. skins for the chars, no...

if anything, i want to see LESS of then.. a way to shut off animations would be nice.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    for cosmetic changes only... nope.

But if they would introduce equippable items, that have both utilities attached to them and a cosmetic value, why not.

For instance, think about an alternative costume that changes the color scheme, so you can have a HB using purple-yellow-green.
  • I was actually getting ready to purchase Iceman covers before they revealed the artwork for him. Been waiting almost 2 years for Iceman to be added so I was completely willing to purchase him. If they ever offer cosmetic changes, I'd consider it for improved artwork.
  • nope. they all came with rarity already, and if cosmetic meaning wearing hat, smoking cigarette, or riding bike. . . .hell no
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    scottee wrote:
    I'd pay to have a different in-game model of Iceman.

Ditto.

In fact, I'll put my money where my mouth is and make this pledge -- if they scrap freaky Powder-boy and re-do him in his ANXM uniform (similar to Jean's), I will, for the first time ever, whale-max the character right away. icon_e_smile.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't see me paying for much unless, like donietsche said, if they changed up color scheme or some utility of the character, I'd certainly consider it but that would be very tricky to keep balanced with previous infinite combos and such.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Never.
    Aesthetic changes mean nothing to me in games.

It's exactly why a game like Path of Exile will never get a dime from me. Great free to play model but I have no interest in what they are selling. Same goes for Hearthstone's gold cards. I'll happily dust any gold card even if it's highly valued like a golden Dr. Boom. I'd rather use the dust to own cards I don't own. If I ever own the entire collection I still won't spend on aesthetics cause I'd rather save up for future content.

My personal opinion aside aesthetic selling DOES work in F2P games and has been successful enough to keep games like Path of Exile alive and possibly thriving. I'd have no issues whatsoever with it being added to this game.
  • Cosmetics don't bother me or entice me to buy any, same as in any other game, it's all about gameplay for me, not the way the costume looks from the character.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd pay for different icemonster (iceman) art and a g-string version of cyclops butt pose Mutant Revolutionary.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    As a general rule I do not. However there are so many games offering the option they have to make money off of it.

As a specific rule, should they add Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider and provide the option to Ketch it, I might cave. Just this once.
  • if they add new alt, example black spidey usable for all rarity spidey and has effect like add 30% more hp, +20 tile damage on three strongest color, or maybe lessen ability cost to fire for example. why not? and sell for. . . . .500 hp. heck yeah!!
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    donietsche wrote:
    for cosmetic changes only... nope.

But if they would introduce equippable items, that have both utilities attached to them and a cosmetic value, why not.

For instance, think about an alternative costume that changes the color scheme, so you can have a HB using purple-yellow-green.

A change of colour scheme is a bit too much but I've also been proposing this for a while. Imagine a skin that changed colour strengths or that give a static ability like "can't be stunned".
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seemed to me they were gearing up for such an idea when Quicksilver came out with his classic costume only to change to his movie costume afterwards.

Thing is so they already have a bunch of characters with different designs at different levels. Ignoring movesets, is Patch not a reskin of 2* Wolverine? Humnan Torch? Thor? Spider Man?

Would it make sense to have a 3* Spider Man that could look like his 1* version? Easy to cause confusion when you're busy denying red only to find he's stored up yellow and healed himself.