The 4 star paradox...

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited September 2015 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
I can't be the only one to notice this, that the only way to get 4 stars, is to have 4 stars. Like you see the problem with this right devs? The few options that you give for people for players to get more 4 stars are only obtainable if you have them. I can barely reach 800 points half the time in PvP to get the three star character, how the hell are players who are at my pace supposed to get 1000? Oh and now there's a new deadpool daily where you can win a legendary token, but how do you qualify? By having 4 stars of course! Brilliant! Like are you just messing with us with this ****? Can you explain the rationale behind not allowing 3 stars into this challenge? It looks like a really fun challenge, too bad I can't play it for no discernible reason. You have to realize these are the players that need the 4 stars, even more than the ones that actually have them. You know that right? That's the way it's going with this, the powerful get more powerful while those that started later and don't have the 4 (and now ridiculous 5) stars are getting further behind in a gap. Absolutely ridiculous. A little off topic but 70000 points for a legendary token in PvE?!? Who has time for that? Even if I didn't have a job, I could never play those same nodes over and over again to reach that, I'd go insane. I have all the required characters for this event, cleared through all of them, finished ~400 each time and am barely at 40000. Please, PLEASE stop screwing over myself and players like me. I am truly baffled why you would treat your players like this.

Comments

• I have to say, that is the most valid point of all.

It's like the UK government keep the rich rich and the poor poorer.

With the introduction of 5* characters I think they should start to make 4* character covers more attainable. I have a X-Force wolverine but that's only due to frequent logins. I don't get a look in on event scores for 4* covers as I don't have the time with work.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Couldn't have said it better...this change is a complete joke icon_redface.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    nexusgrim wrote:
    I have to say, that is the most valid point of all.

It's like the UK government keep the rich rich and the poor poorer.

With the introduction of 5* characters I think they should start to make 4* character covers more attainable. I have a X-Force wolverine but that's only due to frequent logins. I don't get a look in on event scores for 4* covers as I don't have the time with work.
    They just added Legendary tokens: Does that not count as "making 4* characters more available"?
    Sure, not everyone will be able to get Legendary tokens, but the ways of getting 4* covers have increased. Even if you can just get the one from PvE progression, that's still one more 4* cover than you would have gotten otherwise.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    nexusgrim wrote:
    Hang onto your heroic tokens, because 4* odds are going to improve a little with the beginning of the new PvP season. I wouldn't expect them to double or anything, but we've been told they're getting better.

Overall, 4* access is improving, they're just making the changes to do so slowly. I imagine they'd rather undercurrent than overcorrect.
  • I hope so, I mean I do have three characters of the 4* category but they are all pretty low level. I haven't had one for female Thor in months nor Elektra. Wolverine X-Force I think is level 94 which has been the character I've been lucky enough to get 4 covers of.

They are attainable, I think I was hasty saying otherwise. I just think they are a tad too rare maybe?

Either way I'm more hooked on the game than ever right now itll be interesting to see what happens next. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    20three wrote:
    I can't be the only one to notice this, that the only way to get 4 stars, is to have 4 stars.
    Except it's not true. You can score 1k in PvP with buffed 3*s, and even a 2* roster can hit the progression in PvE.
    20three wrote:
    70000 points for a legendary token in PvE?!? Who has time for that?
    See, that's a completely different complaint. It's not that you can't, it's that you just can't be bothered.
  • simonsez wrote:
    20three wrote:
    70000 points for a legendary token in PvE?!? Who has time for that?
    See, that's a completely different complaint. It's not that you can't, it's that you just can't be bothered.
    I'd rather say he's not willing to sacrifice his personal life for a token in a mobile game.
    And neither do I.
  • simonsez
    shurak wrote:
    I'd rather say he's not willing to sacrifice his personal life for a token in a mobile game.
    And neither do I.
    That's a choice you're making. It's not a paradox.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    simonsez wrote:
    shurak wrote:
    And neither do I.
    That's a choice you're making. It's not a paradox.

I guess you missed the part (or purposely chose to ignore it) where I said it was a little off topic. I am so sorry to inconvenience you by this, and that I didn't feel like making a separate topic to note this complaint because it is at least somewhat similar and relevant to this issue....
  • simonsez
    20three wrote:
    I guess you missed the part (or purposely chose to ignore it) where I said it was a little off topic.
    It's not "off topic", when it directly contradicts your argument. And referring to something as "off topic" in no way modifies the content of whatever comes after it. You might as well have said, "oh, by the way".
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Wouldn't be good if, instead of release a new 4 star character every two weeks (like they are doing), they launched a PVE in which is rewardered one of the existing 4 star?
    Instead of fight a week in order to have Hulk o Sentry, we could have X-Force wolverine, Nick Fury and so on. In this way we could afford the new DDQ also and built our roster.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm ok with the availability of legendary tokens. You have to work hard to get them, but they're out there if you want them. The 4* DDQ event kind of shocked me with its difficulty, though. It definitely hews a lot closer to the OP's point about needing powerful 4*s to get more.

OTOH, I imagine that people with several maxed 4* characters found DDQ kind of boring since it was basically a daily ISO supply with the occasional missing 3* cover.

Anyway, I'm sitting on one legendary token until the second 5* is released, and managed to get it fairly easily from the Hulk event having had all 3 essential characters and getting in a full play through right after each sub expired. My problem is that I can't keep staying up late to be there when the subs expire, and the other slices don't really allow me to play at the right times to be competitive. I definitely won't hit the top progression in Rocket & Groot, and probably won't in Venom Heroic either, mainly because of scheduling. That's not really something D3 should fix, it's just unfortunate.
  • I agree. I have i think 10 4 stars but most of them i only have 1 cover for. I got lucky with Mr. Fantastic and got all 3 of his due to high placement and got one from deadpool so hes 2/1/1 but that still doesnt make him viable for much of anything. And x-wolverine i only have because of daily logins.

Maybe up the chance of 4 stars from gold tokens or make legendary tokens SLIGHTLY easier to get and drop silver surfers chances to maybe only 2.5% instead of 5%.

I dont know im just throwing stuff out here to be honest.

But im at that point where 3 star covers are a dime a dozen for me. Big enchilada is easymode provided its not ninjas and i have the character already.
  • Ding
    Ding Posts: 179
    In response to the OP, you DON'T need a 4* roster to get a 4* in PvP. I have a full 3* roster and only use my single 4* on the rare occasion I feel like #hopping. I'm very slowly building my 4* roster. By the time it's more developed others will have 6*s. Most of those people started before me and should be ahead of me. Some people spent more money/or have more time to play, and they should also be ahead of me. Others have been luckier/smarter than me.
  • Regarding the recent proliferation of 4 star characters, I will offer my opinion and my suggestion.

Originally, in months and years past, those who played this game would tell you that 4 star characters were fairly rare and exclusive.

That was fine, but a problem arose in that in PVP events, those players with highly upgraded 4 star characters were lumped into matches with 3 star opponents - which is absolutely idiotic and unfair. Imagine you have a team with 166 level 3 star characters playing a pvp event only to be punked by some team with multiple fully upgraded 4 star characters. For a while, D3s answer was to have 3 star pvp teams get matched up with poor 2* players in events. So those with a strong 3 star team put up with getting their butts kicked by a 4 star team because they could in turn beat up a 2 star team. Doesn't make sense.

The natural result was that D3 would puke out an unusual number of 4 star characters, in order to, long term, set up PVPs to be 4 star vs 4 star, 3 star vs 3 star, etc. But as we see, the process isn't pretty. With the proliferation of 4 stars, we all have some well covered 4 star characters, and a panoply of 4 star characters with only 1 or 2 covers. Let's not forget that all these new characters require spots in your roster, which rely on hero points, not ISO.

This creates a conundrum for players. If you are willing to spend alot of money, and are in a good alliance where you win lots of covers - you stack up on, and upgrade any and all new characters. If you're like the rest of us - you develop a 1 star crew, then you develop a 2 star crew, then you focus on developing a 3 star crew while focusing on a few 4 star characters depending on your luck and budget.
  • They just added Legendary tokens: Does that not count as "making 4* characters more available"?
    Sure, not everyone will be able to get Legendary tokens, but the ways of getting 4* covers have increased. Even if you can just get the one from PvE progression, that's still one more 4* cover than you would have gotten otherwise.

The problem with this argument. I have 3 out of 16 4* characters fully covered and 2 of those 3 fully leveled to 270. Guess what 4 out of my first 6 legendary tokens have been? You guessed it my 2 full leveled 4*'s. This game is designed to sadistically punish its players. He one and only way to get multiple 4* level characters is to spend hundreds if not thousands on the game. Proven fact.