Rare Tokens: 4* transition fix?

WelcomeDeath
WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
OK, so there's been a lot of complaining about the big gap between 3 star.png players and 4 star.png players. Legendary tokens were supposed to ease this a bit, but are really only available to those who were already placing high enough to earn 4 star.png characters (Above 1000 in pvp and 2x max prog in pve, enough to earn 4 star.png on new releases.
My question is this: Why did d3 skip "Rare" tokens? Characters go 1 star standard, 2 star heroic, 3 star rare, 4 star legendary, 5 star epic. Tokens are 1 star standard (chance of 2 or 3 star), 2 star Heroic (chance of 3 star small chance at 4), Legendary (4star chance at 5).
I propose introducing Rare tokens. Guaranteed 3 star with a (15%?) chance at a 4 star to bridge the gap. Introduce them at 900 points in pvp instead of event token and replace the event token at 1.5x old max progression in pve with a Rare token. Much more achievable for a 3 to 4 transition players and would bridge the gap a bit. Thoughts?

Comments

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    i would loved them to do a cover turn in..

1.. get rid of the 14 day thing we have in our covers
    2.. Allow people to trade in 3 10 stars and get 1 4 star

Many people who have 3 stars fully covered color wise or cover wise and dont need the covers and cant get the 4star covers that easy..

this would make people want to keep playing..

Only way i know for a fact i get 4 star tokens is double PVE, but how much do i want to play when im playing all of this time just for 1 4 star token cause the 3 stars are no good to me...

either that or allow us to sell 3 stars back for HP that would help people who complain about slot cost
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I propose introducing Rare tokens. Guaranteed 3 star with a (15%?) chance at a 4 star to bridge the gap. Introduce them at 900 points in pvp instead of event token and replace the event token at 1.5x old max progression in pve with a Rare token. Much more achievable for a 3 to 4 transition players and would bridge the gap a bit. Thoughts?

Rare tokens do seem like an obvious way to improve things in that range, offer them as awards instead of specific 3* covers.

If they are pushing onto a 4*/5* game then they probably need to be doing a split progression approach to pve/pvp with capped and unrestricted events running concurrently and awarding appropriate rewards to each event e.g. in pvp they could have one event that was capped at something like 120/135 or so and rewarded rare tokens alongside an unlimited event that offered better rewards, you would need to choose one or other event to enter and not both so people with larger rosters would have to choose easy iso vs useful rewards.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think that ddq basically takes care of a lot of that, adding a cover a day guaranteed. I know before ddq my progress was going very slow but around the time that ddq started I also started placing t100 in pvp and things progressed very fast at that point. that is a tremendous help to the 2->3* transitioner. however, it does nearly nothing to give you that little extra shot at 4*s. 1% chance in your vault might as well not be there. especially when legendaries have 5% and soon will have 10% chance at the next level. that kind of 'extra' is not there for 4*s and I agree it should be addressed in some fashion. its been said that percentages will got up for tokens starting next season - we'll see what happens to the pull rates. overall I think they're trying to do what is best for the game overall though.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    OK, so there's been a lot of complaining about the big gap between 3 star.png players and 4 star.png players. Legendary tokens were supposed to ease this a bit, but are really only available to those who were already placing high enough to earn 4 star.png characters (Above 1000 in pvp and 2x max prog in pve, enough to earn 4 star.png on new releases.
    ?

I think people who say this are getting ahead of themselves. Consider the 2-3-4* essentials and rotating weekly buffs. That to me shows that the devs want you build and LEVEL your current roster before moving on to the next tier. If you can't get 1k in pvp then you simply aren't ready to move on. 1k starts your transition, and any other means of aquiring legendary tokens (except pve progression which I think is only there to encourage players to pve) is there to accelerate your transition once you are past the beginning stages of it.

Just because someone has a maxed Ironfist and Luke Cage that they use to brute force every node when the rest of their roster is garbage, doesn't mean they are ready. And if someone's roster is full on Slidecage mode, they aren't ready either. Level your ****.
  • The only legendary token avaliable for a 4* transition is the top pve progression one. The 1.3k on pvp and DDQ are for late 4* and 5* transition. Those players also are the ones getting T2 on pve and T1 on pvp, so right now the late 4* wrapping has more space than the 3->4* transition.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:

Rare tokens do seem like an obvious way to improve things in that range, offer them as awards instead of specific 3* covers.

This is actually a genuinely great idea. The token can be used in 2 ways.. to add a cover to a 3* you have (like a universal ^1 level instead of the cover) or an open the token and see what you get.

Use these for the rewards, 1, 2, and 3 tokens instead of 1,2,3 covers, and a token at 800 in pvp and as the alliance reward, also as the 3* progression in story mode.

This would allow those of us who need very few 3* covers to complete our rosters... those with few or transitioning 3* rosters to complete key people, and those who need none, a chance at a 4* cover to help start their conversion.

We should toss this into the suggestions area.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:
    Just because someone has a maxed Ironfist and Luke Cage that they use to brute force every node when the rest of their roster is garbage, doesn't mean they are ready.
    funny you say that - got to 1300 using fist/cage (unboosted, played at 166 in the event) in the quicksilver pvp (and again in the MFer event, but fist was boosted there), although it took a ton of hp to do it. used correctly they can take you a long ways, ready for it or not, regardless of what the rest of your roster is. but I do agree, gimping your roster only gets you so far in the game. it can help when pve is your primary source, but pvp covers every 3 days rapidly accelerate that progress. key guys need to be leveled. not the beasts and doc ocks, but the fist/cage/mags/thor/Cyclops group - that needs to be 166 or close to it.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    This is actually a genuinely great idea. The token can be used in 2 ways.. to add a cover to a 3* you have (like a universal ^1 level instead of the cover) or an open the token and see what you get.

I don't think anyone had mentioned using them like a level up rather than just being a token to fit in between heroic and legendary, it would probably be too flexible an item for them to want to see in the game as it would effectively be worth up to 2500 hp.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

I don't think anyone had mentioned using them like a level up rather than just being a token to fit in between heroic and legendary, it would probably be too flexible an item for them to want to see in the game as it would effectively be worth up to 2500 hp.

If you use it and pull a 4*, then you get what you get, if you use it for a 3* cover level up, then it is worth no more than the standard 1250hp it costs to level a 3* cover... which is what you would have been getting to begin with.
  • Replace the second event token in PVE and PVP progressions with a "Rare" Token, as stated, of course, although I suggest it's odds be 90/10 3-4 star split respectively, just like the legendary token would be 4-5 90/10 split once the second 5 drops.

I would also add to replace the TBE reward with this token once the current cover cycle completes, which makes it harder to target build your 3 stars, but improves the chances of acquiring new characters in both ranges, to ease the 2-3 star transition and unlocking more shots at TBE.

Alternately, they could just add the 4 star essentials to the PVE progression either in the current legendary slot and push the Legendary token further back, or slightly before the legendary token, since it seems to be a 4-5 transition tool.

I would honestly prefer the latter, because getting the essentials help you close gap in your current event and more importantly, lets you be ready for future events where the 4 star will reappear.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    I think that ddq basically takes care of a lot of that, adding a cover a day guaranteed. I know before ddq my progress was going very slow but around the time that ddq started I also started placing t100 in pvp and things progressed very fast at that point. that is a tremendous help to the 2->3* transitioner. however, it does nearly nothing to give you that little extra shot at 4*s. 1% chance in your vault might as well not be there. especially when legendaries have 5% and soon will have 10% chance at the next level. that kind of 'extra' is not there for 4*s and I agree it should be addressed in some fashion. its been said that percentages will got up for tokens starting next season - we'll see what happens to the pull rates. overall I think they're trying to do what is best for the game overall though.

No. It doesn't/

T100 in pvp before was for the 1 4 star reward.

Now theres a token for a gurenteed 4 star at 1300
    a 4 star at 1000
    And a season reward that requires 10,000 for another guaranteed 4 star.
    40 3 stars
    DDQ only servicing those who have 3 stars. At a rate of 1 cover per character for 40 days, taking 480 days IF an ideal build cycles through and if you already have 1 of each to start with, aka getting lucky from standards or heroics, or taking your 2 star team and besting the 3 star competition and 4 star competition in pvp to place high enough for pvp covers.

While anecdotes are useful, please don't use your own anecdote to say everything is fine when its not. Especially when things have changed and your anecdote operates in a bubble of nothing changes.

The percentages for 4 stars isn't going up significantly because the developers basically cited a .1% increase as an example. 480 days is not a reasonable amount of time to be 2 tiers behind for competition, in that time frame 6 stars will exist or the game will go belly up, if we keep thinking in the mind set that everything in the game is like it was a year ago.

I'm a current 2>3 star, top 100 pvp only happens if i don't compete and luck out into a bracket before the event ends, losing out on potential HP to roster whatever 3 star it could be, I don't have enough roster slots for every 3 star, thats not cheap. So no I don't get a guaranteed cover a day. and 1 cover every 40 days doesn't make a character usable. It makes them an expense. An expense that can't even be used boosted if you don't have 1 of each cover.
  • they could just drop 2*s from the event tokens and in crease the % for the specific here to 33% and have them fill the role.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

No. It doesn't/

T100 in pvp before was for the 1 4 star reward.

Now theres a token for a gurenteed 4 star at 1300
    a 4 star at 1000
    And a season reward that requires 10,000 for another guaranteed 4 star.
    40 3 stars
    DDQ only servicing those who have 3 stars. At a rate of 1 cover per character for 40 days, taking 480 days IF an ideal build cycles through and if you already have 1 of each to start with, aka getting lucky from standards or heroics, or taking your 2 star team and besting the 3 star competition and 4 star competition in pvp to place high enough for pvp covers.

While anecdotes are useful, please don't use your own anecdote to say everything is fine when its not. Especially when things have changed and your anecdote operates in a bubble of nothing changes.

The percentages for 4 stars isn't going up significantly because the developers basically cited a .1% increase as an example. 480 days is not a reasonable amount of time to be 2 tiers behind for competition, in that time frame 6 stars will exist or the game will go belly up, if we keep thinking in the mind set that everything in the game is like it was a year ago.

I'm a current 2>3 star, top 100 pvp only happens if i don't compete and luck out into a bracket before the event ends, losing out on potential HP to roster whatever 3 star it could be, I don't have enough roster slots for every 3 star, thats not cheap. So no I don't get a guaranteed cover a day. and 1 cover every 40 days doesn't make a character usable. It makes them an expense. An expense that can't even be used boosted if you don't have 1 of each cover.

Are you in a top100 Alliance? 4 months ago I was also a 2-3* transitioner and now I am working on 3-4*. The biggest thing that helped me was joining a top100 alliance. And it was SO EASY. All I did was post a screen shot of current pve, current season, and shield sim. I had over 10 people message me to join and I simply picked the best one. There's room for a handful of transitioners in every alliance because you can carry them in pve and the they will carry you in pvp. While the alliance covers are nice, I'm mainly talking about the free HP that you wouldn't otherwise get. Roster slots easily pay for themselves and the best part is................ you get so much HP that you can start buying specific covers that you want. This way you can hand pick who you want as your mains. Once you get a couple of them at 10-13 covers and level them to around 120, you can start noobstomping your way to 800 which is enough for top100 and get even more covers. This is also when you'll be in pve heaven and you'll rake in 4 more covers every event without even trying. It's like a snowball and your transition will speed up so fast that ISO will then become your limiting factor. I throw away over 50 3* covers every two weeks and I was in your exact position 4 months ago. Looking back, I don't know how time flew so fast. It took a lot of hard work, but it was fun and very rewarding.

http://imgur.com/a/1CYZY#0
    This was my application. That's all it took.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Malcrof wrote:
    Crowl wrote:

Use these for the rewards, 1, 2, and 3 tokens instead of 1,2,3 covers, and a token at 800 in pvp and as the alliance reward, also as the 3* progression in story mode.

This would allow those of us who need very few 3* covers to complete our rosters... those with few or transitioning 3* rosters to complete key people, and those who need none, a chance at a 4* cover to help start their conversion.

We should toss this into the suggestions area.
    As fun as that would be, it would take revenue away in that no one would then buy the missing fifth Black Panther Black or whatever. I think that people should bear in mind the bottom line.
  • WelcomeDeath
    OK never meant for it to be a plus one any ability. Would work like regular tokens just a different setting level between the ones that already exist that seems to have been skipped.
  • NNCSavage
    NNCSavage Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    I said something similar in a previous suggestion thread about a rare token option.
    Basically:

Drop the guaranteed 3* cover to 625ish for the 2*-> 3* people
    add a rare bag (say 20% 4* chance?) at the 800 level to help the 3* -> 4*
    leave the 4* at 1k and leg token at 1.3k.

definitely like the same option between old 1x prog and new 1x prog in PvE though!
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Haetron wrote:
    Replace the second event token in PVE and PVP progressions with a "Rare" Token, as stated, of course, although I suggest it's odds be 90/10 3-4 star split respectively, just like the legendary token would be 4-5 90/10 split once the second 5 drops.
    I would say the final 900 pt progression would be a better fit. The player has gotten by the 3* cover, now its another 3* character with a chance at a 4*.
  • Haetron wrote:
    Replace the second event token in PVE and PVP progressions with a "Rare" Token, as stated, of course, although I suggest it's odds be 90/10 3-4 star split respectively, just like the legendary token would be 4-5 90/10 split once the second 5 drops.
    I would say the final 900 pt progression would be a better fit. The player has gotten by the 3* cover, now its another 3* character with a chance at a 4*.

That was actually what I meant, forgot that PVP gets 3 event tokens.
  • WelcomeDeath
    Yeah that was my reasoning for 900.pts, have it mirror the 4* to legendary in progression .