Moving / Modifying / Deleting Topics in General - Take 2

LXSandman
LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Der_Lex wrote:

From the forum rules:

Please don’t restart discussions that already exist. Before starting a new thread, search our forums to see if a similar topic already exists. If you find one, contribute your content to the thread that is already established.

Or, as I tend to explain it in places where I wear a moderator/admin hat: 'you are not such a unique and special little snowflake that your opinion on a topic that's already being discussed deserves its own thread. Please use existing threads just like every other user'

A single huge complaint thread is just as impressive as a ton of separate posts, and that way other users can still use the forum without needing to wade through the muck.

Ok, so I don't see a discussion related to why topics were being modified / moved / deleted about DDQ. So why was this topic locked? Just because you have the power doesn't mean you need to bring the hammer down on everything. This has to do with how the mods are behaving, it has nothing to do with DDQ.

So I'm just going finish my discussion with IceIX below....
IceIX wrote:
Topics are being merged and locked because they're all about the same topic. We don't need page one of General Discussion being taken up with 25 threads that are all fragments of one thread. Let's keep things tidy. Easier for people to find what they're looking for, easier for people to chat about relevant stuff.

Hey IceIX, Thanks for respondoing.

I think the issue is that by doing this it is making the impression that the Mods are attempting to change the tone of the response to DDQ It appears like a "white washing" of the topic. It becomes incredible difficult to respond to a topic that has 5 different threads in it and is 11 pages long. The end result is that no one continues reading it / things get lost.

That's why people are upset. They might have a genuine concern or point of view, but they get mashed into another thread and ignored.

Comments

• IceIX wrote:
    Topics are being merged and locked because they're all about the same topic. We don't need page one of General Discussion being taken up with 25 threads that are all fragments of one thread. Let's keep things tidy. Easier for people to find what they're looking for, easier for people to chat about relevant stuff.

With respect, this is just another way of saying you want to compartmentalize negative reactions to changes D3 makes that sizable portions of the player base dislike to avoid having to deal with, or acknowledge them.

If we're honest, that's the only time when you have "25 threads that are all fragments of the one thread." If players liked the changes, you wouldn't see forum rage.

The easiest way to keep the forums clean is to not implement changes that significant portions of your player base straight up hate. If your front page is blowing up with negative reactions when it doesn't normally, that should be a sign to pay attention, not shove all your customers'/players' reactions into a box that you can stick in a closet where you can pretend it's not there.
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    The devs rarely pay attention to the forums. But they do pay attention to the reviews on Google play/ the Apple Store. And they can't silence people there.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    We have 4 threads that all tackle things from a different angle at the moment:
    Reactions/feedback
    Strategy
    How many/what type of people beat the mission
    Upcoming matches

If there is a topic of conversation that does not fit into one of those, it could be a new thread. However, given the threads that we keep seeing pop up and merging? They universally fit into category 1, sometimes 2. Post in the place other people are posting, please.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    LXSandman wrote:
    Ok, so I don't see a discussion related to why topics were being modified / moved / deleted about DDQ. So why was this topic locked?
    Because it was asked and answered.

As this one now is.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Merrick wrote:
    The devs rarely pay attention to the forums. But they do pay attention to the reviews on Google play/ the Apple Store. And they can't silence people there.
    ::looks at posts made just today about the subject at hand::
    ::looks at this post::

I don't even...
This discussion has been closed.