Having required characters in The Gauntlet is not fun

OzarkBoatswain
OzarkBoatswain Posts: 693 Critical Contributor
edited September 2015 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
I just got through Sim 41 in the Gauntlet after around 10 attempts, then breezed through the next 3 nodes, only to discover that the final node requires Mr. Fantastic, who I don't have. I can't beat all of the nodes, so I don't get the one worthwhile prize of a 4* cover. So I put in a lot of work and I'm not going to get anything out of it.

There is no indication that he is required beforehand. I suppose I could have avoided the event if I read the forums and noted the requirements, but should I really have to do this? Even if the game notified the player on which characters were required, it still wouldn't be fun -- if you don't have the right characters, you are locked out of the prize, end of story.

Other events don't have this problem because you can always grind on the other nodes. In the Gauntlet, if you don't have a 'required' character, you should have the option of going into the fight with just two characters. Or better yet: don't have required characters in the Gauntlet.

Comments

• XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    As someone in a similar boat to Ozark, I almost fully agree with him.
    OJSP wrote:
    would the satisfaction from knowing that you've performed better than a lot of other players be something worthwhile?

There is no indication that he is required beforehand. He was the 4* reward from The Hunt (previous event), that meant he would've been an essential character for the following event

Or better yet: don't have required characters in the Gauntlet.

I slightly disagree with this..

The reason I asked if this is your 1st gauntlet, is that this is the 2nd time a 4* character is required. Last time it was run, Invisible Woman was the essential character. She was the top2 price of the previous event, which I tried to obtain, but fell short by coming 3rd. I tried so hard to obtain her during the Gauntlet, spent isos and a small amount of HP, but instead got a few good 3*s instead (and probably an X-Force, i was excited to see the pulsing gold token, but soon deflated afterwards).

I think Gauntlet is the ultimate challenge for an MPQ player and it's very challenging (even more than Heroics). I've only completed 2 of 5 since I started playing. If everybody could beat the gauntlet, it will get boring very quickly..

Thor's yellowflag.png is the least favoured anyway, amongst many forum users.. most prefer the 5/3/5 build. I got my 4th in this event, making her 0/4/4.. but I was hoping for redflag.png or blueflag.png .. sometimes, there's no way to completely satisfy everyone.

The satisfaction of performing better than a lot of people is a driving force for some. For me, I like to see progression. I don't care if I out-performed every player and did it with only a 1* roster, if I'm not moving forward in the game it's a dealbreaker.

IW and Mr. F can't really be compared as a requirement. IF is given out in shield re-supply, and a large player base already had her before she was required. If they had required most any other 4* I don't think there would be the same issue as in this Gauntlet. Mr. F was just released in a limited fashion. To deny access to the ability to progress because I had things like work that prevented me from even competing in the PvE to get him is particularly demoralizing.

You mention how the Gauntlet is supposed to be super challenging, and everyone shouldn't be able to beat it because otherwise it would be boring. Ozark and I are able to beat it, we are stymied by an artificial wall. The developers might as well have locked the last node and said only people who are willing to pay $30 are able to try it. Not-beating the gauntlet because I don't have Mr. F isn't a test of my skill, it's a test to see if I'm willing to throw down cash to get him because he's so rare.

As far as Yellow Thoress goes, those of us who haven't fully covered her would still like another cover - even if only to help in the new 4* DPD.

I don't mind required characters in the Gauntlet - I just think that all required characters should also be rewards so that if you play optimally you can at least get 1 cover and try to win it from there.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Or...perhaps there could be a possibility of earning the required character during the run as a progression?
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    OJSP wrote:
    Look, i just wanted to clarify something.. I wasn't trying to be condescending with my replies, I apologise if they sounded that way. I agree there are some things that I don't particularly agree with, specifically with the developers' decisions for their game design.. and I am not here to defend them. This game is good business.

I just think maybe we take things too seriously with this game and what we need is to step back, catch our breath and re-assess our objectives.. When I started playing, I wanted to be competitive as quickly as possible but on my terms, that means not spending money unnecessarily.. and I haven't so far... As a drawback, that means sometimes, I just have to accept that I can't have what I want. The number of times I got upset due to small things that happened in the game, now makes me laugh when I think about them..

I hope in several weeks, you can laugh about this too (or maybe smile).

No worries - I wasn't trying to be condescending either.

It's just annoying that I can't do what is probably my favorite event and get the reward just because I wasn't able to compete in a character launch PvE. I'll have to break 1K in PVP to get him, but I'm pretty sure not everyone is going to be able to do that.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 693 Critical Contributor
    Update: I got Mr. Fantastic as the PVP progression reward and beat the Gauntlet. I'm glad that I got the Gauntlet reward, but it was still annoying and no fun. Games should be fun.
  • its current form is a big time saver, if i don't have the heroes decently covered i don't bother, save me a bunch of time. played this one for the red 3* cap reward for my duplicate capt dindt bother 3 level.