Shielding vs Health Packs

gmp72
gmp72 Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
A question please.

In PVP, when I approach the threshold of 1000 points or 1300 points, and final placement is not of huge concern, and I run out of health packs.

Which is the better option :

1. Shield (75 or 150 HP) and wait for my health packs to recover, with a chance that the shield hop may not work successfully
Or
2. Buy 6 Health Packs (200 HP) and push for the reward.

I've often found that timing is key, and if you find that you are not being attacked by multiple opponents between matches, you may have a window of 5-10 minutes to push further.

What do you guys think ?

Comments

• rdevil32
    rdevil32 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    I am by now means a vet nor an expert, but given the 2 options, and assuming you are within reasonable reach to 1k or 1.3k, i will opt for shields (in this case a 3hr and a 8hr totalling 225hp, vs 6 healthpacks of 200hp), reasons being:
    > I can breathe and queue up higher points target, and fight later
    > I may have a chance of higher placing since I reduce the time I am exposed
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would definitely say shield. If you're on the threshold of 1000, that means you've probably been playing for a few matches, meaning you're visible to others that are playing. If you buy healthpacks and keep pushing, you could win and cross the threshold, but also get attacked and keep going up and down. If you shield, those attacks will bounce off and those that have you queued will attack and bounce.

Just for the peace of mind, I always shield one match away from 1k, so that I don't have to bother with the ups and downs and I'm only 1 match from 1k. The times that no one attacks, meaning I could've possibly crossed 1k without the shield are usually outweighed by the amounts of time that I have multiple bounces, that could've dropped me a lot, negating all the climbing I'd just done. I'm usually low on healthpacks at that point anyway, so I'd rather protect my points and avoid the frustration for the cost of 75 HP.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    It really depends. If targets are becoming scarce, then I'll shield and wait for good targets. If i'm on a good run with good targets and no end in sight, I'll go for the heals.

Last night I chose the heals option and shielded at the end of my run at 1859. I started at 0 and it was my first shield. I likely wouldn't have been able to hit that score without the heals. Worst part is I got hit for over 200 near the end and I'm still not t5 in my bracket.
  • gmp72
    gmp72 Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    Thanx guys.

I guess that's one of the attractions of the game -- multiple strategies ... shieldgrey.png vs healthpack.png