Health Packs - Saving them is wasting them

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
By now you all probably know that I'm a numbers guy.

I just wanted to share a little bit of numberology with you so you can make the most out of your gameplay.

I have previously written guides explaining how to use certain Venom levels to "free heal" your characters to avoid using your health packs. ( It can be found here: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=166&p=925#p925 )

While this is great (mostly for mid-level characters) I would also like to point out that keeping 4/4 health packs is a 100% WASTE. By not using your health packs regularly you're essentially throwing away more free health packs. Let me explain...

If you have 4/4 health packs, you are not regenerating new ones and you cannot get that time back. My health packs take 1hr. 36 min. [96 min] (not sure if that is the same for everyone).

There are 1,440 minutes in every day. If it takes 96 minutes to regenerate 1 health pack then:
1440 ÷ 96 = 15

That means you have the POTENTIAL to earn 15 additional health packs every day. By maintaing at least a 3/4 health pack count, you can keep the clock running and not miss out on all available healing.

If you understand what I've explained - feel free to stop here, close this topic, and get back to playing.

If you find yourself thinking: "That is IMPOSSIBLE. I'm not awake for 24 hours a day to keep the clock running" then read on so I can learn you another thing or two about mathing properly. icon_e_ugeek.gif (Note: intentional bad grammar)

Keeping this going while you're sleeping is easy... before you go to bed, just use all 4 of your health packs so you are 0/4 and go to sleep. To regenerate 4 health packs at 96 minutes each:

96 x 4 = 384 minutes ( or 6.4 hours ) and within the recommended 6-8 hours of sleep per night.

If you want to sleep the full 8 hours, it is - remarkably - exactly 96 minutes (1 Health Pack) greater than the time it takes to regenerate all 4 (384 minutes).

So by using all your health packs before you go to bed, maintaining at least a 3/4 stock throughout the day, and sleeping 8 hours.... you can still have 14 additional health packs per day and wake up every morning with 4/4.

If you are going to play - play smart.

Comments

• Agreed; the issue for me is when I earn extra health packs since (above the 4) since you burn through the non-replenishing ones first so while I know using them makes more sense in general (since you can, in theory automatically replenish 15/day), I still try to say my "extra" ones for a hard push up the ladder (in tournaments)...half the time I do exactly that, the other half I get distracted and end up wasting them. icon_razz.gif
  • hogunner wrote:
    I still try to say my "extra" ones for a hard push up the ladder (in tournaments)...half the time I do exactly that, the other half I get distracted and end up wasting them. icon_razz.gif

Same here. I am not saying that people should hold this as gospel and never keep stock... but to sit on 4/4 for no practical purpose is a complete waste of resources.

With the way the math works so perfectly it really goes to show that the game developers really thought out the time needed to regenerate a health pack.

Before I did the math, 1 hr. 36 min. seemed very random. icon_lol.gif
  • Depends how you play. If you can only play a few hours in the morning and then at night, it doesn't make much sense to burn through them all.

They are extremely handy for the end of events when you are making your final push force best reward. Also the lightning events.
  • Haha, I'd been hoarding them because I had no idea what they cost, or how to get them back (this is a fundamental problem with Freemium titles that leads to hoarding tendencies). I was up to nearly 40 for a while, but I've been burning through them in Events recently to score those rare covers. Still in the upper teens. So what you're saying is that I should be popping them like candy every play session. Good to know!