Am I the only one excited for iOS 9

mjh
mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
This could be us but D3 playin'

21072164780_653cf360c2_c.jpg

No, but for real, with the release of iOS 9 very soon and multitasking coming to iPad, this could be your MPQ gaming experience on iPad.

predictions about this thread I hope don't come true:
This turns into an iOS/Android debate
This turns into an "out-of-game communication" debate

Comments

• Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Ahahahaha.

Android is much better than IOS, and you're cheating by using out of game communications.
    I read your spoiler before posting and couldn't help myself. Don't play on IOS myself, but looks pretty cool. Very nice if it all works out like that for ya.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like to file a Freedom of Information Act request to get the unredacted version of that chat window.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting. Although Android is already multitasking, the currently active window is full screen, and portrait in the case of MPQ. So the layout as shown isn't possible on Android.

Of course, if you're going to be able to run MPQ when your tablet / "don't call it a tablet it's an iThing" is in landscape mode, I think I'd prefer full screen with the layout as on Steam. But that will never happen.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    mjh wrote:

No, but for real, with the release of iOS 9 very soon and multitasking coming to iPad, this could be your MPQ gaming experience on iPad.

This would require them to allow the game to be played in landscape mode. Fat chance that ever happens!!!

I'd upgrade solely for the ability alone! icon_lol.gif
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Phumade wrote:
    This would require them to allow the game to be played in landscape mode. Fat chance that ever happens!!!

In the words of the esteemed Homer Simpson : Mmm landscape.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Interesting. Although Android is already multitasking, the currently active window is full screen

Nope, running side by side, actually up to 4 simultaneously has been working beautifully on my tablet for about a year or more, same with my wife's Note 3. The SDK for 6.0 Marshmallow appears to allow alternately connected secondary screens (bluetooth/usb/micro hdmi) capability, not just screen mirroring, but desktop extension.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    At the risk of alienating Apple users, it always amazes me when Apple comes out with a technology that has been around for years, re-brands and markets it, and people go "Oh WOW! look at this brand-new-never-before-seen-shiny-thing!" A similar situation occurred when the first iPad came out - tablets were around for years prior to that (see original Windows tablet). Side-by-side is nice, but it's nothing new. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Phumade wrote:
    mjh wrote:

Actually, I believe that is landscape mode. It's converting two portrait mode apps into a landscape view.

Knyghtmare
    S.H.I.E.L.D
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    san-mpq wrote:
    "look at this brand-new-never-before-seen-shiny-thing!" A similar situation occurred when the first iPad came out - tablets were around for years prior to that (see original Windows tablet). Side-by-side is nice, but it's nothing new. icon_e_smile.gif
    You are mistaken in that Apple has always taken existing products and iterated upon them so yes and no. Mostly no. Anybody who knows anything about Apple knows they never come out with never-before-seen-thing. They put more thought into things.

To keep this on topic, D3 really should step up their iOS dev game. Landscape mode has been asked for a long time now and with technology moving forward, they need to revisit it, for reasons other than LINE battle chat.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    mjh wrote:
    This turns into an iOS/Android debate
    san-mpq wrote:
    At the risk of alienating Apple users, it always amazes me when Apple comes out with a technology that has been around for years, re-brands and markets it, and people go "Oh WOW! look at this brand-new-never-before-seen-shiny-thing!" A similar situation occurred when the first iPad came out - tablets were around for years prior to that (see original Windows tablet). Side-by-side is nice, but it's nothing new. icon_e_smile.gif
    Shots fired
  • mjh wrote:
    Anybody who knows anything about Apple knows they never come out with never-before-seen-thing. They put more thought into marketing them.

Fixed that for you.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    As a Steam user, getting excited for this really confuses me.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    metabelian wrote:
    mjh wrote:
    Anybody who knows anything about Apple knows they never come out with never-before-seen-thing. They put more thought into marketing them.

Fixed that for you.

LoL! I like that.

Anyways, back to topic. I wasn't intending to fire shots, just point out a common misconception. I do agree that landscape mode for iOS and Android would be nice.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tannen wrote:
    Ahahahaha.

Android is much better than IOS, and you're cheating by using out of game communications.
    I read your spoiler before posting and couldn't help myself. Don't play on IOS myself, but looks pretty cool. Very nice if it all works out like that for ya.
    The big problem with android is the phones are only good for about 6 months and iPhones run forever. I actually like the android interface better, but could not find a device that didn't drive me up a wall with glitches in about 6m. Now IOS rules my life.
  • Moon Roach
    Malcrof wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Interesting. Although Android is already multitasking, the currently active window is full screen

Nope, running side by side, actually up to 4 simultaneously has been working beautifully on my tablet for about a year or more, same with my wife's Note 3. The SDK for 6.0 Marshmallow appears to allow alternately connected secondary screens (bluetooth/usb/micro hdmi) capability, not just screen mirroring, but desktop extension.

Ooh, interesting. I have a fully updated Nexus 10 and have never seen anything running that wasn't full screen. Do those "up to 4" include MPQ? I suspect it forces full screen.
  • Moon Roach
    wymtime wrote:
    Tannen wrote:
    Ahahahaha.

The big problem with android is the phones are only good for about 6 months and iPhones run forever. I actually like the android interface better, but could not find a device that didn't drive me up a wall with glitches in about 6m. Now IOS rules my life.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but my Samsung S3 has been good for about 3 years, (cracked screen (dropped a couple of years ago) notwithstanding) and my Nexus 10 (tablet, not a phone) for almost exactly 2 years.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    My ZTE Zmax (Z970) plays MPQ better, and for longer periods without needing to charge than my co-workers I-Phone 6 and my wife's Note 4. I actually did 4 consecutive hours of MPQ and Future Fight while in the hospital.. then i was down to 39%, so i charged it up.

The Zmax can be bought for under $200 (got mine for $99 on sale at wal-mart, just put my T-mobile sim into it)

so my little $99 phone destroys my co-workers iphone 6 so far in every test we have run, except for the camera, the iphone did take better photos, although i won for shutter speed and zoom focus speed.

The difference is not the internal hardware... the difference is, the Z970 is almost pure Android, no bloatware, and pretty much nothing pre-installed.

The #1 drawback.. i cannot play while the phone is plugged in, for some reason it overheats.