Queued nodes overwritten by retaliations

udonomefoo
udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I know this is a known problem, but I'm trying to get a handle on if/how I can mitigate it. In the hulk pvp I stumbled into two different NJusticeLeague players worth 70+. My plan was to save them as long as possible to make that final push quicker. I was at 675 and got hit twice. The two retals appeared over the two that I was saving, when I skipped the retals they were both gone.

I found another high point match, but didn't have time to play it just that second. Got hit ONCE and it overwrote that one node. Is there anything known about what causes this (what device it's being played on, etc) or how to reduce it's impact? The higher end is hard enough when I'm getting constantly attacked, taking away the few high point targets I find is just demoralizing. Especially when I get hit by someone with 101 points, lose 40+, retal is worth 10, and my high point node is now gone. Makes me want to destroy that person who hit me, but I can't do anything but give them another juicy retal.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:
    I know this is a known problem, but I'm trying to get a handle on if/how I can mitigate it. In the hulk pvp I stumbled into two different NJusticeLeague players worth 70+. My plan was to save them as long as possible to make that final push quicker. I was at 675 and got hit twice. The two retals appeared over the two that I was saving, when I skipped the retals they were both gone.

I found another high point match, but didn't have time to play it just that second. Got hit ONCE and it overwrote that one node. Is there anything known about what causes this (what device it's being played on, etc) or how to reduce it's impact? The higher end is hard enough when I'm getting constantly attacked, taking away the few high point targets I find is just demoralizing. Especially when I get hit by someone with 101 points, lose 40+, retal is worth 10, and my high point node is now gone. Makes me want to destroy that person who hit me, but I can't do anything but give them another juicy retal.

It would be great if Retal nodes were just placed outside of the PVP Node Circle as extra nodes. This way you have more PVP battles and you can save all of your nodes.
  • udonomefoo

It would be great if Retal nodes were just placed outside of the PVP Node Circle as extra nodes. This way you have more PVP battles and you can save all of your nodes.

Yeah, that would be great. Do you (or anyone else) know if there is a definite pattern to how the retals appear? Today it seems to be bottom left first, then top center then bottom right, but I have never paid enough attention to see if that's consistent. At least then I'd know to never try to save a target on the bottom left.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:

Yeah, that would be great. Do you (or anyone else) know if there is a definite pattern to how the retals appear? Today it seems to be bottom left first, then top center then bottom right, but I have never paid enough attention to see if that's consistent. At least then I'd know to never try to save a target on the bottom left.

If I had to guess, it's related to where they hit you.

The only way to avoid this is not wasting iso searching for targets before your surge to 1k (or whatever your goal is). Or pray.
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Do you (or anyone else) know if there is a definite pattern to how the retals appear? Today it seems to be bottom left first, then top center then bottom right, but I have never paid enough attention to see if that's consistent. At least then I'd know to never try to save a target on the bottom left.

My pet theory is that retals overwrite the node that has the highest score or lowest score relative to you first, choosing by point differential.

So you saved a seed team until you have 650 points and it's only worth 5? First hit on you will replace that one. (Although I tend to leave the saved seed team on the bottom right).

So you queued up a couple of big hitters at 70+ and you have another random at 38? First hit will replace the one with more points, and the second will hit the other big point node, leaving you with 2 reds and the random 38.
  • udonomefoo
    Best mitigation is to push to first shield quickly, in one go. Don't even give a thought to "saving" anyone, as nothing is safe.

Then start picking targets while shielded. When you hop, make it fast; no hits means no retals means no problem with lost targets.

No problem, right?

Easy-peasy! icon_lol.gif