4* cover math

mjh
mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
with legendary tokens coming that give guaranteed 4*s and DDQ giving 1 every 5 days, I wanted to look at some basic timelines.

17 4* characters, the 18th coming very soon. icon_devildino.png can't be obtained through tokens though.

17 characters x 13 covers = 221 covers

At 1 every 5 days (0.2 covers/day) that equals 1,105 days. That's 3 years. That's how long it will take for them to start cycling icon_eek.gif

Let's add 3 more every 7 days, assuming you reach 1k per pvp. That's 4.4 covers/week. Now it's up to 0.63 covers/day. We're already down to 350 days. Just under 1 year.

Let's add in 1300 legendary tokens from Final Progression Reward (FPR) in PVP and FPR token in PVE, assuming that is where they will be. It starts to add a lot of variables but you get the idea. At the very least a purely casual player, and by casual I mean you can hit 1k every event and FPR in PVE, you can earn all covers in under a year. Assuming you get no duplicates and they all fall the way you want.

I left out rewards for 1st in PVP and t2 in PVE because have you seen PVP scores lately? Do you like having a life and sleep? Forget about PVE

If someone wants to continue this math, let's discuss further
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Time to cover them doesn't really matter when the iso flow can't keep up
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not sure that's super different from how long it has taken to cover my 3*, realistically. That said, it will probably take me longer to cover my handful of 4* than it has taken me to cover ~39 3*.

Why? I don't have time to grind for placement in PVE and my roster isn't quite leveled enough yet to grind for 1k/1300 in PVP. I can hit around 800 in an event with a roster full of 104s if I'm in an easier bracket, but that ends up being my ceiling.

I'm not far from beginning to level my 3*. I've waited this long mainly because PVE is the bulk of my MPQ play, and I'm being super cautious so as not to screw myself on scaling.
  • mjh
    DFiPL wrote:
    Why? I don't have time to grind for placement in PVE

I left out any 4* rewards for 1st or 2nd in any event because nobody can get those
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I put hard to tell. I am currently in the 4* transition with six 4* either fully covered or playable. The question I am starting to ask myself is do I want to start actually playing PVE for that legendary token. If I do add in DPDQ token I might move up my ore 4* a lot quicker. The issue with tokens is you might pull a cover you don't need. The tokens will also be the prize for seasons. I think this is a good start. A couple more opportunities to earn tokens and it will be solid.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I voted hard to say. I wonder how DDQ will add to the 4* transition.

A lot of my 3* transition was done through DDQ. When Deadpool knocked at the door I had nearly every 3* very much undercovered. Thanks to that I could enter nearly every event and my solid stable of 2* could snath those 3* covers from Deadpool's jaws. It was sometimes painfull, but from the get go I could get the 3* with my 2*.

As described the new 4* DDQ node not only needs to have a specific 4* available, but this specific character will have to be one doing the heavy lifting. Since my 4* are awefully undercovered I don't see it happening for me. If you can't grab 4* in DDQ with your best 3*, then it doesn't look like a "transitioner" helping tool. It seems more like it's designed to help the people already playing the 4* game to strengthen their roster faster.

If I understand it correctly my best chance of getting legendary tokens is through max progression in PVE. It's better than nothing but I don't know right now how much it will affect my roster compared to the massive impact DDQ had on my 3* (if I remove every DDQ cover from my roster, none of my 3* would be playable right now after one year).
  • Unknown
    edited September 2015
    Lee T wrote:
    -snip-
    A lot of my 3* transition was done through DDQ. When Deadpool knocked at the door I had nearly every 3* very much undercovered. Thanks to that I could enter nearly every event and my solid stable of 2* could snath those 3* covers from Deadpool's jaws. It was sometimes painfull, but from the get go I could get the 3* with my 2*.

-snip-
    (if I remove every DDQ cover from my roster, none of my 3* would be playable right now after one year).
    This is an understandable missconception. Yeah some covers are a tad rare (BP black, cMags red, Blade green), but we usually forget about the amount of covers sold after completing a build with DDQ covers. So you got your 4th and 5th LCap red on DDQ (be it rotation or taco token)? Nice, but you will most likely quickly forget about the 4 other ones you sold after you alredy had 5.

About the 5*s themselves, it was said that you dont need 8+ covers for them to be usable. Surfer will have 14k HP and a bit over 150 match damage as soon as you get ONE cover, plus the 15lvs you will be able to put on him right away.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    I'm guessing it'll take longer for me than it previously has, and been pretty slow up til now. The DDQ 4*, as I understand it, will require you to have at least a semi-usable 4* available to complete the 1 on 1 battle. I have a total of one semi-usable 4*, and lots of currently useless 4* due to lack of covers, so my prospects to gain weekly covers in the DDQ 4* are decidedly slim.

I was already having a tough time reliably hitting the 1000 point pvp progression, and the increased competition to try and get to 1300 now will likely make things even tougher. So what passed as a transition for me, will most likely stall.
  • Konman wrote:
    I'm guessing it'll take longer for me than it previously has, and been pretty slow up til now. The DDQ 4*, as I understand it, will require you to have at least a semi-usable 4* available to complete the 1 on 1 battle. I have a total of one semi-usable 4*, and lots of currently useless 4* due to lack of covers, so my prospects to gain weekly covers in the DDQ 4* are decidedly slim.

I was already having a tough time reliably hitting the 1000 point pvp progression, and the increased competition to try and get to 1300 now will likely make things even tougher. So what passed as a transition for me, will most likely stall.
    Ask your alliance for WXF team ups and you are good to go. You know those TU boosts nobody uses? Now its time.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Konman wrote:

Ask your alliance for WXF team ups and you are good to go. You know those TU boosts nobody uses? Now its time.

You don't know my alliance icon_lol.gif
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    ShionSinX wrote:
    This is an understandable missconception. Yeah some covers are a tad rare (BP black, cMags red, Blade green), but we usually forget about the amount of covers sold after completing a build with DDQ covers. So you got your 4th and 5th LCap red on DDQ (be it rotation or taco token)? Nice, but you will most likely quickly forget about the 4 other ones you sold after you alredy had 5.

I see your point but without DDQ a majority of my 3* are minus 2/2/1. Spread on 40 characters that's probably about 150/170 covers (depending on when they entered rotation and the few DDQ I missed). Believe me I have not sold enough superfluous 3* covers to compensate for that. It's only a matter of time though and it will probably be true in six month from now.

Be that as it may it can't be argued that DDQ is a huge help to strenghten your 3* roster, even if you start playing it with a few 3* covers and a lot of maxed 2*. I'm wondering if it will be true as well for 4* as the model they've chosen doesn't seem to follow the same guidelines.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Konman wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Konman wrote:

You don't know my alliance icon_lol.gif
    Here is something to think about. The 4* doc DPDQ might not need be fully useable. This is being built to allow 4* progression not hammer the player base. If it is personal scaling then a lower level semi covered 4* could win. I don't think you will be winnin with a 0,0,1 4* but a 4* with 5 covers could win.
    4* DPDQ will also make more players put ISO into their 4* if the one on one battle is set to a specific #. So if the one on one battle opponent is always level 120 players who have 4* at level 70 will invest ISO into them so they can win the battle.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    mjh wrote:
    At the very least a purely casual player, and by casual I mean you can hit 1k every event and FPR in PVE

Wat....?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted way to long. It's way to long just to cover them....but consider the ISO needed, and I could add way more "way"s before the "to long".
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Raffoon wrote:
    mjh wrote:
    At the very least a purely casual player, and by casual I mean you can hit 1k every event and FPR in PVE

Wat....?
    Agreed! That's a seriously weird view of what "casual" means.
  • Raffoon wrote:
    mjh wrote:

Wat....?
    Agreed! That's a seriously weird view of what "casual" means.
    Maybe his 'casual' means T100 in PvP, and nowadays even 1k is short for that depending on slice and bracket.
  • mjh
    mjh wrote:
    At 1 every 5 days (0.2 covers/day) that equals 1,105 days. That's 3 years. That's how long it will take for them to start cycling icon_eek.gif
    Yes, I am quoting myself because this fact has been on my mind since I made this thread. I am surprised no one else is bothered by this.
  • If you consider that this as an extra legendary token in a place we didn't have anything before, then it's an extra 0.2/day 4* or better.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    I voted "other" because I want to wait and see how it looks after a couple of weeks. Between Legendary tokens in PvE and a 4* in DDQ, I'm sure that will help. The overall flow of 4*s hasn't been incredibly bad considering the current odds - I've managed to land a few from event tokens in addition to picking up about 90% of the 1k pvp progression rewards and the last few Alliance Season rewards - but having 8-10 covers for IW and Star-Lord while 4hor sits at 0/3/2 is incredibly frustrating.

The ISO thing needs to be addressed as well. The simplest solution is to adjust the base win rewards - PvE needs to go from 20 to 50, and PvP from 70 and 140 to 100 and 200.
  • In a year of "casual" play you can get almost every 3* character fully covered, with a handful of usable 4* characters. Another year to cover the 4*s seems pretty reasonable to me. Realistically though I think it will go much faster, you still get random 4* characters from heroics and other packs (I actually pulled three 4*s from this seasons 10-pack), and you will push harder for certain covers that you want when they show up as rewards (and have a roster that is developed enough to attain them).
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    Time to cover them doesn't really matter when the iso flow can't keep up

I disagree, covers matter far more than ISO for the 4* tier (Captain Falcon excepted) and the game's current ISO flow is enough to handle bringing them up to usable levels. If you want to max every one you're going to have problems, but there are quite a few you should never ever need to bring up far enough that it will make a big dent in your resources. Honestly, the shift to a 4* meta has actually helped my ISO situation.