Suggestion: Shielded players are visible in PVP queue

Konman
Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2015 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
A major complaint about how PVP works, is that when a player drops a shield, they are immediately attacked by multiple opponents, losing a significant amount of points, and effectively removing any real chance of earning a desired progression reward.

The players with the biggest rosters and highest point totals in PVP are already shielded by this point, content with their progression earnings and event placement. Any players that want additional points are dropping shields, making them visible as one of the few targetable high point matches, and as the only viable target, they get attacked by everyone almost immediately. This is especially true to players attempting to transition from 3* to 4* characters, where the 1000 point PVP progression reward is the only consistent potential source of 4* covers.

If all the shielded players were still visible, then the total number of high point value targets would substantially increase, making it less likely that a single player would be everyone's target, spreading the attacks around among multiple potential targets. And of course the shielded players still take no damage from losses, but gain the potential of points from defensive wins.

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only downside I see to this is that it opens up a more aggressive style of play where you specifically queue up people above you in your leaderboard while they're shielded and then keep checking for them to be unshielded so you can move them down the leaderboard while increasing your score. Not only could this get contentious (though it's not that much different from pre-shielding feeding frenzies), but it would encourage server-loading behaviors, with people refreshing leaderboards very frequently.

Also, it would probably increase overall scores, but that can be dealt with by updating reward tiers appropriately.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    DayvBang wrote:
    The only downside I see to this is that it opens up a more aggressive style of play where you specifically queue up people above you in your leaderboard while they're shielded and then keep checking for them to be unshielded so you can move them down the leaderboard while increasing your score. Not only could this get contentious (though it's not that much different from pre-shielding feeding frenzies), but it would encourage server-loading behaviors, with people refreshing leaderboards very frequently.

Also, it would probably increase overall scores, but that can be dealt with by updating reward tiers appropriately.

There is already a way to limit the "field of vision" in your queue though. I hardly ever see full point value battles, and those are typically from retaliations. Sort of a "striking distance" I suppose to prevent targeting just the top ranked players. Or maybe remove the indicator that shows when a character is or isn't shielded, that way, there can be no outward appearance to know when a shield is in place. Remove the little octagon symbol, and unless you are actively coordinating with a player, you won't really know if there is a shield or not.
  • Likely not going to happen.

There have been bugs in the past where a shielded player was still visible. The most immediate one that comes to mind was season 1's Top Gun (Falcon) PVP. A player named kyip was shielded but still visible. He took enough hits netting the occasional (or intentional once people figured it out) defensive victory so his points kept climbing. So people kept hitting. And everyone's points went higher and higher. In small chunks kyip ended up at 1900+ with somewhere between 4-900 of those points from defensive victories. This was back when losses counted a little bit more, but the cap on a fight was 50, not 75. People who struggled usually to hit 1100 (which used to be the 3* cover level back then) were going to 1300 with ease. 1400 before shielding. 1700-2000 for the event.
    From one person shielded and still able to be queued.

Imagine a whole field like that. Progressions would have to be moved higher and higher, and each event would be like a 60 hour lightning round.

Not really the solution to the problem you're having.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    j12601 wrote:
    Likely not going to happen.

There have been bugs in the past where a shielded player was still visible. The most immediate one that comes to mind was season 1's Top Gun (Falcon) PVP. A player named kyip was shielded but still visible. He took enough hits netting the occasional (or intentional once people figured it out) defensive victory so his points kept climbing. So people kept hitting. And everyone's points went higher and higher. In small chunks kyip ended up at 1900+ with somewhere between 4-900 of those points from defensive victories. This was back when losses counted a little bit more, but the cap on a fight was 50, not 75. People who struggled usually to hit 1100 (which used to be the 3* cover level back then) were going to 1300 with ease. 1400 before shielding. 1700-2000 for the event.

Imagine a whole field like that. Progressions would have to be moved higher and higher, and each event would be like a 60 hour lightning round.

Can you please post this every time a certain someone asks for high level seed teams?
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    j12601 wrote:

Can you please post this every time a certain someone asks for high level seed teams?

Sadly, the last time I posted it, it was replied to by that same someone with "this is why we need high level seed teams"

iWKad22b.jpg
  • DayvBang wrote:

that can be done already if you wanted to sit and wait, but why would any sane player do that if there plenty of high value targets all around? i hardly look at the names i only have time to check the point values before i swap or play a match. you can have all your alliance mates wait and attack them while you are in a close race. all kinds of strategies can be used like boosting i think that it was an ingenues strategy that allowed players to game the system to hit the progressives in a mutual beneficial way like two gladiators teaming up in a free for all. this game is such a time suck to grind through this allowed them to move on with theirs merry lives with rewards in tow. i would of swapped in a low level team after reaching the progressives and let my points fall to the floor kind of like a Robinhood of points. fight for a 3* when i got 2 4*s ? no thank you.
  • j12601 wrote:

the-best-of-the-skeptical-3rd-world-kid-meme.jpg
    So your telling me for that for 1 person to be visible while shielded in a single event everyone gets the progressive rewards?

Alright team we need to coordinate our shield purchases to the second to strain the system enough to produce a bug then we all beat on them and win both progressive and get all season rewards in one event becomes new meta.