Discussion: Should topics be moved to the Suggestions forum?

Raffoon
Raffoon Posts: 884
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Well, I made this thread:
viewtopic.php?style=1&f=8&t=32562&p=405661#p405661

And it got moved to the Suggestions forum, (of course! icon_e_biggrin.gif ).

I think, as stated in that thread that moving things to the Suggestions forum shouldn't be the policy. The Suggestions forum is far less visited and so less feedback from the community will come from threads posted there.

Does this thread get to stay in the General discussion section, since I'm not suggesting anything, instead I'm opening a discussion about forum policy? If not, then every thread containing an opinion should go there, since they'd be suggesting that you follow their opinion.

Or perhaps opinions are allowed in the General discussion board, but you can't suggest a way to make things better? Only non-constructive criticism on the General forums, thank you very much! If you make it constructive by offering a suggestion, then we'll put it over in that dark corner of the forums that no one visits.

Comments

• blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    To answer the title question, yes. In fact, I wish they did this more often.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since this isn't really related to MPQ, we should probably move this thread to Off-Topic. And no, you don't get a pass for putting "Discussion" in the subject line.

icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a moderator on a completely different forum, I very much appreciate that not everything goes in General Discussion just because it has more traffic. After all, if everything is in General anyway there's no need to visit the other subforums at all...
    That said, I suppose it could be worth discussing making the Suggestions forum a subforum to General Discussion, that way more people may find their way there.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    The "MPQ" part of "MPQ General Discussion" is there only so that mods can easily differentiate it from the "General Discussion" forums in the ATPQ and MtGPQ sections. Otherwise, it's a dumping ground for any game or forum related discussion that does not fit in to another forum. Anything that's not related to MPQ, ATPQ, MtGPQ, or the forums goes in the "Off Topic" forum.

The suggestions forum is only sparsely visited because people like the OP believe that nothing posted there is ever read. You're wrong. The devs are more likely to read that section than General. Why? Because it's the section that most concerns them and the people that do post there generally do so constructively.
  • Eichen
    Eichen Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    There is a Suggested Forum that actually gets read?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    So many of my cool discussions got shoved over to the Suggestion discussion where it disappeared from lack of views and feedback. Meanwhile the General Discussion is filled with the same boring nonsense (for the most part).

If we had a "Complaining & Venting" forum then the General Discussion would be nearly empty.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    FWIW, which prob isn't much - I read the forum by going to Board Index>Active Topics so it really doesn't matter where it goes in terms of me seeing it.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's like this.

It should be put wherever developers read it.

If developers only want to read it if its liked by lots of posters and not read all suggestions?
    Create a singular mega suggestion thread.

If they scour through suggestions anyway?
    Move em as you please.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    I understand the desire for organization. In a perfect world, everything would be perfectly organized into neat little subforums and everyone would visit them all.

The way the world is, the suggestions forum is visited by a LOT fewer people than the general forum. And lately the general forum hasn't even be super active. Putting things into the suggestions forum may not stop the developers from reading things, but it will certainly stop a lot of players from reading and providing their feedback on the ideas.

And then there's the issue of consistency. I had a thread moved to the suggestions forum right as people were starting to discuss it. Meanwhile a thread with a title along the lines of "IceIX may I suggest" sat in the general forum for over a week, and I believe it might still even be there. There are plenty of other suggestion threads that are allowed to remain in the General forum as well. It doesn't make sense that some should be allowed to stay in the main area that many people read, while some are thrown into a corner where fewer people go.

I think it should be up to the poster where they want to put their thread, and unless a thread does NOT fit somewhere, it shouldn't be moved. By definition, General would fit almost anything that pertains to the game or forums, so I could only see things being removed from the General forum to go to the off-topic forum (in the case that they just don't have to do with the game). Is a thread a suggestion? Yes. Is it also generally about the game? YES! So leave it alone, it fits just fine where it is!
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the devs read it better in the Suggestions forum, then that's where it should go.

It's a suggestion to the game developers isn't it? Aren't they the ones that decide what happens in the game?

The forum visitor has no say, so desiring the general forum to read it, "like" it, comment and pat you on the back is simply for your enjoyment, not for the betterment of the game.

A poster should absolutely have no say where on the forum their own post goes or else we'd have every post in General Discussion, and every post self-stickied.

I seldom go to the suggestion section, I only ever looked there when a thread of mine gets moved or someone links there. That's MY fault, not the forums fault for being organized.